black sabbath master of reality mispress. how rare is it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Douglas Souders, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Souders

Douglas Souders Forum Resident Thread Starter

so i finally found a copy of this today. if you look at the pictures you will see the mispress lists 11 tracks and the correct version lists 8. also on the label the album is mistitled masters of reality instead of master of reality. i have never actually seen one before today and everytime i[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] find a copy of this i pull the lp out and check the label. totally stoked to finally own a copy. does anyone else have a copy of this? was curious as to its value.

2. Douglas Souders

bump....anyone?? cant believe there isn't and sabbath fans out there

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Discogs is showing 2014 sales of $27.50 and $30 for VG+ copies.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Nice snag! I've never seen one out in the wild. What kind of shape is the record in?

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Its not so much a mispress as a different listing...Some connecting bits are given titles, the music is the same. Note that in the corrected version, "Into the Void" has the wrong timing.

This I believe has to do with the English practice of adjusting royalties based on the number of titles. (See "Close to the Edge" with its many subtitles). This I believe was reworked circa late 72.

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

On Side 1 of the Masters Of Reality label variant, there's another error - "Ioomi" as co-writer of Track #2.

7. W.B.

Actually, both versions list the same time - 3:08 - for "Into The Void."

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True, but the first version lists the three-minute intro as a seperate song. Version #2 incorrectly adds the three minutes to "Solitude" instead of "Void."

9. W.B.

One has to wonder what the preparers of the label copy for the revised version were smoking, to incorrectly add three minutes to "Solitude" rather than "...Void."

10. Douglas Souders

good catch on the iommi misspelling. i did not even catch that. i am curious as to just how many of these mispresses are out there. like i said i have been collecting for over 30 years and this is the first one i have ever found out in the wild. to john9091 the record is in vg+ condition. has the original inner sleeve and the poster!

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's the very first U.S. pressing and it is pretty rare. It may have been just from one particular plant or something as well because at least one person here has claimed to have bought the album the day it was released and it did not have the different tracklisting.

Some versions have a somewhat different front cover too - "Black Sabbath" and "Master Of Reality" are both in color - band name is purple and album title is more of a robin's egg blue.

I've always wanted one of these but have never come across one and I don't want it bad enough to pay what Ebay sellers charge for it.

Dino likes this.
  12. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

Actually there is a "MASTERS" copy listed on ebay fairly often probably pretty tough to find one in the wild though I'd guess.
    I think the sleeve with the band and title both in color is a club sleeve,there was an online shop that had a copy listed like this it was only VG or I would have picked it up,I did buy a nice UK 1st press MOR from him though.
    Something that is not so common are the first 3 Sabbath titles with the W7 labels.
    I've been hunting these types of oddball Sabbath lp's for a bit now. Prices on the white label promos are getting out of hand $270 for a nice Paranoid recently!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.