Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules - 2021 Deluxe Edit.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

This is a milk the cow release!

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I am out of money right now I may not be buying any music for a while except Vol IV.

Matthew Tate and Blastproof like this.
  3. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Would have really had to thought about getting the new H&H if the entire Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT (August 10, 1980) show was included on it. Now at least I don't have to worry about that.

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Damn, I'd like to hear those in listenable quality. I love Dio-era Sabbath but hard to get ramped up about a 3rd Mob Rules show with basically the same setlist and performances. They weren't exactly the Dead as far as differences between gigs.

drapes likes this.
  6. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Agreed. A great-sounding early show with Bill Ward on drums would be awesome.

7. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I am in the same boat because of a major car repair that came up this week. I was already planning on only getting a NY Archives II and CSNY Deja Vu, but now even those might have to wait. Already canceled my Vol IV preorder, but hopefully won't have to cancel NYA II as well.

dirie and steveharris like this.
  8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Spreading the bonus live stuff from the previous deluxe Mob Rules across two CD's is an odd choice.

9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I agree, also spreading the bonus live stuff from the previous deluxe Mob Rules across two CD's is an odd choice.

10. JSUB

JSUB Forum Resident

Are the live b-sides on both releases from the same set of live shows (Portland, Hammersmith, Harford)?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Thanks for posting!

While I understand most of the criticism, I'd much rather pay $20 for a complete previously unreleased Mob Rules tour live recording than $60 (US) or EUR 87 (Germany) for a few Vol. 4 outtakes and 3 previously unreleased Vol. 4 tour live tracks. Anyway, since this will probably be released in America only, I'll have to see how much it would cost me to purchase it from Germany.

The Mob Rules in Portland live track on Youtube sounds a bit messy but I like the fact that I can hear Geoff's keyboards for once. Also, I've long been hoping that Iommi will finally give up his perfectionism and release more vintage live performances despite whatever flaws they may have. I definitely prefer getting this over, once again, getting nothing at all!

The new Heaven and Hell set is rather stupid though. "Previously unreleased in America" - it's 2021. Any Americans I know who were interested in the 2010 Sanctuary Deluxe 2xCD have got it by now, regardless of its being released in Europe and not in America.

The remasters will probably be rubbish, if the 2016 Rhino CDs or the pre-release samples for the upcoming Vol. 4 Super Deluxe set are any guide.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Now, if these had been released as 4CD box sets as per the current Ozzy era sets, with all the live material, unreleased tracks etc all collected together in one box for each album (as they deserve), I would have automatically been in......but this, I am happy to give a miss.

Heck, even just present them in the hardbook editions like the recent Dio re-issues and I would have been sold.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Huh. I might be interested in the LP release of H&H if the mastering's any good, but I'm not confident.

The Deluxe Edition 2 CD set of H&H from ten years ago is remarkably good, and the 2CD of Mob Rules is good also. It doesn't seem likely that these new sets will be better.

Pouchkine and sgtpppr84 like this.
  14. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

15. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the live Heaven and Hell on the B-side of Die Young is from the Hartford show, possibly edited down to fit on a 45. I presume Children of the Sea from the B-side of Neon Knights is also from Hartford. These are all on the 2010 Deluxe Editions and could be confirmed by listening.

I strongly suspect that the Die Young on the B-side of Mob Rules was also from Hartford as well, but that's just a (not really) educated guess.

16. Is content identical on both 2010 European deluxe of HH and MR and the slated Rhino March 2021 which Geezer promoted on FB?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Any links to UK pre orders?

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  18. Not entirely. The Portland show and "The Mob Rules" remix are previously unreleased.

From my notes:

Origin of Heaven and Hell 2010 Sanctuary Expanded Deluxe Ed. bonus tracks

Disc 2:
    01. Children Of The Sea (Live, Single B-Side) [6:26] (1980-05-08 London)
    02. Heaven And Hell (Live, Single B-Side) [7:20] (1980-08-10 Hartford)
    03. Lady Evil (Mono Edit, 7' Single) [3:58] (Studio) (1980-08-10 Hartford)
    04. Neon Knights (Live in Hartford, CN, U.S.A., 1980) [4:50] (1980-08-10 Hartford)
    05. Children Of The Sea (Live in Hartford, CN, U.S.A., 1980) [5:58] (1980-08-10 Hartford)
    06. Heaven And Hell (Live in Hartford, CN, U.S.A., 1980 & 12' Single Version) [12:35] (1980-08-10 Hartford)
    07. Die Young (Live in Hartford, CN, U.S.A., 1980) [4:37] (1980-08-10 Hartford)

Origin of Mob Rules Sanctuary Expanded Deluxe Ed. bonus tracks

Disc 1:
    10. Die Young (Bonus Track) [0:04:03.54] (1980-10-17 Uniondale, NY)
    11. The Mob Rules (Bonus Track) [0:03:13.40] (Alt. studio version, 'Heavy Metal' movie soundtrack)

Disc 2 (Live at Hammersmith Odeon):
    01. E5150 [1:18] - recorded live 2nd January December 1982
    02. Neon Knights [4:38] - recorded live 2nd January December 1982
    03. N.I.B. [5:16] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    04. Children Of The Sea [6:08] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    05. Country Girl [3:53] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    06. Black Sabbath [8:25] - recorded live 31st December 1981
    07. War Pigs [7:40] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    08. Slipping Away [3:19] - recorded live 31st December 1981
    09. Iron Man [7:04] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    10. The Mob Rules [3:35] - recorded live 31st December 1981
    11. Heaven And Hell [14:25] - recorded live 1st January December 1982
    12. Paranoid [3:22] - recorded live 31st December 1981
    13. Voodoo [5:45] - recorded live 2nd January December 1982
    14. Children Of The Grave [5:05] - recorded live 31st December 1981

19. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I don’t know. If the recording quality of this new live show doesn’t approach the quality of the Hammersmith show on the 2010 Mob Rules deluxe, I really don’t see the point. Personally, the quality of live shows has to be above the quality of soundboard in order for me to be interested. Repeated listens to, say the Boston live set on the Smiths’ Queen Is Dead are infrequent if they happen at all.

20. Well, maybe listen to the samples so you can decide yourself if you like the sound or not?

Live in Portland 1982

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    oneway23 likes this.
  21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Now, the two live Heaven and Hell albums from 2007 and 2010. They are stunning.

22. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Thanks for posting this.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It appears to me that the upcoming 2LP release of H&H is exactly the same content as the 2012 Deluxe Edition. The upcoming CD version has some Hammersmith Odeon tracks from 1982.

The upcoming Mob Rules CD set has a Portland concert and some Hammersmith Odeon tracks. The LP version has two previously unreleased tracks but only has a few tracks from HO and nothing from Portland.

Yeah, neither of these look essential in either format unless the mastering's definitive, which isn't likely.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I want the Heaven & Hell vinyl, but I could do without that superfluous 2nd disc that just adds to the cost.

Honestly, if the mastering isn't up to snuff, I may not get it at all.

Purple and heepsterandrey like this.
  25. JackAbsolut

JackAbsolut Forum Resident

Any info on who remastered this? I might be too afraid to ask for source, pressing plant etc :laugh: