Black Crowes Reunite, Plot 2021 ‘Shake Your Money Maker’ Tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 11, 2019.

1. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

But who will be on it? A bunch of hired hands? Pshffft......

2. dreams-in-myth

dreams-in-myth Forum Resident

Haha.... yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if save for a studio drummer/keys man, that it'll be a brothers only project. Rich has played most of the bass on albums before (Three Snakes and One Charm, Lions) as well as all of the guitars (By Your Side, Lions -the solo on Greasy Grass River) and I would bank on that happening again. Maybe, he'll even attempt the drums this time around. :D

Hep Alien and Bluesman Mark like this.
  3. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Rich will play every instrument.

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

If they get Isaiah Mitchell to play lead guitar on the new album, I would be very interested in it.

5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Yes, in particular if they really let him do his thing. Now, that would be an interesting take on a new Crowes album!

6. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I only know him from the warmup stuff that TBC did pre-Covid. He seems to be a very tasty player.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Hmmm. My liner notes say Craig Ross.

Matthew Tate and dixiedixie69 like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They should team up with John Hogg. I'd listen to that record.

9. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Marc Ford was saying last week that he'll be putting some stuff together w/Sven and John HogHogwould like to hear that aswell.
    Steve has Trigger Hippy.

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Man, can we let John Hogg go already. The dude doesn't have it.

11. walrus

He was great the couple times I saw Magpie, and I like his old band Moke a lot. Honestly, sounded better than present-day CR on some songs. But I can't really get excited about anything Marc Ford does where he's the singer, so...

Plus I just feel bad for the guy, putting all the work into that band just for Rich to screw him over.

12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Steve does have TH, but he's also gone on record, saying he'd love to play with anyone else from the Crowes who's not named Robinson.

13. dreams-in-myth

dreams-in-myth Forum Resident

You are totally correct. That should've come across as "minus the guitar solo" not "- the guitar solo."

violetvinyl and PhoffiFozz like this.
  14. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I feel the same way about Sven that a lot of people feel about Ford or John Hogg. Whatever happened to their relationship with Johnny Colt? That rhythm section was fire with Gormon... Though sincerely, I'd rather hear what Gormon could do with all others involved besides the Robinsons than anything billed officially as TBCs as this point.

15. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

16. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with either of these, especially the comment about Hogg sounding better than CR! Rich did definitely screw the guy over, I will definitely give you that.

17. walrus

He actually hit the notes, which is something CR rarely did in later years. I kind of get annoyed when CR knows he can't hit high notes anymore and just kinda shouts out the words instead of actually trying to sing them. If he's actually adhering to the original melody at all.

Not that stuff has to be note-for-note at a show, that's not the point of a concert, but...CR sometimes deviated too far for my liking and lost a lot of the essence of the composition. (Adam Duritz does this too and it makes me crazy)

18. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

‘It.’ The elusive quality. Seems like a lovely chap but I agree with you.

19. I suspected that may have been the case. :frog:

20. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I've barely listened to the Magpie Salute albums, so maybe his voice isn't as appealing on them, but I thought Hogg was fine live (including with Hookah Brown).

If many things had turned out differently, I would have loved for the Magpie Salute to consist of Rich Robinson, Steve Gorman, Marc Ford, Sven Pipien, Ed Harsch, and Joan Osborne on vocals. And play nothing but Black Crowes songs. And be called The Crowes. Or the Flying Crowes or Crowes & Company or something.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Re: John Hogg:

For me, it's never been a matter of Hogg being able to sing the parts, hit the notes, or command the position of frontman. Sure, he seems like a good and talented chap. But, love him or hate him, for all his faults, only Chris can convincingly inhabit the lead vocals for Black Crowes music.

I and everyone else who loves the Black Crowes stress Chris's deeply soulful and emotive vocal power and magnetic stage presence. But we so seldom seem to stress his idiosyncratic lyrics. Who else wrote lyrics like Chris wrote for Southern Harmony, Amorica, Three Snakes...? Those lyrics are so unique to him, and that's why I could never get excited about other people, regardless of gender, singing Black Crowes music. Add in Rich's distinctive guitar parts (that beautiful sound of Keith Richards crossed with Nick Drake) and they're not an easy group to cover. Even with Rich on the stage, it was hard for me to not hear a Black Crowes covers group in the Magpie Salute. And at the same time, with Rich on the stage, it was hard for me to not want it to just be Black Crowes music.

Marc, Ed, and Steve were always my favorite Crowes, but in the end, Chris has always been most important for Black Crowes music to achieve its legendary heights. I resent him for it, but Chris knew that, and played that card.

22. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Jeez. The last reissue of Croweology was around $45, now they want $60 for it?
    What's with the price hike?

24. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Did one of the brothers get another divorce?

RebLhoj, ARK, Corvus and 3 others like this.
  25. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Anyone know how limited the latest Croweology vinyl release is?

I read last years release was limited to 3000 but haven't seen any quantity this time around.

Or the original 2010 vinyl release either for that matter ....