Black Oak Arkansas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm waiting for X-Rated and Ain't Life Grand to pop up. I agree, I think Street Party is excellent.
    I found a nice promo LP in great shape.

clhboa and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Wow i like this band [​IMG]

3. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

And this killer album [​IMG]

4. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

This was my first BOA album. I'll bet others on this thread could say the same. There was something about it
    that made you want to buy it. A true classic if there ever was one.

Borgia and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

A beauty [​IMG]

clhboa, Borgia and Terrapin Station like this.
  6. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

great [​IMG]

Terrapin Station likes this.
  7. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In my case, it was seeing them live the day before.
    My first-ever concert, at 15 years old.
    Tommy Aldridge's double bass drum kit, behind Jim Dandy's presence-that-couldn't-be-ignored made a helluva impression on me !

9. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

I was just sitting around and thinking...

I've caught BOA a few times in the past few years. I live 250 miles from Memphis which helps; they have played many shows there and around the midwest.

My older Uncle and I had a conversation about BOA just after after seeing them in Memphis a few years ago (it was after 2010 can't remember the exact year). I stated that they should hook up with with Skynyrd or some of the new wave country bands and be an opener. At the time, this was before the release of the recent Back Thar & Underdog.

To tell it nicely, he kinda called me crazy and full of something. In his words as I remember, "So you want to walk up on that stage and play after that? If I had to go on, I'd just pack it up!"

That's how good the show was. He went on to say "Nope, don't anyone want to play after BOA, too much energy, steal the show!" I felt the same way.

Another little funny story...at the same show Mr. Mangrum was walking around early before the show started. We were early arrivals. He decided to cut across the room between the tables, crossing right in front of my wife. Just as he passed her, he turned around and apologized for getting in the way. True gentleman!

He still plays shows around the country, not very many but you still may have a chance to catch something that will never happen again!

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I'm going to see them here in Littleton this Saturday. They are on the bill with The Atlanta Rhythm Section and Blackfoot. While Blackfoot has no original members, both BOA and ARS have 2 each.

Terrapin Station and fairies like this.
  11. STLrep

STLrep Active Member

This thread still alive? Pretty rad Ricochet Reynolds was in here!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he was?

13. STLrep

STLrep Active Member

Yeah looks like February of 2017 was the last time he posted however

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, Myke invited him.

Matthew Tate and STLrep like this.
  15. STLrep

STLrep Active Member

Anyways I really dig this band especially the first 4 albums. Really nothing like the voice of Jim Dandy! They were supposed to come to St Louis in November but got canceled becuase of covid....

Borgia and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I saw the Eagles as the opening act for Black Oak Arkansas

17. Cousin Stanley

Cousin Stanley Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Cousin Stanley likes this.
  19. Cousin Stanley

Cheers

I have it on pre order from Amazon Japan so time will tell

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. STLrep

STLrep Active Member

What are everybody's opinion on the pre-BOA album? When they were called "The Knowbody Else"? I just picked up a promo copy of it at a record show and am really digging it. Way different vibe that a lot of their later stuff. More laid back and somewhat psychedelic.

I hadnt seen many mentions of it in this thread. Im really enjoying it. A good album to put on at night after work and vibe out.

21. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I just got this box set from amazon today. I only even heard about it 2 days ago thanks to a friend, didn't see your post yet.
    Rebound only has the 6 tracks listed. I take it the original had 9 tracks,
    but according to the booklet the only release of Rebound was a boot. So I don't know. I was hoping it was a misprint too but it's not.
    That was the only missing link in my BOA collection and the main reason I jumped on it, but I'm still glad I got the box. Beautiful little set.
    I've only played a couple of the discs so far while drinking, so havn't compared to any of my other copies of
    these albums and can't really comment on sound yet. But I love the carboard sleeves and set. These were all very hard to find on digital
    previous to this. So If you don't have these, here's your ticket. Some great music on here.
    Rebound is BOA with lots of SAX, I didn't know that.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I think it's great! If you dig that lp you might want this cd as well...

KNOWBODY ELSE - Soldiers of Pure Peace - Amazon.com Music

STLrep likes this.
  23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

"Rebound" was the only thing I needed from that box. Years ago somebody recorded it onto a cassette for me. Not sure where that tape is at the moment. IIRC "rebound" had a killer version of Blood, Sweat + Tears' "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know". This track was stuck on the end of BOA's "King Biscuit Flower Hour" cd as a bonus track. I have "Ready As Hell" and "The Black Attack Is Back" on lp and will probably live without them on cd.

stingraex2000 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Cousin Stanley

Thanks for replying
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the box set too and was disappointed that Rebound only had six tracks. I don’t know much about this era of the band so I’m not sure what it is missing but I saw a version of it that looked like it had tracks from The Black Attack Is Back album on it so maybe that is all there is. I’m really enjoying X Rated as I didn’t have that and it sounds great and has some great songs.

The same week I got the BOA box set I got the Atlanta Rhythm Section box set and that some good bonus material on each disc and I wish the BOA set had the same.

stingraex2000 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I would like to have "X-Rated" on CD. A while back I bought a Japanese l.p. In mint condition. Sounds fantastic! Maybe if the price drops enough on the BOA box I'll get it. The ARS box is nice but the single edits weren't all that exciting to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.