Björk - "Fossora" - new album September 30, 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Aug 19, 2022.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

is bjork entering her lou reed phase

ARK, Max Florian and m00nb34m5 like this.
  2. m00nb34m5

m00nb34m5 Down in the Streetlight

Bjorks songs don't seem to have much of a structure now do they ..they just seem quite random? I mean biophilia and medulla I love and the music is unconventional but I think like utopia this new album probably won't be for me. Still really like atopos though :)

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

I'd be happier with new material from her if she just gave up singing in English to be honest and went back to Icelandic for everything

Max Florian likes this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

I've cancelled my vinyl order now, I'll get it later but I'm not paying £38 for a double album by anyone

Man at C&A and brownsound2112 like this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I really wanted to like this, but honestly it just seemed to be typically meandering Bjork... I think I will hold off on ordering the vinyl until I have heard the entire album...

m00nb34m5 and GentleSenator like this.
  6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

is it just me or does the chorus sound like unison from vespertine?
    i like it. i dont love it. but i like it.

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I hear the essence of Vespertine in small doses in the songs released so far, like your example of Unison in this chorus, a similar use of high-low-high notes for a moment at the start of it.
    Similarly in Atropos there's a tiny moment reminiscent of Hidden Place.

pinkrudy likes this.
  8. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I can’t get into any of these new songs. I own all her albums so far, though I’ve barely made it through the last two. Vulnicura just leaves me cold every time I attempt it. The songs go nowhere. Everyone’s all like “Black Lake” is freakin’ amazing! And I sit and listen to the thirty minute track ;) and just think it drones on forever without hitting anything of interest.

She doesn’t really even sing anymore. It’s hard to explain how she sings. It’s like she just hits four notes. Stop. Hit the same four notes again. Stop. Slight alter for bridge, but still four notes. Stop. And it never builds or goes anywhere. Maybe I’m just old. :laugh: I don’t even need more “Debut” pop music from her or anything. I just need something that makes me feel anything, and has some sense of melody. I think my Bjork days are probably over. I’ll stick with the first five (because everyone always leaves out the criminally underrated “Selma Songs”, which is a total masterpiece.)

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I’ve never been much of a fan of her musically, but this what struck me with this new stuff. It’s both repetitively boring but also quite disjointed to listen to. I wonder whether there’s something in there that I don’t really get, but as it successfully deflects my attempts to enjoy it, I’m not sure I’ll ever know.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  10. m00nb34m5

m00nb34m5 Down in the Streetlight

I get what you're saying I do enjoy black lake and most of vulnicura though. Utopia was the one I couldn't get into. Selma songs is great yes I only heard it recently, saw the film years ago but don't think I remembered the music much because it was SO SAD. A great film that I probably won't watch again for a long time.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I definitely agree with you after those first 5 albums ("Debut" thru "Medulla"), I've lost interest more and more. I admit I was not wild about "Selma Songs", nor did I much care for the movie, which was just too dark and depressing for me to make it through more than once.

I think I liked the last album more than the previous four (?), but I'll be damned if I can remember a single song from it now!

12. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

You’re right, “Dancer in The Dark” is sooooo depressing! But I love that movie so much! I actually own it on DVD. But I can only view it every couple of years or so.

13. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

Put me in the “she dropped off after Medulla” camp too. But I have dutiful bought her records which are art projects now as much as records.

Anyone read the Pitchfork interview. I didnt think she came off very well. Rather entitled and very self involved. Also working hard to present a image of herself that masks her age. Its a little exhausting all the heavy costumes and make up.

I was never a genesis fan with Peter Gabriel in all his make up and costumes.

She is a very unique artist and still swinging for the big statements. But it be nice to see her do something musically stripped back, less prog and more song based and much less costumed.

14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Now yer talkin'!

I'm a Björk fan who likes everything – except Utopia. I gave it many tries. Fossora sounds promising though. Not interested in any "return to form" or "unplugged" Björk; I always want her to forge ahead, and challenge her audience. Even if it's just me. :laugh:

If Utopia never clicks with me, that's OK too.

Artists gonna art.

jfeldt, Nycademon and Turbo2k like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Echoing some of the replies here, this would be on pre-order if the price was right. However, at £37 it most definitely is not. As for the vocals, there just doesn't seem to be any vocal melody. I can only say that this is one of the reasons (of several) of why I don't like Rap - the vocals just make statement after statement in the same angry drone (yes, I am grossly generalizing to make a point).

That said, why consider this at all? Well, the music, which I really dig. Still, with the current pricing it's not something I have to worry about right now, I'm not paying that much, period.

16. terrapinstation

terrapinstation They call him lysosome ‘cause he runs so fast…

Like both “Ancestress” and “Ovule” a lot more than “Atopos”. I could see myself getting into that first single more, and I’m definitely curious to see what other things she does with this bass-clarinet-almost-reggaeton thing she’s doing, but the last two singles have been a lot more satisfying listens for me.

17. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’m totally with you there, Sir - but I would add - she is still absolutely amazing live - saw her in July and consider that probably the best of the 6 times I’ve seen her since 1997..

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  18. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I’d be more than glad not to leave out “Selmasongs” - however, that’s the album I was SO disappointed when it finally came out after the movie (which I’d adored, along with its OST) as (1) it was just a 30-min selection of the total music for the film, and (2) the songs that were changed for the album couldn’t hold a candle to the original versions in the film itself.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I loved the music on that first released song, but the lyrics are an embarrassment. I admit I cringed.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

Utopia is so amazing and gorgeous... you will click with it at some point I am pretty sure! Of course, the production/mastering is way too loud for such a treble album but still, it is a thing a beauty.

It took me 10 years to click with Biophilia. Never thought I would. But last year, out of the blue, it was in my head one day so I put it on and... click!!!

Drawing Restraint 9 on the other hand, I am still waiting... :uhhuh::unhunh:

gd0 and Ouisch like this.
  21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Always interesting how we all react differently to art.

There are definitely several passages in Utopia that are breathtaking.

Biophilia was an instant obsession, achieved Best-Ever status on the very first spin.

I like Restraint quite a bit, but I don't think of it so much as a Björk album as a soundtrack. But a good'un.

NoYesMaybe and JeffMo like this.
  22. NoYesMaybe

I just finish listening to Fossora and it's a beautiful album! To those who liked Vespertine, Medulla and Utopia, you'll probably enjoy it too!

Slipperbisk and vivresavie like this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

hmm - well I liked 2 of those 3 so I’m a bit concerned.

How did you get it early?

24. NoYesMaybe

I slept with her!!! :biglaugh:

ARK and m00nb34m5 like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:yikes:

btw, Latest podcast dropped today, this episode on Biophilia.

Bfunkthe1 likes this.