Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (Feb 7, 2020)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chrome_Head, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

And Watchmen. Say what you will, but it is not bland or generic like most funnybook adaptations.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Trailer #2

alexpop, marmalade166 and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've had my experience with a crazy woman, and I've survived to tell you that... it's just not worth it, son.

4. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Looking forward to Birds of Prey, Margot's Harley Quinn was the only good thing about Suicide Squad.
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead joining the Birds as Huntress is a nice pick up, I hope they give her a decent crack at it.

marmalade166 and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Sometimes it is.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I love Margot Robbie, but that's one of the worst movie titles I've ever seen.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. What makes Harley Quinn special?
    She is a psychopath.
    She is crazy.
    Other than that what gives her the special abilities she seems to possess?

I have seen the movies, but I am not a big enough fan to really know the characters deeply.

8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Truth.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

What makes The Joker special?
    He is a psychopath.
    He is crazy.
    Other than that what gives him the special abilities he seems to possess?

seed_drill and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

She was a psychologist in arkham, until Joker... twisted her to his will.
    Other than that , I don't find her interesting , I prefer poison ivy and catwoman
    They have depth.

11. You "answered" my question with a question...which means you did not answer the question.

The reason I asked is for clarity.
    In the movies Harley Quinn seem to best all comers. If she is merely crazy how is she able to whomp the snot out of attackers twice, and three times, her size with such ease?
    Crazy can certainly give you the mental ability to take on such foes but crazy does not equal more strength, more mass, better fighting skills and such.

I can understand her crazy and The Jokers crazy being attracted to each other and them being together because of it.
    This relationship, because of what the Joker does, would certainly present Harley the opportunity to encounter trouble.
    In many of the instances Harley is the driver of the trouble, the bringer of pain so to speak. Having nothing other than "crazy" on her side makes that less plausible. Specially when none of the story line, writing, or other parts that could make such a thing more believable are presented.

Sneak attacks...plausible.
    Elaborate set ups and traps to get someone....plausible.
    Grab a bat and go toe to toe against other known foes...hard to take.

I suppose one could say she beguiled them with her beauty...I know I am staring at Margot.

agentalbert likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks awful. Young uns are welcome to this one. :)

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, this grandpa decided to throw on the brand new HarlyQ cartoon for my granddaughter this past weekend. What a gigantic mistake! I was expecting more of the standard Bat-type product that's been out for years. Imagine my surprise, shock, and embarrassment when they start dropping f-bombs! Such a weak, obvious, unimaginative way of working. The latest live action show; the Titans, also gets it's jollies by cussin'! Trust me, cursing doesn't bother me. But when I see Hollywood thrusting blue language into properties of a franchise that will UNDOUBTEDLY draw some unsuspecting souls to it....I don't know, it feels like they're cheating in a game they already won!

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm with you here. Harley Quinn being bat**** crazy does not (should not, anyway) make her a formidable fighter the way she is in Suicide Squad. The squad was assembled to attack a horde of supernatural monsters (or aliens, or whatever they were) and so it makes sense to have someone like Deadshot or Diablo or Killer Croc. But Harley taking out these monsters with a mallet was ludicrous. She was cute to look at, but that was about all the movie had going for it.

seed_drill likes this.
  15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Didn't think much of Suicide Squad (tho Margot was the best thing in it), but this trailer looks like big, dumb butt kicking fun. I'll watch it when it hits video/streaming.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I was buying every continuity Bat comic back in the day, but not the TAS adaptation, which means I missed Harley's first appearance in comics, which is worth some serious $ today.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

I have the Mad Love one shot, which I believe is the first Harley appearance by Bruce Timm. They adapted it panel for panel, word for word on the animated show.

Will have to see what that's going for now.

seed_drill likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

45 reviews in - current RT is 91%

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

So Birds of prey is not a Star Trek thing I take it

JPagan likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Seeing it 7 PM Thursday night. In Dolby Cinema.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Watched it this morning and really enjoyed it. Margot is wonderful as Harley, this is the Harley Quinn I wanted to see in Suicide Squad but the PG rating didn't allow. The MA rating (equivalent of a R in the US) has allowed the Director and cast members to be a more outrageous with the language, violence and comedy and as a result we are taken on a more riotous and enjoyable ride.

22. Chrome_Head

My friend didn't want to go tomorrow when the showings start here in the evening, so I will need to eke out some time to go either this weekend or earlier next week. Good to hear some positive things about it so far!

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Worthwhile. Definitely its own thing. I enjoyed the bright, normal looking Gotham.

Very, very violent though not gory.

Chrome_Head and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film and it's crazy fun. Lots of crazy. Plenty of fun.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.