Billy Joel - Turnstiles (Original Caribou Ranch Recording Sessions)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Starting this discussion, as the original thread is no longer open for comments...

Billy Joel - Turnstiles - Original Version?

From Wikipedia....

Disenchanted with the L.A. musical scene, Joel returned to New York in 1975. There he recorded Turnstiles, on which Joel used his own hand-picked musicians in the studio for the first time, and took a more hands-on role. Songs were initially recorded at Caribou Ranch with members of Elton John's band and produced by famed Chicago producer James William Guercio, but Joel was dissatisfied with the results. The songs were re-recorded in New York and Joel took over, producing the album himself.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Forum member markbrow said
    So, can you tell us more?

I'm surprised this is not on Youtube.

3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

If you’re looking for answers for anything Billy I can not recommend this Facebook group enough ... Billy Joel Completely Retold

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Nigel Olsson said that he and Dee Murray played on the album, but Joel redid it because it sounded too much like Elton John.

5. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

It would be fascinating to compare the two versions. Seems like the perfect excuse for Turnstiles deluxe edition.

6. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

So where can I buy it?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

It might be that US and Europe differ in musical taste. Anyway I have the "river of dreams" album on CD and although it's mostly enjoyable, but when we get to the "in the middle of the night" gospel stuff it makes me want to throw the CD out of the window. Sorry.

folkfreak likes this.
  8. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

This stuff is exactly why I can't stand that album

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I reckon Joel's whole catalog is underrated these days, mainly due to radio's overexposure.

It would be really nice to get some early Joel Deluxe treatments, that included things like this.

The Streetlife Serenade quad sacd is very good, and the two 5.1 albums - Stranger and 52nd street are very good. I sure would be nice to get Turnstiles, Piano Man and a few others also

boggs and LivingForever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.