Billy Strings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I wish. I think my days are over making that trip. :sigh:

My guess is that the Doc Watson tribute Friday evening will be on the Cabin Stage. This is a small stage off to the right of the Main Stage that is used for short (about 20 minutes or so) sets while they're setting up the equipment for the next Main Stage act.

It looks like this.

John Paul Jones and Rayna Gellert - Merlefest 2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Hell, you're only 119. I'll look after you and make sure you don't break a hip. We need to add to your photo collection, I'd say it's in the best interest of the forum. I think we could get wide support from crowd sourced funding. Perhaps we could finally get that SHTV tshirt off the ground, we could be like USPS Team for the Tour De France. I'll be lance Armstrong for obvious reasons.

rubberhead and sami like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm sure that's what it is, simply trying to expand his audience. I was kidding with my post, I'd actually love to see Dwight, Prine, and maybe Krauss, but nobody else on the bill does anything for me.

rubberhead and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'll add Jamey to that list

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The first night would be dicey for me. I love Prine but he does a very quick 40 min set and Allyson is Momgrass. Saturday is strong but I’ll stick with my original thought of it being a weird crowd for what billy has been up to. Jamey is awesome but he’s been playing the same set for about ten years. It’s a good set but I doubt he’s flexible enough with it for Billy to sit in.

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

It's going to be really interesting to see what direction Billy goes. He seems like the restless type.

Dennis0675 and rubberhead like this.
  7. sami

sami Mono still rules

It would be the Jamaican bobsled team all over again.

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No way, we would be favored to metal. Probably goad while setting world records. Craig is a ringer.

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Didn't realize that! Then, with you as Lance , we really are a lock to medal. Let's start a forum GoFundMe.

rubberhead likes this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Just scored my tickets for Billy Strings at the Fillmore in Philly in April. Will be my first time seeing him/them. Looking forward to it.

budwhite, sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I made myself not look at the email with the pre sale code. I need to tap the breaks and two night in Pittsburgh is too tempting. I did get in for Ft. Wayne.

budwhite, sami, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

We're considering either the Fillmore or the Capitol again in April. Never been to the Fillmore - good spot to see a show?

13. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I tried to get tickets to the Capitol but they went way too fast. I guess he's hit critical mass because I've seen him a bunch already and it wasn't like this before. At this point, I can't be bothered to pay too much to the legal scalpers that seem to have secured plenty of tickets for a show where I'd likely be the furthest away I've ever seen him.

rubberhead, budwhite and sami like this.
  14. sami

sami Mono still rules

Don't disagree. We have GA tickets for the Capitol next month, but after seeing two blazing hot club shows right in front of the band I have trouble imagining a theatre show having the same impact.

budwhite and Jerquee like this.
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I've only been there a couple of times but I do like it. upstairs/downstairs type of view. Lower level is all open I believe with some tables upstairs and a couple of row of seats around the rails, balcony boxes I believe they are called. Bars upstairs and downstairs also.

sami likes this.
  16. sami

sami Mono still rules

Sounds like the old Ritz in NYC, which was one of my favorite places to see shows back in the day. Thanks for the info.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

18. sami

sami Mono still rules

All of the above?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

20. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That was great. I saw I'm With Her last year and they were phenomenal. I liked the de-tuning move during Billy's solo on Hear Jerusalem Moan. Reminds me of the detuning stuff Derek Trucks used to do during Evil Clown back in the Derek Trucks Band days. I miss that band terribly....

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, I certainly wouldn’t mind a hiatus from Susan for a bit. A collaboration with warren wouldn’t suck.

sami likes this.
  22. DrLunchbox

I don't dislike the TTB, I just REALLY liked the DTB a whole lot more.

Ryan Donahue, sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m a big fan of the late era ABB when Derek and Warren we’re running the show. Amazing guitar work and Greg would wake up every twenty minutes for a verse or two. For me, TTB is mostly Susan singing the blues and her range is fairly limited. I don’t dislike it but every album they make has been one and done for me. The live shows are fun but I won’t travel far from home to catch them.

budwhite and sami like this.
  24. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm really glad you said that because the few times I've seen TTB on webcasts they bore me to tears. Workmanlike blues rock, but very 'samey' sounding after a while.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. DrLunchbox

That’s why DTB was so brilliant World Soul is how I described them. They had a bit of everything, were very eclectic. That was part of the appeal. Still probably my #2 all time favorite band behind the Dead.