Black Friday 2019 pressing/audio quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Shoppers will be out in full force tomorrow - its Black Friday RSD 2019!

Let's use this thread to post reviews of the pressing and/or audio quality of albums released tomorrow morning. What's merely average, what's a dud and what's exceptional?

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  2. Jerry James

I am particularly interested to hear if anyone has purchased and played the Miles Davis "Live in Tokyo" or the Herbie Hancock "Directstep" - both on the Get on Down label. That label can be hit or miss for me in the past, but I'm hoping these pressings are good.

DeRosa likes this.
  3. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I picked up quite a few titles. Playing the Steppenwolf now and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Bob M., uzn007, landerstnkb and 13 others like this.
  4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Saw a couple of copies of that one in town today. What’s in the deadwax?

5. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Anyone got their hands on the Chet Baker release? Really curious about that one. Thnks in advance.

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Really want to hear reviews of Herbie Hancock - Directstep.

bajaed and DeRosa like this.
  7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

ill be looking at this thread

uzn007 likes this.
  8. Jerry James

I grabbed that one and will be playing it momentarily...

9. Zapruder

It's cut by Kevin Gray.

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The Paul McCartney picture disc has a fair amount of noise before the songs start as you might expect with a picture disc, but it didn't seem to affect the songs at all to my ears once the songs started, I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.

I have posted a video on YouTube showing that lead in noise recorded with a microphone near the speaker, which I've linked to elsewhere but I don't want to spam the boards with it, but if anyone specifically wants a link let me know I will give one. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    forthlin, MerseyBeatle and marklamb like this.
  11. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I'm looking for pressing, mastering info/sound quality opinions on the Geddy Lee.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have high hopes for anything on this label. I'd rather just get the CD versions of those albums since they almost certainly cut from digital. With the HH release, if it was originally done Direct to Disk, that means anything that didn't use the original mother/father plates basically negates to the D2D advantage. Sad part is with the OBI and everything on the RSD issue people will buy it not knowing they got a "fake audiophile" release.

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Will report back when get The Doors Isle of Wight and Pearl Jam Unplugged ;)

14. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I highly doubt anyone will think that. It's not even RSD-exclusive.

I have Dedication, which came out earlier this year. It's not a great pressing. It's just okay. But I still want Directstep, because it's highly unlikely that anyone else will reissue it.

Michael Rose likes this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The OBI strip could trick anyone that didn't do their research or that doesn't know how D2D recordings are made. That's a lot of people.

Looks like Dedication was a GZ in house DMM cut pressed at MRP (owned by GZ now). Great recipe for mediocre to crap sounding vinyl.

Jerry James likes this.
  16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I'd like to hear from someone who actually purchased and listened to it.

17. Zapruder

Miles Davis "Early Minor" - Sounds ok, pressing is super scuffy though. Get it together, MPO.

jdrueke, Satrus and rxcory like this.
  18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I considered that one too, but didn't think I'd play it very often. Do you like the music?

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd like to not waste money on crap pressings, especially from a label that has a history of doing them. I got excited for this release until I saw who was doing it.

Satrus, giantleech and CBackley like this.
  20. Zapruder

Oh yeah, the music is great!

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which is exactly what Bob Irwin told me, and I posted in the dedicated thread. Looking forward to my copy.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Are the scuffs audible?

Erik B. likes this.
  23. Zapruder

I'm only just finishing side one, and they are not. Side 2 looks considerably worse, however...that's the one I'm worried about.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Giving a B+ grade for the U2-3. Would get an A+ if it was like $5 less than the $19.99 for the 3 short song 12" and if the band member names were etched into the wax as they should have been. Heavy vinyl. Seemed like 180g.
    Labels and sleeve colors were big hits with me as was the almost entirely "dead quiet" vinyl and the satisfactory sound. Worth $20? Depends. Nice for a one-time spin and seems handy to have around on occasion. Made for a good snack and tasty treat - a little eye candy and ear happiness..

25. Cue Burn

Cue Burn Senior Member

My Miles Davis "Early Minor" was scuffed and covered with paper fiber. I did a quick spin and it sounds good. Music is great, recordings are good. I am happy with it.

jdrueke and djost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.