Billy Joel 52nd Street....best version??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Which version of "52nd Street" sounds better and why: A) the new remaster B) the Sony Mastersound gold cd?

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

It's a close one, but the remaster beats the MasterSound disc. It's much warmer and the instruments have more room to breathe.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

prix, this was discussed here recently. As I recall, most people responding favored the remastered CD. I don't have the MasterSound disc, but the remaster is very good.

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

What about the SACD then? I was thinking of getting it...too bad it's not a hybrid :(

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

love thte sacd!

nice sound!

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The SACD is excellent. Not reference-quality, but very good. Highly recommended.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The mastersound isn't that great. Shallow sounding when compared to the newer versions. The new remastered CD is great. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Six thumbs up (I have some friends over) but the SACD is superb! It's a different mastering job (both done by Ted Jensen) and is more natural and less EQ'd sounding. This is a nice sounding album to begin with so either one will be nice. Didn't Jim Boyer win a Grammy for engineering it?

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I agree with everyone here. The SACD is by far the best digital representation of the album thus far, possibly ever. 52nd is a marvelous album.

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I really like the remaster, best version I've heard. I haven't heard the SACD yet. I don't like the idea of buying an album and only being able to play it on the living room stereo. Every SACD should be hybrid!

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

True, but I solve the problem (at least as far as having something for the car) by burning a CDR via analog outs (2 channel of course).

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No, every player should play SACDs. And they will.

I'm quite anti-hybrids, although I have over 200 of the buggers. I simply don't want the CD layer; I'll never use it and I don't like paying for it.

There is another reason too. They are harder for the SACD player to read. If it's slightly out of adjustment you can bet that it's the hybrids that it will have trouble with. Actually, that's an issue I'm struggling with at the moment with my new hot-rod XA-777ES. Two Jacintha's will not play properly - another thread.

Now as far as 52nd Street goes on SACD - yes, this is the one. As good as the record.

One thing that amazes me is that "Piano Man" is not on SACD. I have all Billy Joel SACDs (plus the classical "Fantasies and Delusions") and I love them all, but I can't understand why "Piano Man" was not in Sony's sights. This is a monster album, and it's a cassette I play regularly in the car. It sounds awesome.

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You bet Piano Man is a great record. It's one of my favorite 18 Billy Joel records.:D

They were probably looking at previous sales. The Stranger, Innocent Man and 52nd Street all sold very well. Up next would probably be Glass Houses and Nylon Curtain and the greatest hits packages.

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Just got the SACD. I like it, but I have noticed a few things missing/altered.

1.) Where's the "Shh" at 0:03 and the "Oh!" 0:05 in "Big Shot?"

2.) The title track has been altered, with things from the song "copied" and "pasted" into other locations. That's the best way I can describe it.

But it's a great surround mix nonetheless.

14. stever

stever Senior Member

My favorite Billy Joel LP is, "Glass Houses," and I wish that was available on SACD. :confused:

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have the Sony 2 channel SACD of 52 Street, played it the other night for a group of people, blew them away, they all loved it.

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Agreed. I just home brewed 24 interconnects to patch my two players through switches into a bass manager and receiver this past weekend. Actually, it was previously set up that way but with $2 manufacturer interconnects. The first disc I reached for was the multi channel 52nd Street. I like it a lot.

Great players on there too, check out Freddie Hubbard or Dave Grusin... But that's another thread.

17. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

The Mastersound version is muted and dull in comparison to the newest remaster. I haven't heard the SACD, yet.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Ted Jensen's remaster for Sony is the best in my opinion... haven't heard the SACD.

19. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Ted did the 2 channel SACD, I am not sure who did the multichannel.

20. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I have early 80's Japanese audiophile pressings of Glass Houses, 52nd Street and The Stranger. I should check them out, its been awhile. :D

I do know the Stranger SACD and Japanese LP are very close. Both beat the pants off of the CBS Mastersound Gold CD and LP. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.