Biopics You Would Like To See Made!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I'm not going to type up a whole history lesson here and although his exploits were many, he is best known for his single-handed (!) liberation of the Dutch town of Zwolle in 1945.

Looks like the documentary was actually made but was only shown on French-Canadian TV.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How far into dumbing-down the musical histories of '70s rock icons like Queen and Elton, do we have to go before we finally get something of cerebral substance, such as why and how Frank Zappa's art came to be ignored by the world..?

Oooh, can you just see a montage leading up to him taking a crap onstage, and all the drugs he did backstage, then all of the scenesters talking about "what an amazing artist" he is...without explaining any of that, because it would just ruin the pacing...

Greg Gee likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I read his Wikipedia article. A genuine badass.

TwentySmallCigars likes this.
  4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I would still like to see a well done biopic on the life and career of the Three Stooges. Sure, there was the TV movie from nearly 20 years ago with Michael Chiklis as Curly, but it could have been done much better.

Michael likes this.
  5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep,sounds good to me.

Greg Gee likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Joshua Chamberlain (from the Civil war)
    His whole life outside of Gettysburg was also interesting.

Also Mata Hari

Greg Gee likes this.
  7. Luvtemps

The real story of...John Brown[he was more than a madman]is there a director with the courage to tackle this one?

Lightworker, unclefred and Greg Gee like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Probably not. With PC the way it is today, the bad guys would not able to use the derogatory and racist epithets that they used back then.

9. Luvtemps

Folks have to stop being so sensitive about history,put it all in there..as a Black Man I say tell the story.

Greg Gee likes this.
  10. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I agree. Evil breeds in the dark. Shine a bright light on the evil that did and does exist and show it for what it really is. Fear only feeds evil.

11. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Orson Welles would be of great interest, as would the Karloff/Legosi rivalry.

12. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Marvin Gaye. I'm surprised it has not been done but then again, many of his contemporaries are still living, it may prove difficult to do.

13. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

Absolutely! Gene Vincent's life is an incredible and tragic story.

Grand_Ennui and sixtiesstereo like this.
  14. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

that would be a dark one--just ask Jimmie Rodgers. would be a great project for David Chase.

Vidiot and Michael like this.
  15. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

again, given the circumstances surrounding his death, it is a virtual certainty that the Gaye family would ever consent. it's the same reason that the Sam Cooke biopic has been held up over and over again. the family wants the death to be depicted as the result of a conspiracy, not a seedy demise in a motel with a hooker.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

a real no holds barred lou reed story would be good.....although lou was kind of an enigma and I think a lot of the secrets died with him

Hiraeth likes this.
  17. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Richard Feynman.

Brilliant particle physicist. Worked on the Manhattan Project. Watched the trinity explosion without protective eyewear. Registered republican. Accused of being a communist. Had several wives. Had affairs with the wives of friends and students. Experimented with drugs and sensory deprivation tanks. Close friends with all sorts of high-profile scientists. Won the Nobel prize. Evaluated school curricula, and was one of the main detractors of "New Math." Investigated the Challenger disaster. Was accused of sexual misconduct, and fought for women in the sciences.

Complicated guy - makes Alan Turing absolutely boring by comparison (and I'm a huge fan of Turing.)

Speaking of which:

Seymour Cray.

This would be a hard sell for a screenplay. Die-hard nerds only, but this guy was a certified genius. Basically invented the supercomputer. Started out working for Sperry, then Cyber, then started his own company producing the somewhat famous Cray line of supercomputers. Not a lot of intrigue, but he was really eccentric. One of his passtimes was digging a tunnel under his house. He'd debug his computers by pouring over their schematics (imagine an auto mechanic accurately diagnosing a weird noise by staring at the service manual of your car for five hours.) He hated management - famously he would send status reports to his board of directors like "Everything is still on schedule" or "Everything we discussed in the last meeting still applies now." They would schedule an hour meeting and he would speak for ten seconds.

Maybe John Cage?

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed it would! good choice...

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

GG Alin.
    Ozzy

20. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

The ones I've been waiting for are David Bowie, Chris Cornell, Prince, Margaret Atwood, J.K Rowling (a real biopic, not a tv movie) and the Wilson sisters from Heart.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Dick Clark

From his radio career to his early television career, to taking over Bandstand, wherein he quickly ended the all white policy both on the stage and in the audience.
    Included would be his acting career in both the small and big screen, through the Paylola hearings, onward to the TV game shows, and ending with Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve (hope I didn't leave anything out).

It was noted in Rolling Stone in 1990 that over 2/3 of the acts initiated in the R&R Hall Of Fame had their television debuts on American Bandstand.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Stan Lee

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix.
    With actual music and without fantasy violence.

24. Chris DeVoe

You left out:

Play percussion in a band during Carnival in Rio.

The only Nobel laureate to testify on behalf of a strip club.

Became a painter in later life and received a commission to paint a picture of a naked female bullfighter.

His hobby during the Manhattan project was lock-picking and safe-cracking.

They did make one biopic about him called Infinity with Matthew Broderick.

jbmcb and arley like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

That's not going to happen until Janie Hendrix is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.