Black Oak Arkansas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just invited Rickie Lee to come back, and see how much the band is thought of here, again.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I love BOA. In fact, what prompted me to finally get an account on this site was a BOA thread where folks were ragging on them. I was catalyzed into defending them. Jim Dandy is one of my favorite vocalists/frontmen. Love the band overall though.

3. Myke

And you're buying a copy of the new album, when released, right ?

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I know I will be!!!

Myke and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Aint life grand was actually a good album imo. Certainly more refined than their other stuff. Which some people saw as a negative of course.

Someone earlier said, they were exciting as heck live but a dud on studio records. Lets face it, Jim Dandy had a 'sound' but is no singer & these guys weren't great songwriters. But Aint Life Grand & working with Podolor was a pretty good idea, on paper anyway.

Podolor had experience producing Iron Butterfly a similar situation in some ways. He was one of the original surf guitarists from late 50s-early 60s & liked working with fads, trends or breaking something 'different' Podolor has the knowledge as a classically trained musician, but was known for the opposite of Spectors wall of sound, Podolor took a 4-5 piece band & tried to make it sound big without the orchestra. By using guitars, backround vocals, dynamic arrangements.

In hindsight, With my time machine, i'd probably advise Black Oak & Podolor to find a 'can't miss' outside song. The other ingredients were there, great live show, unique look, after all the only radio hit they ever had, was the remake of Jim Dandy To The Rescue, & they had Podolor, a king of the Mega hit single-Born To Be Wild-Mama Told Me-Jeremiah was a bullfrog. They needed better material, although their group writing was decent, but they needed a hit. They weren't Hendrix or The Doors.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

What a great story. Those 2 Podolor albums do sound different - i.e. 'better' than the previous Tom Dowd Atco productions. They have just enough polish to them but not too much. The previous album 'Street Party' - a Dowd production from 1974 - is strangely flat sounding. While the music on it is great I remember thinking, at the time, its not that dynamic or punchy, more like a loud radio.

X Rated was one of the BOA albums that was never in the cut out bins. Their next 2 MCA releases (and final albums) were however. Also, the song 'Fighting Cock' used to get played as background music on TV sports programs. X Rated was one of my favorite albums of all back in 1976 while most everyone else was listening to Fleetwood Mac, Frampton Comes Alive, Hotel California, etc. It was the one BOA album my friends got into primarily because of its hard rock focus - moreso than the debut.

7. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

I think he sings better now than he did back in the day. I've caught about 2-3 shows in the last few years. Still has the energy and the showmanship and still down to earth. If you want to go see BOA, always check their Facebook & website often, they do play around the country some, just not that often.

[​IMG]

8. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Sound isn't that great but here ya go. Anyone have this yet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I saw BOA open for Humble Pie at MSG in the Spring of 1973. They were good and put on a show. So did the Pie. Excellent all around concert.

10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Here are all 3 of the Black Oak albums that were certified Gold by the RIAA. The White Matte award for the Debut album is presented to BLACK OAK ARKANSAS!! Got that one from an Antique dealer in Arkansas....who listed it on EBAY!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I have it. I can't say that I like it much. :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Disappointing but not unexpected maybe? Can you comment on Jim Dandy's vocals?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not great song but not bad

14. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I had high hopes after hearing Plugged In And Wired on their previous album. This one is all slow-to-mid tempo, save for the last song, which is an older one featuring Shawn Lane on guitar. JD's voice is a shadow of what it once was, sounding old and tired.

Dok and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I've said this before, but Podolor and Cooper recorded some of my favorite albums of all time. I'm searching out X-Rated and Ain't Life Grand.
    Back in the day I stopped after High On The Hog.

Matthew Tate and Raunchnroll like this.
  16. steve phillips

I've never heard this one. I'll be on the lookout.

17. Myke

@steve phillips - back cover even better. :winkgrin: Makes 1976 look bad in our current climate, but I thought it was clever as well as the obvious intention.

[​IMG]

18. steve phillips

I found a nice copy of Race With The Devil. What do you guys think of this one?
    I played Side 1 last night. I'm not sure. Some good moments, but One Night Stand
    is not very good to me at first listen. I didn't feel like turning the album over. I guess
    that says something. So far, my least favorite. I'll try Side 2 tonight. Maybe it will get
    better.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

‘76 was the golden age

“Not fade away” from “race with the devil”rocks

Matthew Tate and steve phillips like this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

hmm . . . I love that tune. Really nice melody-writing and singing. I like the dual lead vocal. The vocal timbres mesh interestingly. The chord progression works really well with the melody and a cool bass part that's halfway between an ostinato and some James Jamerson-like stuff. There's some nice contrapuntal things going on between all of the parts. And the tempo and the way the arpeggiation of the guitar part function gives it a quirky melancholy feel that both complements and contrasts the lyrical content. Some solid sax playing and some hip drum fills on it, too.

21. steve phillips

I wouldn't be surprised if it grows on me. I probably just need to get used to the new line-up.
    It's a different sound for sure. Thanks for your in-depth comments. It makes me want to give
    it another try. I like the guitar tones, and playing.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The title track is alright but the rest of it never did much for me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

"Ain't Life Grand" is one of my favorites. It just might be the strongest studio album they did. Not a dud on it. Maybe a tad more polished but still rocks. The tune "Rebel" is great. More people need to hear that one!

The past year I picked up a beautiful Japanese pressing of "X-Rated". It sounds way nicer than my crappy 80's reissue. It's a pretty decent album but the lead guitars should have been unleashed a bit more. This is especially noticeable during the end jam on "Strong Enough To Be Gentle". The leads seem a little timid.

Besides the change in producers the other notable change was the departure of original guitarist Harvey Jett. He was replaced by Jimmy Henderson.

"Street Party" is an excellent album too. A little mellower than what came before but very good nonetheless. Another favorite of mine. This was Harvey Jett's final album with the band.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

And he's still one of the best!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.