Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions out 6/29/09

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cousin It, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Thanks

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

3. I too agree. A fantastic sounding remaster by Andy Pearce. :righton:

4. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I agree it sounds great. I pre-ordered the other 2 titles last week once I heard Andy Pearce was doing these titles as well.

As others have mentioned, there is some good discussion about the Paranoid DE in another thread.

5. Not to be too off topic but what are you guys working on?
    I'm a big fan of his writing.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I don't know what is the best preorder price for the reissues of the S/T album and Master of Reality.

However, I ordered them a week or so ago from CDWOW, and the total amount charged to my credit card (which includes delivery) is USD 26.98. That breaks down to S/T 11.99 + MoR 14.99.

It looks to me like they have slightly increased the prices by 1.00 per issue, because as of 5/30/09, the S/T is 12.99 and MoR is 15.99 = 28.98.

Though these won't be released until 6/29/09, I was miffed that CDWOW already charged by credit card; however, since I was able to lock in lower prices, I'm OK w/ it, esp. 11.99 for a 2-CD reissue of the first album.

7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have always loved the first album and think I will need to buy a copy of the Deluxe version.

8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Me too; the first album has always been my favorite. I saw them in the early 70s or so, in the Houston Coliseum on a twinbill with Mountain. I think Mountain opened for them, but it could have been the other way around.

I do remember them playing "Black Sabbath." I don't recall it being a painful experience, but the rhythm section (drummer + bass) and Iommi created this impressive, beautiful wall of sound. It sounded so full for a 3-piece band (+ singer, or course).

9. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

Those prices are almost identical to Amazon.co.uk, but cdwow offers free shipping. I may need to cancel my preorder w/ amazon and order from cdwow instead.

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

HMV.com have both titles for £9.99 each. I don't know what they charge for shipping to the US though.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=281;1;-1;-1;-1&sku=984627

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=281;1;-1;-1;-1&sku=984631

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was listening to the Paranoid DE with headphones late last night when everything is quiet.....damn it sounded good.

I'll need the first album for sure.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

What's the difference with the prices on CD Wow? There's one deluxe edition for $12.99 and one for $26.99; same title. Hmmmm.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Anyone listen to the short audio samples on Amazon.UK.I can`t wait to hear the bonus discs I hope the sabbath DEs are not delayed again.

14. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting on Amazon.co.uk. I think with imports, they are shipping until everything in the order is available. With my luck, some of the CDs I ordered go OOP by the time my order ships. It's been at least a month, perhaps two.

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Interesting that Weevil Woman '71 is a completely unreleased song. I assumed it was a goof on Evil Woman. I couldn't find the 30 second samples for the s/t album.

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

OT but anyone else think the first album is the best sounding Sabbath album by far? I wish the other albums were recorded like that.

17. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Depends...

I think as far as the earlier, somewhat more raw and "in your face" stuff, the recording of the first album is just incredible. Paranoid is good. Master is too boxy and compressed, IMO.

But for real production, I'm not sure something like Sabotage could have happened without Iommi and Mike Butcher taking the reigns. I'd rate the s/t album as a great recording, but Sabotage is a headphone album. So much going on it can't even be taken in by a simple listen.

18. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I think all of 'em have their strengths and weaknesses. The first album is a little bass-shy in my opinion.

19. Does sound good, I agree on that, and it works for the material on that album. However, I don't think ALL their albums should've sounded like that...basically impossible to do considering different studios, equipment, engineers, etc...

The sludgy, grimy sound on Master of Reality, for example, is absolutely perfect and gives the album a different feel. Those samples were really cool, glad they worked out those takes though (and took out the piano on Lord of this World) :righton:

20. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Wasn't it Robin Black who did Sabotabe?

21. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

No.

Though he did co-engineer the album with Butcher.

22. Max F

Max F Member

Yes!! Awesome sound!

Reminds me of Zeppelin I. I wish their other albums sounded that good too!

23. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

I agree. The mix is tremendous as well. The title track (at least on the '86 Castle) sounds as close to "being there" as any song I've ever heard.

24. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Yes, exactly.

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

MOR bonus

I must say, I'm usually not a repeat listener of bonus tracks, but the Children of the Grave instrumental and Solitude no flute will be staples on my stereo, and man, Lord of this World w/ piano sounds GREAT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.