Black Sabbath Paranoid Best Vinyl Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Not all wwa have the vertigo stampers. All vertigos and wwa use second pressings from the gloss cover forward for paranoid.
    Only the first press is 1/1 1/2.

2. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

The Rhino Kevin Gray is great.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The Rhino Kevin Gray is not great. And it's not his fault. They gave him the US tapes (the ones with inherent War Pigs problems).

Don't forget; the US tape sounds decent, but it's still a poorly made copy. Any disc mastered off it (including US Warner comps like Sold Our Soul to R&R) suffer from it.

Well documented, as others point out.

4. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Its great, I know original pressing purists don't agree, and I never said it was better. It is a fine reissue.

Preston likes this.
  5. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just listening to pbthal's needledrop of the Vertigo Swirl again and to me it is muddy sounding compared to the recent EU vinyl collection box version. I was considering the Kevin Gray Rhino but I've heard a needledrop, lots of tape dropouts and volume fluctuation on War Pigs. No thanks!

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That's what I thought about the Vinyl Collection box as well, boosted bass and treble to impress. Did not sound natural on top of being digitally sourced.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Right, it's quite a contrast from the brighter sound of their first album on the first matrix UK Vertigo. It gives Paranoid a much more heavy metal "slowed" doom metal sound. It just sounds better the louder you turn it up.

YouKnowEyeKnow and Raunchnroll like this.
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

UK and German Vertigos both sound mighty fine to these earz...

Paul2K likes this.
  9. Neilson77

Im curious to know if the 1Y1 2Y1 and 1Y2 2Y2 Vertigos both sound the same? I know some of the Swirls are 1Y2 2Y2 and the later Spaceship pressings. Hopefully this will confirm that my S/T and Paranoid Spaceship label sound the same as the absolute 1st pressings.

10. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

I compared my WB Quadradisc pressing to my UK spaceship just now....UK....Noticed the Quad has a different abrupt ending to War Pigs,not the sped up one.
    Can't imagine the UK Swirl 1Y1.2Y1 sounding too much better than the spaceship.

Neilson77 likes this.
  11. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I own all of the 1st pressing UK Vertigo swirl Black Sabbath LP's. IMHO, none of them is anything less than superb. The recordings are spacious and crystal clear with superb clarity. On my system, they are far far superior to any of the later pressings.

hi_watt and Neilson77 like this.
  12. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

So I'm listening to this 2011 reissue and, I dunno, I think it sounds great. Really open with great spacing. Is this one not well regarded?
    [​IMG]

13. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

According to Wiki : NEMS Records, or NEMS Records & Tapes or Nems Records Ltd., a record label from London that existed from 1975 to 1983.

So who is making 'NEMS' ?

14. JustinBond

:shrug:

15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I own the UK Spaceship Vertigo pressing with high-glossy gatefold cover and it sounds great !!!

Cardanken likes this.
  16. simonux

simonux Custom Title

I had both Y1 and Y2 pressings of Paranoid and they sound the same.

AaronW likes this.
  17. Wooderson

Wooderson Well-Known Member

I've a recent NEMS repress and it sounds fantastic. I'm also fascinated to hear who/what they are. V mysterious.

:)

18. Neilson77

I don't even think that's a genuine NEMS, its a bootleg. The genuine NEMS paranoid isn't as well regarded as the Vertigo or WWA.

AaronW and E.Baba like this.
  19. JustinBond

Well… crap. I bought this in my early days of vinyl listening (yes, I started very late) before I knew any better. I still think this sounds good, so I'll keep it around while I search out a Vertigo or WWA.

The NEMS reissue (bootleg?) from probably the same time of S/T on red vinyl I'll say leaves a lot to be desired. The cymbals are real sizzly and I feel the EQ is "rock scooped". I've never heard either of these on wax though, so I guess I'm back on the hunt!

Neilson77 likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Those "NEMS" reissues are occasionally discussed, it has been said that they are pressed by Scorpio (a common source of inexpensive vinyl LP reissues, generally ill-regarded), but I don't know if that has been verified. Occasionally people have posted that they have that reissue of Paranoid and it sounds quite good, but it generally is not recommended because we really don't know where it came from or what sources were used to produce it. But hey, if it's in your hand and it sounds good, nothing bad about that. I have an original 1970's NEMS LP of Paranoid and I'm sad to say that it is noticeably (and last I checked, audibly) off-center, so if yours isn't, I'd rather have yours!

Neilson77 likes this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

As with other bands in demand,can`t the UK reissue all analog Sabbath records right from the masters sounding as good as the first issues?
    The US Rhinos seem to be selling well enough,I don`t know who has the rights or what the legal situation is.

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I still prefer my original US Warner Brothers first pressings records. I just want mention also that the first pressing of the debut album on Green US label WB has a different mix compared to the other editions with palm trees label & white WB label.

23. JustinBond

Different good or different bad?

24. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Which makes one wonder why he chose to work with it in the first place, poor judgement call on his part.

25. JustinBond

So is this considered the best version? Can anyone point this release out on Discogs? http://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Paranoid/master/302

Is there a considerable runner-up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.