Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

That is what I'm most interested in - I have some of the 2009s (why I didn't get them all upon release is beyond me - just got a handful) and some I like a lot and are my go to - but the NSD is bad - harsh, compressed bad.

jon9091 likes this.
  2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

yeah it's safe to assume both vinyl and CD are sourced from the same hi-res remastered files. The lack of compression on the Black Sabbath, and Paranoid leads me to believe that they just went ahead and used the vinyl mastering for CD as well. I hope that all 70's albums will be treated to the same standard. We could get Technical Ecstasy. and Never Say Die with better mastering, and corrected channels on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Sandinista and jon9091 like this.
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Paranoid's DR is also different, so I don't think so. S/T tracking is completely different than the 2009, UK. So things that are individual tracks like NIB and Behind the Wall of Sleep are combined on this new edition.

4. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

I caved and bought the set. No regrets. Not yet anyway :shrug:

5. But there was a 2009 deluxe edition that had an extra disc, being Live At Last. I think that UK 2009 deluxe was a remaster, no?

6. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

the 2002 Past Lives and the 2009 deluxe should have the same mastering. I'm thinking the new one is the same, on the assumption that it has a different item description as the others.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

We'll probably get these available as hi-rez files within a month or so. I'm gonna wait and MAYBE purchase those.

I do hope we finally get good sounding version of TE and NSD. That's what I want most out of this re-issue series. Must more than another remastering of the first six, all of which are available in good sound somewhere already.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Which albums sound better than the UK remasters?

SOONERFAN likes this.
  9. guitardiet

guitardiet Forum Resident

Agree with the above. My Rhino was bright, and I was never able to secure a copy that din not have non fill problems. I also owned a 70's German reissue that sounded closer to this mastering.

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I caved and bought the set from popmarket, I love sabbath too much not to, I wasn't thrilled with the rhino's of the first 3 either, paranoid was ok. I have all 3 NM to sell now lol.

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Let us know what you think about them.

Opeth likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

HMV in Downtown Toronto has the CD's for $14.99 (great price imo) - I only saw 1 copy of Paranoid on vinyl $42.99.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Can anyone confirm if it has the spoken intro to the concert? If not, then I'll bet it is the same as the PL CDs, which was based off the '96 L@L CD (though the '96 sounded much better). If it has the intro, that might mean they went back to the tapes for a new mastering. A frequency graph would also show us if they used CD as the source.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think these might be the same as the HDtracks hi-res files already available, but can't say for sure without comparing. Also, I don't think the bonus tracks were done in HD. I believe they were delivered already on CD to the label, so unless they went back and made fresh transfers from the tapes (I'm not sure if they own the tapes now or not), they couldn't be released in HD. A frequency graph from one of the LPs could answer this.

16. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

It still boggles my mind that the Asbury Park show has not been officially released. It would go double platinum instantly.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yep, fished in! Anyway, I look forward to giving my sonic impressions of these releases sometime in July when Pop Market finally fills my order. Of course, at that point no one will care anymore.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It amazes me how many Sabbath fans still do not own good copies of the major albums, and are still out hunting. I guess some have older worn out copies and wish to have nicer new ones.

John Bliss likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is a manager who would demand excessive fees for the client, and ruin that project before it launched.

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

When I ordered this last night it said in stock, now I get an email saying it's backordered... this is the second time they've done this to me. If I don't get some kind of decent delivery estimate by monday I'll just cancel. Second time popmarket has sucked for me.

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I know, I feel your pain. They have some great offers but as a business they really kind of suck. It seems to me they could do much better with really pretty minimal effort. Take heart though, if you're patient you'll eventually get what you ordered. I just think when you hit "confirm purchase" the backordered thing should come up right then with the option to cancel.

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

A number of the tracks were released on Past Lives, though. I wish they'd quit monkeying around like that, just giving us bits and pieces, and release some complete stuff.

Imo, Past Lives CD is a total mess. You have a brick walled version of the '96 L@L, a sampling of the Asbury tracks (which I think were just grabbed from the circulating copy) and some of the Paris '70 TV show, which I also believe was taken from a bootleg and sounds better elsewhere.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've always considered "Past Lives" to be 1/2 borderline bootleg. I am surprised Warner US does not see an indication. Maybe they licensed from the UK owners (of that title) and feel that they did their due diligence when they paid up there, which is a good defense when you are being grilled on the stand, sued in court.

rnranimal likes this.
  24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well there you go. Most copies of these albums are kind of trashed at this point. The last really nice looking original I found was MOR and, on closer inspection, it was NM except for a major blister on side two. Luckily, this store had a test station and, sure enough, the stylus didn't track that portion of the LP well at all. No wonder no one ever played it much! Good reissues? Yeah, I'm on board at this point.

25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

MOFI/MFSL (whatever) AAA 45 rpm Dbl. LP editions of the core catalogue (including Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules and Born Again.) Who's with me?

John Bliss, Preston, ArpMoog and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.