Black Sabbath "Paranoid": Sanctuary 2-CD vs. 4-CD Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if there's any difference between the mastering used on the 2-disc deluxe edition of "Paranoid" on(I believe) Sanctuary and the 4-disc super deluxe version that came out last year? Is it the same mastering or a different one?

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It's the same mastering I believe.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The 2016 Rhino 2CD shares the same mastering as the 4CD. The 2009 Sanctuary 2CD is a different mastering.

4. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you.

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

And it is actually a 3 disc set (2CD+DVD).

danielbravo likes this.
  6. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

The 2016 Rhino the 4CD Deluxe that have the same mastering is the best mastering that exists of this masterpiece as far as I know.
    If anyone is aware of a better one please let me know.

eric777 likes this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The DVD is so bad, I made myself forget about it.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  8. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Hello, excuse me but could you tell me what you think is so "bad" about the DVD?
    Thank you !

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It was not only sourced from the quad vinyl but is a very poorly done transfer of it. There is a fan made transfer of the vinyl which sounds way better. Even better than that, is a fan made transfer from the reel to reel release.

They sourced from vinyl because the North American and European Sabbath labels don't seem to want to share sources with each other or maybe they just don't ask. The quad release was on WB and they've issued a stereo CD of it from tape source so they almost certainly still have the quad master. So we have a poorly sourced and mastered surround DVD or a nicely sourced and mastered stereo CD. Hopefully one day we get a nicely sourced and mastered surround release of it.

On top of the poor sourcing and transfer/mastering on the DVD, they also made the dumb decision to add a center channel that is just a mono combination of he left/right channels, which throws off the balance of the mix and makes it narrower.

10. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Thank you ! A few minutes ago I read some of your opinions about it in the music forum. But this description that you offer here is quite clear and precise

thanks for the info :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.