Black Friday Record Store Day 2021 - 26 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

As mentioned in the Little Feat 50th thread, we sequenced it as it appeared on the pre-broadcast reels.

2. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

I contacted Rhino's general email support about this issue. I'll let you (and everyone else) know if I hear back. Although I have Dr. Rhino's email address, I don't want to burden him with this issue, as he likely has much bigger issues to deal with.

maui jim likes this.
  3. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Music Connection in Manchester, NH has quite a few titles available.

JeffMo and uzn007 like this.
  4. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I have done the same asking about the U.K. release and whether it would ever go ahead as intended.

5. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

So glad I did pick up the Shangri Las ( see previous posting up thread) I’ve just had a chance to play it and.... wow! What a wonderful job! The cut is fantastic - I’m hearing little details in the makeup of these tracks - that I thought I couldn’t be more familiar with. My young terrier keeps eying the speakers convinced that there’s a teenage crew from Queens letting rip in the corner of the room.

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m playing The Prophet right now. I’m very pleasantly surprised by this one. It’s a great album and I think it sounds fantastic. The colored vinyl is also very flat and quiet. Just a bit of tape hiss in quiet spots. I consider that a good thing.

I also came close to passing but figured it would be gone if I had second thoughts. I’m glad I took it. It’s sold out everywhere locally.

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It’s really a Charlie Daniels album though, isn’t it?

I find his singing hard to take. Roy seems like a sideman on his own record. Sure, his solos are phenomenal, but I can see why this was shelved.

uzn007 and Greenalishi like this.
  8. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

The “Beat on the Brat” vinyl itself is clean and noise-free for me. The live tracks don’t sound as good as the studio cuts, though I assume that’s inherent to the live recordings themselves.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

"dr. rhino" isn't actually a single person with that name. it's just the best direct route to rhino customer service if you want a resolution. rhino has always resolved my issues when i contact them there. it just may take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. they don't appear to have much of an WEA doesn't appear to have much of an operation dedicated to rhino, or whatever's actually left of that label team.

10. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I concur. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Dr. Rhino.

Once there was an album that couldn’t be replaced so they sent me a very awesome consolation prize.

They seem to listen to feedback and actually seem to care about customer service. Yes, they make take a bit of time to reply - but at least they do unlike 95% of the other labels.

11. Music Connection isn't selling them online yet. Does anyone know any other record stores that won't charge sales tax, such as any online record stores in Oregon, NH, Alaska, or Delaware that deal in solid numbers of BF RSD titles?

Christopher B likes this.
  12. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

IIRC, DustyGroove.com doesn't charge sales tax for orders shipped outside of Illinois, but they do charge (reasonable rates) for shipping.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Wow, no wonder I never got a return message I left with Dr. Rhino about help with s severe cough I had problems with last yearo_O. I will try to contact Dr. Dre next time:agree:.

14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

The second Lp is as strong, or stronger, than the first LP. More even production as well, IMO. I am happy I bought it. Also, Real Gone has done a great job with the releases I have; solid jackets, quiet vinyl, and in this case Mofi quality inner sleeves.

15. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

^ Agree, spun sides 3/4 this afternoon ... really good! :agree: ^

Sherwood SST and sonofjim like this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. I think it’s a stellar release, especially at the price. Limited to 2500? Glad I have one.

I completely disagree with the poster who hates his singing but to each their own.

Sherwood SST and vinyl diehard like this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was not at any of the local record shops for Black Friday but I made early morning excursions to Best Buys, Bed Bath & Beyond and another and it seemed quite quiet. Was this Black Friday quieter than the past in your area?

18. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

It was here in North Carolina. I was shocked with the short line at the record store then ventured out to other businesses. It was the same everywhere. No lines or very short ones. I also noticed light traffic. It wasn’t just the record store.

uzn007 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  19. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

In Delaware, Rainbow Records usually has the most RSD titles. Their website is rainbowrecordsde.com

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  20. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Missed out on the Aerosmith release (I was out of town)
    Bummer.
    Not fair- for the real music fans- vinyl fans- who want to own, listen and add to our collection- not make a few $$$ on eBay flip.
    Crooks asking close to $100

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  21. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Plenty of copies available at MSRP... Aerosmith – 1971 (The Road Starts Hear) (2021, Vinyl)
    But they won't last long. There were a lot of these pressed and available 48 hours after the event. I'm sure some record stores have copies if you search for them.

22. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Ok. I'm going to say it and hope I don't regret it. How can anyone complain about not getting releases from this RSD BF? It was a total flop. In the years I've been participating in RSD, I've never seen it so easy to get the releases I want. I also can't remember a time when almost all the releases are being sold at MSRP through eBay and Discogs. This includes those really low regional releases. For the first time, I could've picked literally anything I wanted from the list showing up less than 2 hours before the doors opened. I also scanned online for the net 2 days after BF and still found all of these releases... easily.

I don't get complaints about not getting a shot at your favorite record this RSD BF. A little effort and you can get what you want most of the time (and 100% of the time this last event). Flippers don't work that hard. Don't open the opportunity for them by waiting for these records to come to you.

23. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Some titles were cancelled in certain countries that remained available in other countries. Had to fight it out online for those.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yep, I bought about 10 albums and was easily able to get everything I wanted. The few things the first store I went to didn’t have (mostly because they’re clueless about jazz unless it’s Miles Davis), the 2nd store did - and multiple copies of it. Actually I wish I had just gone to the 2nd store first because its prices are generally cheaper.

JRose likes this.
  25. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

My local record store is selling their RSD BF titles today buy 1 and get 50% off one. I dropped $250 on RSD BF. I had no idea it was going to turn out like this and could've saved some money. Procrastinators can save some serious cash this time. I'm a little jealous!

timriepe and j4yheindeo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.