Black Crowes to issue 2 cd Deluxe Edition of Shake Your Money Maker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I just wonder if the tour will last until Philadelphia.

segue likes this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I bet it does. I am sure both brothers need the money and it's likely written in the contract with Live Nation that the dates have to be completed to get all they are promised.

Even if it is the Brothers with just hired hands going through the motions by the end.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Would this not be the perfect opportunity to ditch the whole SYMM in it's entirety thing and expand the setlist a little while still leaning heavy on the debut?

If Isaiah Mitchell is still on board for the dates it would be nice to see him rip on some later era tunes.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It’s happened before and it will happen again. I’ll never forget getting stood up by that chump in G ‘n R in Philadelphia.

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The point is that demand for this tour is much higher than several people in this thread realize...

6. WarEagleRK

I disagree about the demand. They will likely do 3K or so paid in most places and the rest giveaways for Live Nation to recoup with concessions. Kind of what they would usually do.

Lots of tickets left in Birmingham, Atlanta and Nashville.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. WarEagleRK

Well it was advertised as SYMM and the hits so there will be more than just the debut

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I remember when they were playing 300-800 seaters and doing in-store appearances with maybe 50 people showing up on that first tour. Good times!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

They've already sold more than 3K paid attendances in almost all US markets. And demand (gross sales) is already higher than the usual tour grosses they get...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. WarEagleRK

Where are you getting the sales numbers? I hope they do great numbers, but I'm just not seeing it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

By simply perusing the ticketmaster interactive seating charts...

12. WarEagleRK

Yeah, I did that and I'm not seeing huge sales. You can't see lawn tickets, but as far as seated areas go most shows seem to be half or 1/3rd houses.

13. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

The lawn usually comprises 2/3 of most 15,000-20,000 capacity amphitheaters. And there doesn't have to be "huge sales" in order for demand to be higher than usual (which of course, it already is) for them...

14. WarEagleRK

I'm not sure the "of course, it already is" is necessary because we don't know any actual sales beyond guess work from what is greyed out on Ticketmaster. I'm guessing the current sales at most of these places are what they would be if they played outside in those cities in 2010 or 2013 on those last tours. Beyond that we are arguing semantics. They overshot their target by doing amphitheaters. To even draw much more than half houses paid in some of these 15-20K sheds they needed a good co-headliner and they didn't go that route. Live Nation is going to have to hand out tickets at some of these shows and upgrade people from the lawn to the seats just to make the visual look better.

Live Nation is paying them either way, so they should make out good even with half paid houses.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

16. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I am sure. Here's why:

Since the mid-'90s, regular Black Crowes US tours averaged around a $100,000 per night. This tour is already grossing an average of basically $200,000 per night. And by showtime this summer, the average will be roughly $300,000 per night. And since I agree most shows won't sell out, there will be papering (comp tix), mostly on the lawns. Regardless, demand is higher than usual and just about everyone involved will profit handsomely...

17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

All they need now is Steve on drums and I would say I am all in musically - though if they at least have a competent drummer I would be tempted to get some cheap cheap seat tix

jeremylr and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

Let's move the tour conversation to the tour thread below.

Black Crowes Reunite, Plot 2021 ‘Shake Your Money Maker’ Tour*

19. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

This new reissue sounds like total crap. They ruined the album. Distorted. Muddy. Total waste. And the sound is jacked on the live stuff and b sides. Who approves this stuff?

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  20. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Really? So glad I didn't waste my money on this.

21. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

Hopefully the material will sound better live when I see them next month. I'll have to pull this set out again. I don't remember disliking it.

Umbari and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  22. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I haven't played the CD of SYMM, (1998 remaster), in this set, as I already have it, but on the bonus disc the 2 tracks that are also on that disc sound the same as the 98 remaster when compared. The rest of that disc also sounds just fine. As does the live disc when compared to the plethora of live Crowes recordings, (both official & unofficial releases), in my collection.

Matthew Tate and DML71 like this.
  23. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

As it's a rainy day, I've been sitting in front of the speakers listening to 45 rmp audiophile Elvis, Dean Martin, and Julie London. I'll spin this vinyl reissue of SYMM next, with highly calibrated ears.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

the new reissue sounded just fine to me! played it in my car and on my tv/dvd set up and i liked what i heard. good enough for me.

Matthew Tate and Bluesman Mark like this.
  25. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

My vinyl copy is a solid B/B-
    Perhaps a missed opportunity to give us something more AAA-sounding with greater separation and more dynamics on the upper range, but it is most definitely not "total crap." There's detectable mid- and high-level distortion at points when the whole band is up in the mix, some songs more than others, but the quieter moments sound just fine, aside from some surface noise on the the A side of my copy. The distortion and slight compressed sound is what I would expect from material recorded at this time.

I did have to back down my treble and goose up the subwoofer a bit, but that's why systems have knobs, isn't it? I have a CD copy but since I'm doubtful it will sound much better on my system (through a BluRay player) I'm not going to bother. If I really wanted to put it to the test I might A/B it with my Abbey Road remastered Exile on Main Street. But that seems unfair, as the latter is remarkable for its organic jammability.

No regrets.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.