DCC Archive bjork "vespertine" DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

i found a copy @ amoeba in SF, CA. it's nothing short of stunning. one of the most original and weirdist composers/arrangers/ singers on the planet at the moment. interested in something challenging/ interesting?...

later, chris

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting! I like stuff on the *unusual* side, too... like Kate Bush and Tori Amos.

Can you suggest a CD to help me get into this artist?

Anything else in this vein that you like? :) Theres always new music to explore.... !

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Bjork I would say... Debut, Telegram or Post, but I side with Debut more. Her work is somehow forgotten with the Sugarcubes ("Life's Too Good") and I have to admit, she's a very good actor. She's been the target of a lot of stalkers, because of her seemingly charming "woman-child" personality, although her vocal range is somewhat deep, her lyric content either dark or introspective and choice of technological marvels in video production make her great ear candy.

If you get a chance to see it, her "Hunter" video is kinda cool. Nothing like a electronically-bald Bjork top-naked fantasising about being a cyber-lion.

She doesn't have an amazing vocal range, but what she has is more than inspiring as an aritst from the Icelandic area.

I am sorely depressed as I must have sold my Quiex pressing of "Life's Too Good" in the early 90's. Must be worth $200 now.

4. Ian

Ian Active Member

Debut is definitely the place to start, although I think that Homgenic is, by far, her most intense release (my fave so far) Vespertine makes for a nice change of pace. While we're on the subject has anyone here heard Bjork's very first album. From what I've read about it she recorded it when she was 11 and it contains a very interesting version of Fool On The Hill. I usually avoid "Kid" albums like the plague (X-Ray Specs being an exeption) but with Bjork it could prove to be interesting. Anyone know anything more about it?

5. christopher

her first ("debut") or second ("post") CDs are a good place to start. they consist of songs written just before the band SUGERCUBES broke up and reflect more club-oriented, dare i say "rave", tastes. personally, i love "post".

by her third CD, "homogenic", she had basiclly purged herself of the song stockpile and started writing new tunes. she also dispensed with any band she had and arranged the songs for just voice, strings and beats. "homogenic" is an aquired taste, but features one of the most stunning cover photos seen in quite some time.

i personally don't own "selma songs", the soundtrack to the movie she was in last year, but i heard it playing in a chineese restaurant in the mission district here in SF recently (only in SF!), and was struck by how simple and uncluttered her arrangements are.

"verspertine", her latest, is wonderful. filled with harps, choirs, beats and EQ, lot's of EQ.

another band, though certinly not in the same vein, are THE GOLDEN PALOMINOS. they issued a CD the fall of '96, "dead inside", that remains one of my dark favorites (no kidding, this album is dark. the opening track, which very often i skip because it's so intense, deals with a woman kidnapped by a serial killer).

hey, some folks like music in a minor key. some like their photos in a low key light. who am i to argue or complain, right? one thing's for sure, "dead inside" is a powerful, sober and insightful album that's dressed up as a killer drum 'n' bass club record. go figure...

later, chris

6. christopher

7. Mike

Mike New Member

The first 3 are Debut, Post, Homogenic - just buy them all. And then buy Vespertine and Selma Songs. What I mean is, they're all worth owning, you should listen to them in the order of release. Telegram is basically a remix album so get that last if you want. Speaking of videos, here's a link to the exclusive legit download of Bjork's latest video. Did I mention she appears sans garments? ;)

Mike http://www.showstudio.com/projects/031/031_movie.html

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mike ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.