Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules - 2021 Deluxe Edit.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Thanks!

Well, based on that, it’d be a no for me. I didn’t make it past the guitar solo. It certainly sounds better than an audience recording, so I’m assuming it’s a soundboard. Plus, it’s mono. The overall performance is strong, though. Ronnie sounds in good form.

Purple likes this.
  2. ...and the Live Evil Reels would be nice!

tinnox likes this.
  3. It's definitely not an audience recording. I am pretty sure Iommi would run amok if anyone tried to release a Black Sabbath audience recording.
    It is rough though. But in this case, I prefer rough over polished. I already have Live Evil. What's interesting for me about the Portland show is the added authenticity, given that Live Evil has been spliced together from multiple shows.

Mark7, Deuce66 and sons of nothing like this.
  4. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I don't see the need for either of these. Maybe if there were 5.1 versions, but I doubt that either of these albums would be good candidates for that format. Hard pass.

Purple likes this.
  5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Listen to the audio samples.... loud, compressed to death.

Purple and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  6. Ah, damn. So far I had only listened with my cheap PC speakers. Too bad.

Zero consistency in their live releases. Live at Hammersmith was fine, this one's overcompressed... Doesn't make any sense.

Use_Your_Koala and Pouchkine like this.
  7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I am in the minority,more interested in Vol IV outtakes.I have the Hammersmith vinyl.
    When The Beatles Mono Vinyl box was announced I threw change into a jar for months.I am not holding my breath but if a Led Zeppelin or Van Halen archive box was announced that would take priority over anything else.Maybe something is in the pipeline for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabatage.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  8. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Agreed, that’s a ridiculous sales pitch in this day and age.

9. orodreth

orodreth Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority that does not have any of these records either on cd or vinyl so for me the 2LP editions initially look like a yes

Sdp, Zumbi and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Something is very wrong with that clip! It's playing noticeably fast on my laptop.

11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm sure the Portland show will sound ok once you listen to it with bootleg ears. Is the Portland show out there in bootland? I don't know off the top of my head.

This isn't a bad thing. Perhaps this means we might see an expanded version of Live Evil with all the shows in a nice box set.
    Yeah, it would be redundant, but still!

Also, maybe this means another expanded Dehumanizer set is forthcoming, where we can see an entire live show from that era added to it.

12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Only decent piece of news here, imo, is the 2021 Mob Rules track re-mix.
    At least they still have, and can locate the multis, unlike the next studio album.

Live Evil was compiled from the Dallas/San Antonio and Seattle '82 performances.
    So the Portland show adds no real value, imo, as it wasnt deemed fit to use (sound/performance wise) back in compiling that album.

But I am encouraged that no matter how small and underwhelming, we're getting something new out of the Sabbath vaults.
    Wonder who's done the new 2021 remasters?

13. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

While there’s not much special in the way of new material with either of these releases, I’ve found locating decent copies of Mob Rules on vinyl to be elusive. I’ll likely purchase the MR deluxe 2lp.

14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

In for the Mob regardless of how the Portland set sounds, I was there.

Mark7, Matthew Tate, Purple and 2 others like this.
  15. mjd2020

mjd2020 Forum Resident

Me too - the van is going in for repair on Friday! I have the 2009 versions of these. I love love love RJD (Rainbow, Sabbath & Dio) but I don't need yet more live versions of Heaven And Hell. Luckily, I'm still digesting and enjoying the new UFO SITN 8-disc, so I have plenty of listening to keep me entertained.

The fact that they keep releasing more or less the same extras over and over with subsequent versions of Heaven And Hell and The Mob Rules suggests that there really isn't anything else left - certainly not any unreleased studio tracks or versions. And certainly not enough to spread it wafer thin across 4 CDs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Unless it's the soundtrack version remixed...

Matthew Tate and Efus like this.
  17. Floydhead1989

Floydhead1989 Forum Resident

Can anyone id a specific date/gig/venue of the two live B-sides tracks, H&H/COTS? I have looked all over and have not find any details? Should I assume they are from sometime during the 1980 tour period? Thanks.

18. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

The excellent '70s quad mix of Paranoid is proof that Sabbath's music is suitable for surround mixing--it really opens up the album, with some fun psychedelic swirling effects to boot. I was extremely disappointed to find that the upcoming Vol. 4 SDE won't include a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos mix, especially since Steven Wilson is involved.

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ever so prescient nowadays. ;)

20. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Great Post...spot on.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Andy Pearce

22. No, it isn't. The Portland show wasn't even on my list of unofficial/unreleased recordings that I don't have but that are at least rumored to exist, and that's a long list.:D Never ever heard about it before at all.
    The Mob Rules tour is special in that 2 (soon 3) live albums have been released from that tour, but no soundboard, FM or pro-sourced ROIO has ever been circulating. The Heaven and Hell tour is the opposite: several soundboard ROIOs in circulation, but no live album (other than the Black & Blue VHS and LaserDisc).

Efus and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Yes it would be !

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I’m in on the vinyl :righton: