Black Friday Record Store Day 2021 - 26 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Same. Some people obviously love and collect them, but I've always thought that picture discs were uglier than the regular album covers, since I was a little kid.

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, but who? seriously, i'm dying to know!

probably the wrong forum to ask that question, i know.

3. uzn007

People definitely buy them around here. That's the only way I know that people *do* buy them. I don't think I've ever seen them in anyone's collection, but I don't know too many people IRL with vinyl collections anymore.

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. BricksNBeatles

BricksNBeatles The driver of an underground train

Yeah. Picture discs usually don’t even look that great— half of the RSD picture discs I’ve seen look like low-quality inkjet prints slapped inside a plastic disc (so many of them have waviness and wrinkling in the image as well). The only three regular RSD picture discs I’ve ever bought were the Q: Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo! Picture disc from 2018, as well as the Monty Python The Life of Brian picture disc from 2019 and the Frank Zappa We’re Only In It For The Money picture disc from 2018— the Zappa because I’m a Zappa completionist, and the other two because visually they frankly just looked really great and I was able to get them really cheap from the leftovers bin a few months after RSD.

I have bought a good number of the die cut discs made of that shiny polyurethane-looking material (such as the Star Wars BB-8, or the Weezer Africa die cut) though, because those pretty much always look fantastic since the image is sublimation printed or something like that, and frankly they play pretty well too, at least compared to normal picture discs— they obviously won’t replace a good regular copy of the music, but they’re a nice display piece and they sound pretty decent.

5. uzn007

Ask and ye shall receive, LOL. :D

6. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Agreed. I bought the Slippery US and UK version picture discs in '87 and the New Jersey one in '89, but they were never for playing! Everyone knew that. Also had some "shaped pic discs" such as Janie's Got A Gun and 18 And Life. They were cool but again apart from playing once, they were for display and collection, not playing. There was never much apart from the BJ ones I wanted. They were not so prevalent here though. Had no idea that they went back as far as '82.

I see these young people on YT playing their "cool picture disc vinyls" and think "noob! You have no idea"

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It sure seems like most of them are still readily available well after RSD release...some even for years.

steveharris and GentleSenator like this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

At least you can get one!

9. Yazid Manou

Yazid Manou Forum Resident

Finally we'll have "The Wind Cries Mary" on the RSD release !!!

YM

10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Too bad all the songs won't fit on a cd. /s

11. BrainOfJHA

BrainOfJHA Pearl Jam high five!

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I would have thought out of print Alice titles like Along Came A Spider and Welcome 2 My Nightmare would be better candidates as Brutal Planet is still in print.

JRose likes this.
  13. jiffyspam

jiffyspam Well-Known Member

14. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

On my want list:
    Dio - Holy Diver picture disc
    Dio - The Last in Line picture disc
    Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden picture disc

That's it.

Dan Steele, Slice and quicksrt like this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Aerosmith
    Tammi Terrell
    Little Feat
    All Them Witches

16. TStranko

TStranko Well-Known Member

Hmm First RSD I have no interest in anything. No Garcia Band or GD shows which is unusual. Looks like my little girl gets more Christmas gifts this year!! lol

Dan Steele, dman23 and wrat like this.
  17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The only things that have caught my eye so far are the Isbell, Lou Reed & Kris Kristofferson and Leonard Cohen.

Any under the radar titles that are AAA?

khanrahan likes this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The Sundazed version cut by Kevin Gray sounds great as well.

Tracey likes this.
  19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

uzn007 and TStranko like this.
  20. TStranko

TStranko Well-Known Member

21. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

I’m slightly intrigued by the Lou release. I see it’s up on Spotify so I’ll listen this week and see how I feel about it.

Also intrigued by the Miles Davis. But I’ll need to do some homework on this one.

Kinda underwhelming RSD for me, but honestly it’s a bit of a relief as I’ve spent a lot on records of late. Possibly more this year than last actually. And I’ve a bunch on the way to me still. LA Woman (50th), Nevermind (30th) and Let It Be.

So if ever an underwhelming RSD was gonna suit me, it’s now.

I was a tiny bit intrigued by the Leonard Cohen but unless it’s AAA I’d hold off.

And the Hendrix… I’ve other Hendrix to focus on first. My collection needs more of the Hendrix standards before I start forking out for live things like that. I did get the Are you Experienced a few months ago. The Analogue Productions one. Super duper for the price.

Beach House likes this.
  22. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Hmm, list is a bit sparse this time around.
    I don't really see anything standing out that makes me want to pursue picking up a copy.
    Even the various artists / compilation selections are not all that interesting.
    Ditto for soundtracks.

Only two titles I see I might be vaugely interested in is Judas Priest and Stray Cats.

This might be one of the few RSD I don't rush off to the store for.

-

23. uzn007

Just FYI the Electrif Lycanthrope release from Little Feat is essential listening for any fan of 70s rock music, but pretend I didn't say that because I want to make sure I can get a copy for myself.

There hasn't been any more sign of that new Grateful Dead Fillmore West boxset (3-1-69) that briefly appeared, I take it?

frogfog and allbrosca like this.
  24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

ENOUGH WITH THE PICTURE DISCS

pressing capacity is already heavily constrained and they’re squandering resources on this gimmicky crap - it’s enough already.

Slice, elgoodo, TheMovieRad and 4 others like this.
  25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The Shangri-Las compilation looks like something I am interested in. Hard to say whether or not that will be a popular item and hard to get.

The Miles Davis would also be a good purchase

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.