Black Crowes- Lost Crowes coming on colored vinyl June 7th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bthmusic

bthmusic Well-Known Member

I got #605. Sounds great. The build and dynamics on Cursed Diamond on this pressing are heavenly.

Jam757 likes this.
  2. SundaySound

SundaySound Well-Known Member

#83 arrived here today, 3 days later than expected after a weird shipping detour through Seattle... I was worried about the survival of the packaging, but Collector’s Choice did a nice job. No damage during it’s extended stay with the USPS. Now I just gotta decide if I’m actually going to open it or not!

tinnox likes this.
  3. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

#696 arrived yesterday. Ordered from WOW. In excellent condition. But as mentioned before the weak spot is the spine. Could have been a bit sturdier. Played all 6 sides today. Sounded great. No surface noise.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

It is a must open and play immediately !

Vinyl_Blues and Jam757 like this.
  5. Further

Further Forum Resident

Aside from the other obvious mistakes, when did Song of the Flesh become Songs Of The Flesh?

It's hard to fathom how there could be this many mistakes on one release.

Thunderstorm 6:59
    Lifevest Eight Grinnin'
    Songs Of The Flesh
    No mention of The Lost Crowes
    All record labels show The Tall Sessions when half of this collection is Band.
    Band comes first on the album, instead of Tall.

It's nice to hear that pressing and sound quality is good, which is what matters most but what's with the lack of QC on the rest of this? Why just toss out such great music without even so much of a thought of how it is presented? I'd be surprised if anyone in the band even got a look at this before it was released.

Maybe what they really mean is Lifevest Ate Grinnin' and threw it back up as Ok By Me.

Count me in as another one hoping for a corrected repress in the future, something that actually honours this music the way it should.

6. Jack

Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

The new CRB vinyl doesn’t list Jeff Hill, yet there he is on the cd, so...**** happens. Doesn’t distract from the tunes, man.

7. bthmusic

These are recordings that received no official release, so while this packaging and copy may differ from the prior version, who’s to say what’s “correct?”

Silver Arrow is Chris Robinson’s label and every release through Silver Arrow, whether CRB or Crowes, is top notch. There’s obviously a lot of energy put into Silver Arrow packages. Betty’s Blends, Raven’s Reels, all artwork etc is stellar. I’d think some of these “mistakes” as they’re being called on Lost Crowes were intended or required for one reason or another. I consider this release to be unique and interesting... not just limited.

At the same time, maybe the details fell through the cracks on this one? Either way, I’ll consider it an interesting and quirky edition. Sounds great too. I’m not into collecting for the sake of collecting, but this is one I’d be chasing for its uniqueness.

Jam757 and Jack like this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Really? So the Tall Sessions labels on Band vinyl is just a new feature. So is “Eight Grinnin”. New title for Thunderstorm too, out of the blue. Oh, and this is no longer “Lost Crowes” because that is nowhere to be found now. I see.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

How do a couple misprints on a record jacket detract from listening to a great vinyl record? Total non-issue for me. Now if the vinyl sounded like crap, was consistently warped and/or noisy then we’ve got a serious problem. It’s great to have a better sounding medium for this album.

Jack and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Open that sucker and play immediately!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I’m beginning to think this is not an official release, but a bootleg. Mark my words.

12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I noticed that and that Sunday Buttermilk Waltz has no Night in the title. Then I checked my CD of Lost Crowes and both had the same titles there too.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

You’re wrong (sting me).

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Time will tell.

Graham likes this.
  15. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

So you’re saying that Silver Arrow Records, owned by Chris Robinson, is putting out bootleg records of his music? How does that make any sense?

Jack, Dreaddazzman and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It’s just that I doubt that this is a Silver Arrow issue. That’s all. I find hard to believe that a serious label can put so many different mistakes in a single edition.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  17. bthmusic

If it’s in error, it looks like someone used the back cover art to transcribe the song titles. Thunderstorm 6:54 could be misconstrued as 6:59 due to Alan Forbes’ font. For the Band track listing, “eight” is spelled out as part of the art so maybe it was mistakenly copied over.

Or, it’s an OFFICIAL bootleg on purpose? Ha! These were indeed bootlegs for nearly a decade before being released from the vault initially. Who knows? Interesting and quirky either way.

18. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

That's what I said in post #216.

No way this is unofficial, although if this material had come out as a triple coloured vinyl bootleg in 2002, it would be one of the all time great bootleg sets and all Crowes fans would agree on that.

Now, in 2019, we're so much harder to please ...

Jam757 and Graham like this.
  19. Further

Further Forum Resident

It really amazes me how many people just don’t care anymore if things are done right or not.

20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Seriously? You're on this board, possibly the most anally-retentive forum on all the internet, and you think people don't care about things done right? Thing with this release is that the two most important things were done right; pressing/mastering. The rest, while a bit of a disappointment (and I think not all of it was unintentional), is just a bit of window-dressing and hardly impact the overall product, if at all.

Christopher B and Jam757 like this.
  21. Further

Further Forum Resident

Judging by some of the responses in this thread, yes. Seriously.

The artwork and labels are just a bit of window dressing that hardly impacts the overall product?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I am, as well. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

mick_sh likes this.
  22. Very little has been said here about the mastering. What I gather from the limited general comments is that it's not worse than the CD. We know that the CD mastering was way too loud as usual. I think if the packaging and presentation were not grossly flawed, there may be more scrutiny of the sound quality. Who mastered it? What was the source? If I'm wrong, bring on the accolades over this mastering.

Rockin' Robby and mick_sh like this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Disagree on what? Do you think the album sounds bad, and is a bad pressing?
    Because, even if your issue is just the outer sleeve and the importance of accurate labling, it still looks good, with nice artwork that isn't some shoddy low-res file, so the only issue, really, are some typos? Which really is only confusing for people who aren't familiar with this release - and I honestly doubt that a single person who was able to buy this isn't familiar with it. I honestly wouldn't have even looked at the tracklist, or noticed if people on this board didn't mention them. But I sure as hell would've noticed if the vinyl was of poor quality.

24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Strange thread about Lost Crowes (sorry, now it's all Tall Sessions, although we know exactly that two sides don't belong to that sessions, but hey, doesn't matter either! All errors and mistakes are welcome now!). I think that only one of the forum members that have talked about sound quality do have his system listed. Yet, no word from gorts.

I think we are now in another dimension. The Upside Down or whatever.

Rockin' Robby and Further like this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I'd like to hear more reviews of the sound quality and possibly an A/B comparison with the CD's. I'll have mine tonight and should be able to post something in the next 2-3 days.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.