Black Friday Record Store Day 2021 - 26 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

For some annoying reason, that one is only available in every country in the world that isn't Norway it seems. I've got a grey market cd of it and love it to death but I wants them vynilz, man :D

Still, got the Miles and Aerosmith ones. So. Two outta three ain't bad as the fat lady sang.

SJR likes this.
  2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

9 people in front of me
    Only 4 people allowed in the store at once
    Opens at 8am and I have to leave by 8:35 for my 9am meeting…

can I make it?!

Sean and fretter like this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually it looks like it’s only available in one country in the world - the U.S.

4. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

That is what my local record pusher claimed as well. But SJR isn't in the States, so how did he get it? Is 'Strailia suddenly the 56th State?

SJR and uzn007 like this.
  5. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Hopefully the ones in front of you know what they want and can get in and out quick….

6. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

It’s now a “Start Your Ear Off Right” release. Preorders started popping up this week so keep an eye out.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Got:

Little Feat (on CD - vinyl was gone)
    U-Roy
    Letters to Doomsday comp
    Leonard Cohen
    Magma

Passed on Chet and Roy Buchanan for now, I'm assuming those will stick around

Non-RSD: Also grabbed the new Cynic CD, out today (and highly recommended!) and used LP copies of Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend and Dungen IV

Sean, CX4eyes and Classic Car Guy like this.
  8. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Wow i think RSD this year is a wash. The store i went to two hours before opening had 1 person in front of me. When they opened, they had maybe 10. Got everything i wanted, and on way home I went to drive by Rough Trade which usually has insanely long lines. Got there a half hour before opening and it was 20-25 people total. Now Black Friday RSD is always less than the regular dates but that is a radically low number of people for that store. My guess is online people are gonna easily be able to get what they want tomorrow and stores are gonna be sitting on a tremendous amount of product they cant sell.None of the crowd i saw was of the younger types looking for Billie EIlish and Lana Del Ray stuff.

The good that can come of this is hopefully the flipper scum take it in the you know where and hopefully the people overseeing RSD see this and come to their senses and reduce the amount of titles instead of increasing them every year. Too much useless junk that does not need to be there. Do people realize that yes they are going back next year to one day in April instead of 3 drops but there is still going to be on that one day all the product amount from the 3 days? Thats just nuts.

9. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Grabbed these:
    Little Feat vinyl
    Hendrix
    Barry McGuire
    Big Brother
    Motörhead
    Chris Isaak
    Hall and Oates
    Carol King
    Aerosmith

Passed on life aquatic

10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Interested to hear your opinion, particularly on Hendrix and Hall & Oates...

11. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Am I still correct in thinking that the Little Feet and the Jim Carrol never actually made it to UK stores in time? My store didn’t have them and told me that about a third of all the originally listed titles had been pulled. I wound up with just The Aerosmith out of my limited ‘wants’ list. Didn’t pick up their only copy of the Shangri Las and I’m already worrying that I might have messed up...
    I have all the original albums as first pressings but they’re not super clean copies to say the least. Any word on the mastering on this one would be appreciated. Is it any kind of ‘must have’?
    But word was definitely out in the UK that whole chunks were being pulled from the day’s schedule so that’s probably why footfall is right down.

12. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Jim Carrol never made it anywhere. It was pushed to next RSD

Tom Wabe likes this.
  13. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Yeah. My local published a list of what had arrived a couple of days ago. A bunch of titles had a red delay notification with an expected date, some had no date i.e. they have no idea when they're due in and a good number of the titles that were on the official UK list weren't even mentioned. Needless to say that their list is considerably shorter than the one originally published by RSD UK.

I was left with only one title of potential interest and I've decided to give it a miss :sigh:

14. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

Are all online sales embargoed until Saturday?

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  15. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Got there 3.5 hours before opening and was 6th in line. Got everything I wanted quick and easy. Line was much tamer today, maybe because of how much got removed from the list?

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I had very good luck this year. I went into today wanting 10 disks and I got 8 of them so far. I will try ordering the The Wrens and Canned Heat & Memphis Slim online. The one thing about the Black Friday RSD is not only are the record stores crazy, all stores are crazy. Things still weren't bad at 8AM but I don't intend to fight the crowds going to multiple stores. I did get all of my "must haves" so I am back home settling in for a long day of listening. The pictures were bit rushed, it was getting ready to rain. The second photo shows the 4 Blue Note Classic Reissue Series cut off and off to the right which my dealer had set aside for me to pick up today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aerosmith
    - The Road Starts Here
    Big Brother And the Holding Company - Combination of the Two
    Canned Heat - Friends in the Can
    Chick Corea & Lionel Hampton - In Concert: Live at MIDEM 1978
    Charlie Parker - Bird in LA
    Oscar Peterson - A Time for Love
    Squirrel Nut Zippers - Lost Songs of Doc Souchon
    Stray Cats - Live at Roclpalst

Sean, RiRiIII and Classic Car Guy like this.
  17. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

What was the Tricky?

18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Went RSD shopping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

My local store didn’t seem to get the usual crowd for RSD, went 45 minutes after they opened and got everything I wanted and they had just about everything.

Hall and Oates (didn’t expect to find this one)
    Aerosmith
    Carole King
    Ray Charles
    Dire Straits
    Little Feat - CD

audiotom likes this.
  20. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I bought the Carole King BBC and the Sons of Kemet 12”. Bagged a half price PJ Harvey Peel Sessions vinyl while in the Store. Happy Black Friday.

21. bluej

bluej Senior Member

I was sixth or seventh in line and got everything I wanted:

Little Feat (CD and vinyl)
    Jimi Hendrix
    Shangri-Las
    Magma
    The Life Aquatic OST
    Tickets for Doomsday
    Andrew Gabbard/Kendra Morris split 7”

22. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

My local store did reservations and I was around 13th or so in line. I managed to get everything I wanted:
    Bee Gees, Big Brother, Larry Coryell, Fleetwood Mac, Carole King, Little Feat, Life Aquatic, Motorhead, Barry McGuire, Buck Owens, Stray Cats, Tami Terrell.

Sean, Classic Car Guy and JeffMo like this.
  23. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

As always, www.parkavecds.com came through for me -- got everything on my list.

Aerosmith cassette
    Dire Straits EP
    Leonard Cohen LP
    Little Feat 2LP
    Wailing Souls LP w/ 12' Single

Also picked up my pre-order of Umphrey's McGee "Mantis" breast cancer awareness pink vinyl reissue.

Sean, BBlank20 and Sydster like this.
  24. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Yeah. It’s a quiet one! Regretted not picking up the Shangri Las first thing - the stores only copy. Decided to double back late afternoon thinking... well, if they’ve still got it...
    And they had. So, the fates being with me, I picked it up.
    Can’t be great for the stores though. This one hasn’t fired.
    The only way that April is going to work is for labels to Re-route stuff currently already in production to being a record store day release. Unless you’re Universal with Universal’s clout, if they’re not already well into the system then they won’t be pressed in time.

25. RacerX

RacerX Forum Resident

Crooked Beat in Virginia for the win.

Stray Cats
    Little Feat
    Isbell
    Johnnie Johnson
    Lera Lynn
    Charlie Parker
    Hall & Oates

A6mzero and Classic Car Guy like this.
Thread Status: