Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I suggest that we continue the discussion on this new thread I just started, because we're so off-topic now it's ridiculous ;):
    Which was really the 1st Australian Fontana LP pressing of Black Sabbath's 1st, self-titled album?

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Considering the meager offerings on these editions (instrumental versions and not terribly interesting outtakes of the same songs), I doubt there's much. I always presumed Sabbath to be similar to Rush, in that they released virtually everything that ever got developed into a recognizable song. There's a few stray tracks from the 80's era that ended up as b-sides, and the one outtake released on the Born Again reissue, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything great from the Ozzy years.

The one thing they could've feasibly done is release the complete shows that were used to compile Past Lives, but i don't know if there's any actual songs on there that didn't make that album, or just more versions of "Paranoid"/"Iron Man"/etc. I'm not sure what other professional live recordings there were of the original Sabbath era, although I'd certainly be interested if more were unearthed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Actually, i do believe it's not that easy, as their ex-manager owns Live at Leeds the multitracks. Of course, Sabs recorded several shows for a live album after Sabotage, and they were recorded for the KBFH, but apart from a few Asbury Park tracks on Past Lives, they remain in the can.

4. Past Lives disc 1 was identical to Live at Last; disc 2 was a mix of Asbury Park 1975 and Brussels (aka Paris) 1970.

Live at Last includes some songs from London 1973 and some from Manchester 1973 - my guess is that they don't have any other songs from those shows in their vaults anymore, but who knows.

Brussels 1970 has already been released in its entirety as part of the Paranoid 2016 Super Deluxe Edition 4xCD set.

Asbury Park 1975 contains the following tracks:
    • Supertzar (intro tape)
    • Killing Yourself To Live
    • Hole In The Sky
    • Snowblind
    • Symptom Of The Universe
    • War Pigs
    • Megalomania
    • Sabbra Cadabra
    • Jam-Guitar Solo
    • Jam-Drum Solo
    • Supernaut
    • Iron Man
    • Guitar Solo Incl. Orchid, Rock'N'Roll Doctor, Don't Start (Too Late)
    • Black Sabbath
    • Spiral Architect
    • Embryo & Children Of The Grave
    • Paranoid
    Live at Leeds? You are referring to Live at Last, and their ex-manager is Meehan, right?

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  5. Doctor Flang

I would love to hear the Live at Last shows properly remixed, as the sound quality on the orginal album is pretty mediocre. To my ears it sounds like a rough mix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with most of the recordings on Past Lives, sound-wise. Sabbath deserves better. But if they couldn't use any of that stuff on the deluxe editions, unless they're holding out for some kind of big live archival release, I wouldn't hold my breath, I guess.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Doctor Flang

Yes on both counts!

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  8. To me, Live at Last sounds pretty good. Past Lives is overcompressed. The Asbury Park 1975 master clone common in bootleg circles sounds amazing.

9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think the trick with Live at Last, is to crank it. Sounds better loud. :)

10. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

This is crazy
    Great findings!!!!
    I had wondered a long time about this
    Another way to get more money out of the fans LOL
    I knew I had read this awhile ago somewhere in one of these threads or Kevin5Brown told me this info Lol

rnranimal likes this.
  11. damnit

So where do the Deluxe Vinyl pressings fit in sound wise?
    The Sanctuary and WB

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. I am not sure that the difference in sound between the 2009 and the 2016 Deluxe releases (including the bonus tracks) was consciously intended to get more money out of fans. We're talking about two different companies, one of them selling for the European market, the other one selling for the American market. People at WB were obviously aware of the 2009 Deluxe bonus tracks, and since they didn't have those tracks themselves, they (very likely) made some deal with Universal to the effect that Universal sent them the (digital) sources used for those bonus tracks. Then apparently, the people with WB responsible for preparing the 2016 releases, just like the people with Sanctuary who had prepared the 2009 releases, felt those tracks needed some mastering work; and as usual with Sabbath releases since 1970, they did it differently from their European colleagues.

I don't know. Is there any reason to assume that they contain different masterings than the CDs or FLAC releases?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. damnit

Yes because Tim had said he felt the vinyl did sound a bit better than the cd's
    So I wanted to know what other users thought as well!!!!
    It's all money to the record labels in the end otherwise they would be out of business!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Nothing wrong with that. And maybe I missed Tim's comment - can you point me to it?

That's certainly true, but wasn't my point at all. My point was much more specific, as you will hopefully notice re-reading my comment.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. damnit

Yes I know you were talking about mastering differences between UK and USA
    I was talking about money!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. ?
    Rnranimal was talking about the master differences between the 2009 UK and the 2016 US releases. You commented on his post: "Another way to get more money out of the fans LOL"
    So what you were saying was, obviously, that the mastering differences were introduced in order to get more money out of the fans LOL. And I disputed that. Everyone can see your comment and quote above, so it's hard to deny that's what happened - and why would you?

As for Tim's comment saying that the vinyl sounded better, you didn't point out which post it was that you were referring to. Anyhow, given that nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has ever disputed that the Deluxe CDs and the Deluxe LPs were sharing the same mastering, the vinyl's (possibly) better sound in case of the Deluxes would come down to the old 'does vinyl sound better than CD" discussion. Which is a very general discussion about analog vs digital media and has nothing to do with the mastering of the Deluxes as such.

17. damnit

Whatever
    If you don’t have the vinyl to make a comment about the sound then don’t!!!!
    Stop nitpicking I don’t care

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. damnit

Has anyone compared all of the 2009 cd's against the 2016's?

Queezma and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Just so I am clear..... The U.S. 2016 CD remasters are actually the same remasters as the 2012 U.K. remasters, which are different than the ‘09 UK remasters? It’s hard to keep them all straight :hide:

20. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Yes... the 2009’s have a darker sound, while the 2016’s go to the opposite extreme.

21. damnit

From what "rnranimal" has said the first 3 are somewhat similar!!!!
    To me both versions of MOR sound very good but a bit different
    But I am wondering a bit more about the rest

22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I don’t have the 09’s but I have the 2016’s and the Castle remasters from ‘96 and I give the edge to the 2016’s for MOST of them. I am curious about the 09’s though too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I bought all over the '09 releases for my son. I think that they sound great.
    Some are better than others, "Paranoid" sounds incredible,for example.

24. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

By chance do you know if Andy Pearce did the remastering on that? And I know this all covered somewhere already in this 48 page thread, but.....

25. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

He did....sounds great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.