Black Crowes Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

One of the few decent songs on "Before the Frost..." Good God, that album sucked.

Acoustic Warrior and walrus like this.
  2. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Of all time. Easily.

Clanceman likes this.
  3. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

Southern Harmony, Shake Your Moneymaker and Amorica in that order. Greatest Hits 1990-1990 gives a good overview. After that, it is the law of diminishing returns. I made my own expanded version of Greatest Hits. This is my Disc 2:

1. Sister Luck
    2. Seeing Things
    3. Waitin' Guilty
    4. Sometimes Salvation
    5. Hotel Illness
    6. Darling of the Underground Press
    7. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
    8. Gone
    9. High Head Blues
    10. Tied Up And Swallowed
    11. Under A Mountain
    12. Evil Eye
    13. Then She Said My Name
    14. Virtue And Vice
    15. It Must Be Over
    16. Midnight From The Inside Out
    17. Lickin'
    18. Soul Singing

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Glad this thread was revived.

Just played Lions the other night. About to pop in By Your Side.

I stick with my post a year or two ago...I genuinely love every single album by the Black Crowes. Imo, a totally underrated catalog. Before the frost... + Warpaint. Just aces (imo) - all of em.

5. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

There isn't phase of the band I don't like and even the shows I saw on the final European tour were pretty wonderful. Music stand or no music stand.

So while on the one hand you definitely need the first two albums from there I would steer you to the final trio of releases. Warpaint, Freeze - Frost and Croweology. They are all well worth checking out and represent an under-appreciated balancing act between the drive of the original band, the Jam Band era and a more explicitly Country Rock direction. Though I say that as someone who thought Luther was a fantastic and wholly progressive addition. Not necessarily a common view among people who were all-in from the beginning!

Of the sequence of albums made during the "difficult" years you actually might be ok with just owning Tall / Band from that era. Especially if you pick off the key songs from the other four albums by acquiring some live sets. With that in mind I would definitely recommend the six album digital-only release of the Fillmore run from 2010. Very nicely recorded, wide-ranging set lists, loads of covers and some fantastic singing and playing. There are better shows out there for sure but listening to a run like that as a body of work is a great immersive experience.

6. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I’ve had the Sho Nuff box set for years, always been convinced that’s all I need. I might be picking up The Lost Crowes, as my favourite album is Amorica.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

I second this recommendation. Those were all three-hour shows, 1st set acoustic, 2nd set electric, and with themed encores: Delaney & Bonnie, Beatles, blues, The Band, Neil Young, and Rolling Stones! Glad I was there for the whole run... Great vibe, incredible setlists, fantastic performances. How I miss that band!

Crispy Rob, Rockin' Robby and Bassist like this.
  8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Link to buy?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

They were an iTunes exclusive. All six shows are still there for individual purchase. Normally I would expect to find them on nugs.net as well but no such luck so it is Apple or nothing. At least nothing legal at any rate.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My ultimate BC "box-set" collection would be their 5 shows in Hollywood at the Fonda theater in 2005, October 18, 19, 21, 22, 23. As you can see from the links I embeded in there, the set-lists speak for themselves - Ford on lead, Gorman, Ed... essentially the Crowe's best line up. I was at all 5 shows, and I have the CDs that were pressed at the shows for all 5 nights. They're soundboard, and sound alright - but it would be amazing if they gave these recordings a proper mastering and officially released them, as it would be one of the best live box-sets of all time, IMO.

Here's the audio from the 5th night...

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Second that sentiment!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Greg Gee

100% agree! I would also add Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes At The Greek. Great stuff!

ARK, Jam757 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I prefer Shake Your Money Maker and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. I feel there is more of an overt Stones/Faces/Humble Pie influence on those.

14. Greg Gee

No doubt about that! You get more of that with the first album, which I dearly love. To put the first three in order, for me it's:
    Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
    Amorica
    $hake Your Moneymaker
    ...but that's a real tight race. Picking one would be very difficult. ;o)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I say get it ALL and that includes the solo material by both brothers as well. Musical geniuses no doubt and have left a vast discography and incredible legacy!! My all time favorite would still probably be Southern Harmony followed by Amorica but fantastic albums all over the place. Before The Frost was a standout for me as well as Croweology for Later day offerings. I’m listening to Brothers of A Feather vinyl right now with a big smile on my face!

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Can we get f’n Lions on vinyl please!

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I was going to point you to the existing pressing, but I just looked on Discogs and the lowest priced is $280. Ouch! I have this, but had no idea it was going for that much. I'd list mine, but then I'd hate if it sold.

Clanceman and Jam757 like this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They’re also streamable on Apple Music.

my expectations were tempered by how lame Warpaint was, but even then I was so disappointed. Not really into the Crowes trying to be a mellow singer-songwriter thing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. veon

veon Forum Resident

If/when RSD happens this year, Lions is set to be released as an ‘RSD First’ release... so it could be soon (or never)

Clanceman and Jam757 like this.
  20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think around $100-125 was the most I ever paid for a single vinyl and on a few different occasions. $280
    though is far too steep. I’m sure we’ll eventually see By Your Side and Lions on vinyl again.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Anything except "By Your Side" and "Lions", leave those two until last.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Bumping this thread. What is the overall feeling about The Black Crowes Live album? At the time of release, I heard mixed reactions about it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This one?
    [​IMG]

Thoroughly "meh" for me. Rich was too loud in an already far too loudened mix and it was missing Ford.
    Their best official live release is Freak N' Roll.

24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I like the first 3 Black Crowes albums, but my favorite is Croweology, on vinyl.

25. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Wouldn’t recommend that one. It’s drawn from the last two shows of the 2001 tour, & the band sounds like a tired shadow of itself. Add in a terrible (Rich Robinson assisted) mix, judicious auto-tune on Chris Robinson’s vocals, & the fact that it was a contractual obligation to the record company since the band went on “hiatus”...just not worth your time unless you’re a hardcore fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.