Black Crowes to issue 2 cd Deluxe Edition of Shake Your Money Maker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

[​IMG]

SMALL BOX 3CD ^ (£18.99)

[​IMG]
    ^ BIG BOX 3CD (£54.99!)

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Amorica still shared a musical association with the first two, particularly Southern Harmony, and is a very good album, but Three Snakes was a noticeable decline. From that point on, there was a lot of mediocrity (I am still surprised Band wasn't released before morphing into the inferior By Your Side), with a bit of a resurgence with Before The Frost. But to these ears, nothing tops the first two albums.

Bluesman Mark, LarryP, Python and 4 others like this.
  3. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I agree.
    3 Snakes is my favorite Crowes album and one of the best albums ever recorded by anyone ever.

TSWisla, Jem, cublowell and 2 others like this.
  4. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

From 1992-1997, they were the best live band on the planet.

Same with 2005-2006.

5. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Because it has such a kaleidescopic, psychedelic sheen to the depth, those lyrics...that mix with all the dulcimer and bells and shakers and 12 strings and zithers and sitars...get the ORIGINAL MASTERING, the original WEA CD or cassette (or 7" box).

One Mirror Too Many, the way the guitars slide in and out of the mix...Evil Eye, with Marc's backward guitar solo moving all over the sonic spectrum during the song?

Better When You're Not Alone...Marc Ford and that wah-wah...

That album is a ****ing masterpiece, and is so full of amazing sounds and beautiful earworms...but the thing that really makes it stand out from the rest of the catalog is that it had absolutely nothing to do with the 3 that came before it (maybe it shares a psychedelic darkness with .amorica in vibe, in places) and they so obviously had zero interest in making "a new album from your favorite roots-rockers, The Black Crowes" and went for art over commerce.

It was the last time they truly did it, but there, for a moment, they transcended their genre, their pettiness, their addictions, their ugliness, and reached into themselves and pulled pure ****ing art out of themselves.

That's why it's my favorite.

And they did it in the face of SO MUCH.
    Marc gave Richard Turner his gold record from .amorica for drugs while they were making that record. Richard Turner still ****ing has it.

THAT'S what they were dealing with while making that record.

budwhite, Skydog7, laf848 and 10 others like this.
  6. duggan

duggan Senior Member

it's fabulous

7. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

It sounds like ass. But that song has always sounded like ass. All the stuff from that era has that late 80s big hair Pearl snare drum sound with lots of gated reverb on it.

****ing annoying. Best thing that the 'alternative movement' did was make that sound obsolete, immediately.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm not saying I don't like it, I just don't think it's as great as you do. (Granted, I have no idea what the lyrics are). Lots of psychedelic s@!t happening, but I don't think all the tunes are really that great, and my favorite from the sessions ("Just Say You're Sorry") somehow ended up being cut, even though it would've been a much needed shot of adrenaline. It's good, but it ranks 5th for me.

DML71 and twicks like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Maybe it's just me but I preferred the band when they were playing up their Stones/Faces/Humble Pie influences rather than the psychedelic jam band influenced material.

10. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

SYMM is a great album, and congrats to everyone getting in on the boxsets, but I'm going to just stick with my original CD (and mastering) I scored at a local shop for $2.

11. rainingdogs

I wish the Crowes would record a new album, all original line-up.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I would greatly prefer Ford over Cease. No disrespect to Cease, but Ford is a totally different level.

13. rainingdogs

or they could work with both, one had the magic on the debut, one had the magic on the follow up...

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Neither the Money Maker or Southern Harmony line-ups are going to record together again. Too much animosity, conflict, and history to overcome. One suspects if there wasn't a need for a cash infusion, the Robinsons probably would not have regrouped last year either.

15. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Exactly, at this point the Brothers Robinson will only hire "band" members at a cheap, salaried rate, even original band members. They had planned a BIG 2020 SYMM tour to refill their coffers, but the "Ronna" came round with other ideas. I assume this belated SYMM box set is an attempt to salvage what $$$ they can from the cancelled 2020 "BC" anniversary tour.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has there been any statement on who is mastering this?

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Am I the only loser who skips "Thorn In My Pride" and "Bad Luck Blue Eyes" on Southern Harmony? They are fine songs...but that record starts so strong I always just want to keep rocking.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

While I agree with the first part that the brothers picked the new band due to them just wanting hired hands and they can pull in the majority of the cash, I think the Deluxe SYMM was planned to be released in 2020 to coincide with the tour and the pandemic delayed it.

905, laf848, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

Is the tour actually cancelled at this point, or just postponed? IIRC, they were paid a partial multimillion advance for the tour, so unless they want to give the money back to Live Nation, they are probably still contractually committed to fulfilling the touring obligation.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I'm really interested to know how the Hi-Res version sounds, thanks for the heads up. It looks as though it's available for purchase right now on Qobuz...if this is the case has anyone heard it yet?

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes

TSWisla, Corvus, 905 and 9 others like this.
  22. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Does the Target 3cd include the same booklet/liner notes?

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Python

Python Forum Resident

No, the tour is (supposedly) on for this year...go to their website (or elsewhere) and you can see all the new dates, I believe it starts - in theory, of course - in late June.

I wasn't planning to go, but one never knows at this point, they are my second-favorite band of all time but the lineup for this tour is pathetic, other than the brothers, of course. And given all the **** between them, this does just seem like a cash-grab, and I personally hate seeing albums (even ones I love) played live in the exact order, a huge part of the thrill of a concert for me is wondering what they are going to play, and in what order.

Since my hearing is so bad that I can never tell much if any difference between original and "remasters," I have no interest in that, just a few songs from the outtakes disc. I already have "Waiting Guilty," "Charming Mess" and "Don't Wake Me," I'm only interested in the two covers (Lennon's "Jealous Guy," which I did see them play live in the early days, and, I guess, "30 Days In The Hole," but wasn't that already covered by some cheesy hair band [Mr. Big?] already, not a very impressive song) and perhaps the Mr. Crowes Garden song I've never heard of, "Front-Porch Sermon."

And I guess I'll want the live tracks I don't already have versions of, "You're Wrong" plus the stretch from "Shake 'Em On Down" through "Words You Throw Away."

And I would also like to read Fricke's liner notes as well...

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  24. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I seriously doubt the tour will start in June, if even this year. The World Wide Pandemic don't give a rat's buttocks about Chris and Rich's finances and taint going to stop killing any Time soon. I'm as fatigued by all this death and destruction as anyone, but that is the sad truth; we are in this for the long haul, but maybe, just maybe, for a few more months. IF WE ARE Lucky...

One day, hopefully, we'll be Wiser for the Time...

Only then, they might get to tour and make sum dosh.

rainingdogs likes this.
  25. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I would argue that. I really don’t like Shake Your Money Maker very much. It’s too much a slavish imitation of the Stones and Faces, with little originality. Three Snakes And One Charm, on the other hand, while not as brilliant as their career masterpiece Amorica, is far more interesting and powerful to me. They became a much better band after they ditched the simplicity of their debut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.