"Black Friday" Record Store Day List (2011)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strictly speaking, this ain't true! As of an hour ago, there is a copy at Compact Music North for $50. I guess it wasn't that busy there, as most of the clientele were like me and didn't think that Canada would be involved in Black Friday promotions!

So, there were still some nice items to be had - all the U2 were of course gone, but I did get the Soundgarden and MGMT 7"'s and the Jimi Hendrix 10". Might go back tomorrow for some Metallica and Black Keys and Cee Lo Green goodies if I feel the need.

2. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I spent 150.00 yesterday at my local Indie. Went back today just to chat and see how good a day he had.

I was surprised to see that he still had most everything left. I picked up All Things Must Pass yesterday. Today he still had two and offered a 10.00 discount if I wanted one of the remaining two. He also had two of U2 ep's, so I grabbed one of those.

3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Newbury Comics?

4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

You got it. Thank God for them!

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I so wanted the Sharon Jones single set, drove there on my lunch hour, but $61 for that set, whew. Couldnt do it...

6. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

$61 :eek:. I could have sworn I saw $40 on that set somewhere on my travels, but maybe I didn't see it right.

7. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

No, I think a lot of stores were marking things up.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

J&R still has just about everything there except for the Harrison box (I opened the last one for possible exchange but there were issues with the vinyl/bugger low 800's). Tons of U2 EP's......

9. I spoke with the owner of Kiss the Sky (Geneva, IL) and he said if it weren't for RSD, his shop would have been empty on Black Friday. Everyone runs to the big box stores and never thinks to go downtown to the independently owned shops until the sales are over.

I got there around lunchtime and grabbed the Harrison and Doors records. There were people there dropping 2-3 hundred dollars, just grabbing everything. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that, knowing many items will be on ebay within hours, the prices are artificially inflated so profits are spread among the labels, the dealer, and then you (should you elect to sell). As many people have pointed out, there were quite a few items (example: Wilco vinyl) that was plugged as RSD merch whereas the records have been on the shelves for months. Last - if they were going to throw a Dylan 7" out there, why not "Positively 4th Street" b/w "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window"?

That U2 vinyl is about as rare as Panera bread. Call around.

10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So does anyone know what the profit margins are on these RSD items? Do the retailers pay 50%?

11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I pre-ordered the U2 vinyl a month ago from Vintage Vinyl (with pre-order confirmation) but I haven't received any shipping confirmation yet.

If I don't hear anything by Monday, I will have to contact them.

I just hope they didn't pull their reserved copies from the people who pre-ordered online in favor of people who showed up in person on Black Friday.

12. Amcrebelfan

Amcrebelfan Forum Resident

Well considering that is was supposed to be a promotion in store on Black Friday that is how they should have done it. The record stores now have to sign a contract because of this that they will never pre-sell again. I feel this was a horrible move and the store that I go to didn't do this, one other one I frequent did do this and nothing was available for those who came in that morining. Bait and Switch comes to mind they didn't tell anybody they weren't going to have the stuff and then got them in the door shady if you ask me. I feel if you wanted it that bad you should have done like the rest of us who went and try your luck. Sorry the pre-order stores will no longer see my business, they could have ruined a good thing. RSD is an awesome way to get people in the door for the local stores. They may make the money online in pre-sales but the customer base they lose overall isn't worth it. Greed gets you no where...

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I would've done $40, but $61 for a luxury novelty of an album I already bought once, well....

14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Where did you hear that they will now have to sign a contract not to pre-sell ever again?

Several of the stores in my area don't even get all of the stuff they order so how is it bait and switch when even they don't know what they are getting till the day before? If they only get 1 or 2 of an item is it wrong to take care of their local every day customers as oppose to someone who just shows up for RSD and doesn't even buy anything else the store has to offer? I don't think so. You can call your local the day before and most in my experience are very up front as to what they are going to have and not have. Its not their job to tell you personally what they don't have or won't have if even they don't get all of their order filled. They try for a lot and get little. The system doesn't exactly dole it out fairly if you ask me.

As far as Vintage Vinyl they stopped taking orders after a while and cut pre-sells off. They also post that anything not sold in store will then be made available on-line again on the Monday after RSD. So they are taking care of pre-sells AND making sure stock is available for those who show up in person. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Nice Post!

My guys, the only indie for 200 or more miles in any direction ask for a lot and get next to nothing. I get there first and get what they have. As I've stated previously the distribution of items is whacked to put it mildly.

16. Went by my local Sunrise (Yonge & Sheppard) today to see what was left and was surprised to still see Metallica CD & vinyl, the ATMP vinyl, Hendrix vinyl, Soundgarden 7" and others...

No U2 12" or Springsteen 7" though....

17. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:biglaugh:

I visit the suburbs around Chicago every couple months but unfortunately didn't know about Kiss the Sky. I lived in St. Charles for three years in the 1980s, so I know my way around there somewhat. I'll check it out next time. Thanks.

18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

What is on the Roky Erickson DVD? a recent live show?

19. surfingelectrode

It's a live show with him backed by one of the best modern psychedelic bands around, the Black Angels.

I haven't watched it yet, but I assume it'll be like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX75Dvj79r0

It's getting a standard release sometime in the near future.

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got confirmation from Vintage Vinyl that my order has shipped. So at least they did honor the online pre-sales and not pull them in favor of in-person sales on Black Friday (if needed.)

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing Thread Starter

That is a great, great idea. I would have loved to have seen that one!

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Was this Roky Erickson DVD a Record Store Day release this past Friday? I hadn't even heard of it before this moment. I didn't see it at my local indie record store ... and they had pretty much everything there.

Details, please, if you wouldn't mind. I think I might need this. Is it NIGHT OF THE VAMPIRE?

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I want to hear from anyone that grabbed a 7" vinyl of The Drive By Truckers single...

24. surfingelectrode

Yes, it'll be getting a standard release pretty soon.

25. I was at Vertigo Records yesterday, and they still have copies of almost everything but the U2 EP! Including at least a couple of ATMP boxes and the Grimey's 2x10".

Lots of kids swarming over the regular vinyl stock though, and I saw one guy who couldn't've been a day over 20 buying a Sun Ra album. Being a guy who likes to think he knows a thing or two about fringe tuneage, I felt like a bit of a dork for buying a mere Cee Lo Green 12". Verily at least some of the kids appear to be alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.