Black Sabbath Paranoid Best Vinyl Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

The best versions are going to be the UK Vertigo or WWA, so long as "6360011" is stamped in the matrix (lightly crossed out on the WWA's). These use the original Vertigo parts, be they 1st or 2nd pressing. Not all WWA's have 6360011 crossed out, and some use one side or the other. Be sure to get the details if you're buying online.

2. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

Yeah, of course, because why would we have a decent, easy to find version in the states?

3. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

My Aussie Vertigo swirl sounds pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to

4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

This thread has taken a bit of a bizarre turn. I guess some people can't understand that a majority of people do not view the original UK Vertigo Paranoid LP as "muddy." We view it as powerful, full, and rich with incredible dynamics and balance. If you want a version with boosted treble, there are plenty out there.

That Universal EU boxset with smiley EQ? Recent "Nems" bootlegs? :wtf:

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

what are the stampers on that mate ?

6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Sabbaths debut, Different.. meaning very good, it's not the same like the others.
    Just check out the song The Wizard and compare to other later pressings or Sleeping Village.
    Not sure about the UK pressing.
    You need to get the original Green label Warner brothers. This goes for the first three albums but the nuances are more pronounced in the debut.
    I was one of those kids in the early 70's that was really into these groups. I bought these records when they came out.

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

An actual different mix or just different (non-Artisan) mastering?

8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Who owns the original vertigo tapes and does anyone know what kind of shape they are in and where they are ?
    I would love to see a reissue program from these tapes. Why has this not happened?
    Only reason I can think of is they may be trashed and I hope not.
    The vertigo's I own do indeed better their Warner counterparts imo.

They have a livelier presence like the band is more in the room with me if that makes sense.
    I so long have wanted a mint porky/pecko Volume 4 but can't afford one.
    I do have a mint greenie and have had it for many years.
    I love this Band maybe more then any other and I Love music to much to pick favorites.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I think it's a diffirent mix, all i know is that all other editions do not sound like the first green label pressing of the dubut album. I wish someone on here who has a few diffirent copies of it would give it a test play to compair.

12. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I never heard about a different mix...

13. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I may have a shot at a German Vertigo original. How much do you think it would be worth? What would you guys pay for an Excellent copy? Should I hold out and pay premium for a UK original?

14. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The WWA UK pressing isn't warm and muddy sounding though. Maybe its closer to how the album should sound?

15. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I did a shootout between the U.S. WB Quad and the UK Vertigo first press. And my preference has shifted to the UK. The UK is definitely not muddy for the most part. Geezer's bass is punchy and fierce. Bill's skins sound natural and when his cymbals crash man are they sharp and crisp. Also the snare snaps like a whip. I Love It! I forgot about the toms. They bounce and dance brilliantly. On the quad Geezer and Bill sound like they took a backseat in the most of the mix. Their presence is subdued and it's a little disappointing. It's for some tracks like Planet Caravan and Rat Salad, that Geezer and Ward are not low in the mix. And these are the only two tracks that sound better on the quad. Planet Caravan on the quad is the highlight of the album. The instruments are more balanced and the psychedelic panning is done perfectly.

Tony's guitar is more distorted on the UK than the quad and it does sound a bit muddy at times. But Tony's guitar is cleaner on the quad and it actually makes his guitar sound heavier. Advantage quad.

Ozzy is clearer and a little more upfront on the quad but there so much panning on the quad it kind of loses its magic. But it still sounds great, it's just the vocals on UK are more focused on staying in the center and it's less annoying.

Other differences in tracks I noticed (the most obvious) is the ending of War Pig is played at normal speed and Paranoid has the second guitar solo turned up in the quad which sounds a lot cooler along with Ozzy's vocals sound like an additional vocal track was added to the mix.

The quad has its advantages (Tony's guitar mainly), but the UK press is the winner just because Geezer and Bill are more dominant on the UK.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. Can someone comment about the quality of this release?? Year 1979

[​IMG]

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I just ordered the 1979 WB copy in NM condition (supposedly unplayed...we will see) and will report back on the sound quality once I have it. I would expect this will be better quality than the newer NEMS copy that I have and also expect it to be better than the new Rhino pressing. I posted this question in another thread but no one had answered. I have had good luck with mid-late 70's pressings of other bands in the past so I would hope this is no different. I also heard good things about the mid 70's NEMS issues.

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

With the new rules, there's going to be a lot less traffic in these type of threads.

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

What new rules?

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Damn, I got excited because I thought someone had answered the question. Also, what new rules? What could be wrong about asking about the sound quality about a particular pressing. That is the most vital and interesting information presented on this site.

21. Vinyl Addict

Need to disclose your gear and what-not to give any opinions on sound quality.

Not trying to cause waves. It just occurred to me when I saw a pressing quality thread pop up.

22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I got the 70's NEMS and the Rhino K. Gray and I like both of them. Very different presentations. The Rhino is a little on the bright side but I like the dynamics and the "air" surrounding Ozzy's vocals. The NEMS have a certain "crank it and sit back and enjoy" quality that I prefer every now and then. Glad to own both.

23. Vinyl Addict

I concur

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Traffic will be the same. However, cars without the proper tags may, at the discretion of the officer, be pulled off the road. :)

latheofheaven and PteroDon like this.
  25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

That's nothing new, it's been that way here as long as I can remember. Makes sense to me to know what is making the sound that people are using to judge the sound quality of pressings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.