Black Friday Record Store Day 2021 - 26 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That Swirlies record was pretty much it for me. Oh well.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

don't waste your time.

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Husband behind the camera,though I think she is the boss. The whole d*** family shows up-not necessarily s good thing. Since they moved from the Phillipsburg Mall(RIP) a bit ago,they are now in the Palmer Park Mall,Easton,Pa.,just a couple of miles from my last workplace. In their favor,they do have al ot of stuff in the store,but the used stuff comes from online folks selling box lots. Whenever they whip out a pair of scissors in place of a box cutter,I roll my eyes. Post 9/11 fears? Scissors more dangerous than a single edge razor blade. I think an FYE(previous Sam Goody) is still there(YouTube video from April 2020). The FYE manager knew stuff-a frustrated music store guy and never heard him say:"Way cool!" Maybe RSD works for Spin Me Round but a real store would see that RSD is a ripoff for the stores(crappy markups) and the customers(too expensive for net results.

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

huh. i've got plenty of what you would call "real stores" in my area, and they all participate. one even hands out bacon and coffee to the line in the morning.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Doesn't seem like that's the case at all anymore since stores say they do a month's worth of business in one day when RSD comes around. Plus now that they can sell remaining stock online immediately after RSD they're not left with all this dead stock like the RSD rules stated before the pandemic. The main negative for RSD (to me at least) is that it seems to clog up the manufacturing pipelines in the rush before RSD which has contributed to these vinyl supply chain issues we're seeing right now which is why everything is delayed (on top of the GLOBAL supply chain issues and the major labels jumping the queue).

6. jimac51

Bacon and coffee? I have heard of a restaurant next door to a record store making pancakes looking like a record(near Colemine Records in Ohio). A good idea,but RSD has gone on way too long.

7. jimac51

Do they do a month's worth of profit? RSD merchandise. alone-I would doubt it. Volume alone does not pay the bills.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

didn't there used to be a thread devoted to rsd whiners?

9. ElevateMeLater

Yes - by a month's worth of a business I do in fact mean a month's worth of profit. It doesn't seem that hard to believe considering the array of genres and artists each RSD installment has and the promotion necessary from stores and the artists that have titles each RSD. I get the purist "every day should be Record Store Day" mentality but if you don't like the concept of RSD nobody's forcing you to go. RSD helps keep independent stores open so in the grand scheme of things I'm perfectly fine with it.

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I finally took a look at the RSD list and these are the ones I’d like to get. I excluded the Jazz titles because they always seem to go quickly.

Big Brother and the Holding Conpany
    Canned Heat and Memphis Slim
    Johnnie Johnson
    Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction
    Dusty Springfield
    Big Mama Thornton

Someone at RSD must love Canned Heat because every year they reissue several titles.

11. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It's pretty much every RSD thread.

12. ElevateMeLater

I'm eyeing this one too since I've never owned the LP and just had the 45. Are original pressings of this hard to come by? I see most on Discogs in the $10-20 range.

13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Same here. Just had the 45.

Also, for those of you who may have missed it, the Forum has clamped down on sales of RSD items. You have to wait six months to sell a RSD item. Otherwise, you’re banned from selling in the classified section for a minimum of one year.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-policy-regarding-rsd-titles.1098006/

14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Especially when they're lifting boxes around with the scissors in their hands.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. uzn007

That's all the RSD threads.

Greenalishi, Sean and hi_watt like this.
  16. uzn007

It's the only day of the year when I see people lined up to get into my local store.

Sean, hi_watt and ElevateMeLater like this.
  17. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I've never done an RSD before but I have a short list:

Hall & Oates
    Canned Heat CD
    Willie, Merle and Ray
    Big Mama Thornton
    Dave Van Ronk
    Charlie Parker
    Tickets For Doomsday

Did I say short?

18. AnnoyedRob228

AnnoyedRob228 Forum Resident

I just posted my unboxing video of the Omnivore Recordings Art Pepper Box Set.

Twinsfan007, uzn007, Sean and 2 others like this.
  19. jimac51

I have a friend who does decent RSD business,as well he should.
    Local guy abandoned RSD after a few cycles,even tried an RSD without RSD stuff-keeping some incoming used treasures for the same time frame,but I think he wised up and just did his daily Facebook announcing of incoming used titles. He is doing pretty well-bought his retail property outright and made considerable infrastructure improvements. The used market is where his profits exist. Downplays but doesn't ignore new product.
    Me,I was spending 10-20 bucks a week there, till the pandemic. This year,with gentrification finally hitting Allentown ,we were forced(I call it passive/aggressive eviction) to move to a smaller(but,yes,nicer) place for more than double the 2020 rent. My $10-20 allowance goes to things like food and shelter,so spending a couple of hours flipping through used pre-recorded music has evaporated. I miss it but got that RSD thing out of my system a while back.

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

From the Channel 33 RPM YT channel

uzn007 likes this.
  21. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

just read an article for the first time that Aerosmith is doing an RSD release. I never saw it on the list before so it sounds like short notice to me

22. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

It was on the list from the beginning in September.

Also, this is not the first Aerosmith RSD release:
    Aerosmith – Draw The Line (2014, 180 Gram, Vinyl)
    Aerosmith – Toys In The Attic (2013, 180 Gram, Vinyl)
    Aerosmith – "Rocks" (2014, Vinyl)
    Aerosmith – Rock In A Hard Place (2014, 180 Gram, Vinyl)

There are probably more than that but those are a few that I remember.

Rocketdog, marcb and Sean like this.
  23. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

maybe I missed it or forgot about it from back in September. Also, sorry, I meant this is the first time I saw for this particular release. I'm aware of the previous re-issues since I picked those up :D

JRose, FourWalledWorld and Sean like this.
  24. BricksNBeatles

BricksNBeatles The driver of an underground train

Rundgren and Weird Al are still the only ones that appeal to me all that much. The Carole king and Hall & Oates ones would be must-haves for me as well if I wasn’t so sure they’d be expensive. I’ll probably skip this year and see what’s in the leftovers bin the following week

25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Off that list, the only one I’d go for would be the U-Roy set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.