Black Sabbath CD's - 86 Castles vs. 2016 Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Music_dude, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The s/t, MOR, Vol4 and SBS SACDs are totally different animals from the Paranoid and H&H SACDs. And they are definitely very different from any other Sabbath release I have listened to. I haven't noticed any hiss on any of them. This has discussed at length on several threads on this forum, use the search function if you want to know more details. What I can say is that it is definitely a mistake to draw any conclusions regarding the MOR etc. SACDs from your experience of the Paranoid SACD.

2. IIRC, MOR is from UK tapes too, while Heaven and Hell is from Japanese tapes.

For further details on the available sources of information, you would have to dig a little into other threads on this forum. Anyway, the way that the s/t, MOR, Vol4 and SBS SHM-SACDs sound always seemed (to me as a laywoman) to suggest it would be from master tapes rather than vinyl cutting tapes. What's much more important to me is how much I like their sound.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh yes, forgot these two. MOR is fantastically crankable.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

sathvyre and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

6. Yes! The MOR SACD contains what is possibly my favorite mastering of any Sabbath album ever.

Very nice, thanks!

Anyway, again, to all those who are not familiar with the Sabbath SACDs: Please don't mistake the Paranoid SACD for a representative or typical example of what they all sound like. The s/t, MOR, Vol4 and SBS are entirely different in both origin (UK tapes vs. Japanese tapes) and sound from the Paranoid SACD.

Exactly the question I wanted to ask! If it isn't, that would be an easy explanation for the amount of hiss.

Plan9 likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

According to the person who sent me the files, it isn't (it was a straight digital rip from the CD). I have taken the liberty to add my own De-Emphasis, using the one from Foobar + a volume adjust:
    Framadrop - Share files confidentially

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. Thanks again! This is very important information, because DE really needs to be added in order to fairly assess and compare this recording.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, had I known, I would have mentionned it in the original post.

10. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident Thread Starter

One thing I’ve always wondered... who’s the guy on the Paranoid album cover??

Queezma likes this.
  11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I didn't use to like Sabbath until I scored the Intercord CD of Greatest Hits. Now it's getting regular airtime. I love the sound on this one.

12. Music_dude

Is the intercord Paranoid CD better than the 2016?

13. I think it is a "War Pig". AFAIK the album was going to be called "War Pigs", but then they changed the album title to "Paranoid", and there was no time to change the album cover as well.
    Paranoid (album) - Wikipedia

Music_dude likes this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He's definitely wearing boots so it must be a faerie.

15. Music_dude

Good one! :laugh:

16. Music_dude

Come to think of it, he kind of looks a bit like Tony Iommi!

17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

As a kid I always assumed it was Ozzy lol

18. LOL, that's a funny discussion. Hmmm, thinking about it, he neither really looks like a pig, nor does he look like a politician, a rich person or a general (the War Pigs that Geezer apparently had in mind when writing the lyrics) - this guy does loook like a fighter himself, while the song is about those people who make others fight in their interest. I am sure somebody here knows more about this. However, I have a hunch we might come to the conclusion that the cover does not really make a lot of sense. :) He looks like somebody in a samurai science fiction movie.

Music_dude, Queezma and Plan9 like this.
  19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I don't have any 2016 cds. I don't think very many on here have the Intercord CDs but they do seem to be well rated.

Music_dude likes this.
  20. This is something I want to check out myself at some point. The Intercord seems to be the favorite of several people here, but it is said to have one or several drop-outs (during Iron Man?). The 2016 WB/Rhino (and 2014 HDtracks and 2017 Ten Year War) seems to have used a very good source tape, but is too bright (like all the 2012 remasters). Both the 33PD twofer and the 1986 Castle are liked by some or many. I personally feel that the SACD is not bad either (a contested claim on here), but again it needs EQ.

Music_dude likes this.
  21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Sure !!! The only issue are some audible tape damages in "Iron Man"...otherwise it is the perfect version on CD !!!

Music_dude and MC Rag like this.
  22. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Can you give me some timings when there are drop outs in Iron Man? I want to compare to the Iron Man on my Intercord - Greatest Hits CD.

And just checking - you have the original Intercord right, not the Russian pirate version?

Music_dude likes this.
  23. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Unfortunately, I have the russian pirate version only...but it is a digital clone of the original disc.
    Sorry, I will tell you about the dropouts as soon as I find some time. Simply check your version on the INTERCORD Greatest Hits...if they are there, they are very hard to ignore ;)

Music_dude likes this.
  24. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

OK will check. I hadn't noticed them so far, but I probably wasn't listening critically.

Music_dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.