Black Sabbath-'Paranoid' WWA pressing.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by motorcitydave, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

I spotted one. What's a good price for this. Thanks! :cool:

2. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Hi Dave,

I probably can't answer your question to your satisfaction, except to say that if the pressing you spotted has the Vertigo matrices and is in good shape definitely pick it up. I paid a bit over $30 for a WWA Vol. 4, but if you're patient you might be able to find one for less.

Hope that helps a little.

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Vertigo matrices for Paranoid are
    6360011 1Y//2∇420
    6360011 2Y//1∇420

Accept no substitutes...

If WWA did use Vertigo stampers on Paranoid, then those pressings would probably sound really good.

To put it in perspective, a true EX+ to NM UK Vertigo Swirl Paranoid usually sells for $100-140

4. motorcitydave

Ok, this pressing is going for just under $30. Is the WWA at least better than the WB green label?

5. TLMusic

Can you listen to it before buying? What's the condition? Did you find out the deadwax info?

If it's made from Vertigo stampers (and is in clean condition), then it could sound waaay better than a WB green label.

If it's not made from Vertigo stampers, I don't know. My guess is that it would still sound better than WB green label pressings, which, in my experience, are pretty dull sounding.

6. motorcitydave

No I can't. Condition is said to be excellent. This is from a mail order company. I've dealt with them before and they will take stuff back, no questions asked. I won't name them for fear of someone lurking around here snapping it up.

Yeah, I have an original WB, and it's nothin' to write home about. I just figured 'Paranoid' is a poor recording, but after reading stuff here about these Vertigo and WWA pressings, it's not? Am I wrong?

I recently got the NEMS pressing of 'Master of Reality' with the WWA stampers, and it does not beat my WB green label. Actually, I prefer the WB.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  7. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I have the WWA issues of the first 4 Sabbath albums - all have Vertigo stampers and all sound great. If you are unlucky enough to get one which just has the WWA numbers in the deadwax then it won't sound as good. However, my Vol.4 isn't the Peckham mastering and I have a feeling that there weren't any Vol.4 'porkys' pressed on the WWA label.

8. motorcitydave

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

At that price, I'll take three copies. Usually, NM copies of Paranoid will command up to $300 or more on E-Bay. The fancy pants sellers who take 8 pictures of the record and write lengthy colorful essays on the rarity of the album will usually go for well over $500.

10. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

Are you sure? The matrices on my NM WWA pressing of Paranoid are 1Y//2 and 2Y//2. Following the forum advice I always thought these would be the Vertigo stampers. Anyway, it sounds significantly better than my previous German Vertigo Swirl and my 1976 NEMS.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Paranoid is an incredibly good recording. One of Sabbath's best. You'll easily hear the difference between a US pressing and the WWA if it uses the original stampers.

12. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Dave, I have S/T on WWA with scored through Vertigo matrices. It sounds wonderful. Conversely, I have Paranoid on WWA with scored through NEMS matrices. It sounds veiled/distant and pales in comparison to my Vertigo swirl Paranoid. The WWA's are a grab bag. I'd request that the seller confirm the matrices. If they're not from the Vertigo stampers, I'd probably pass.

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've never heard a NEMS pressing which is 'better' than a clean US W/B with -1 matrices frankly. I even recall owning a UK or Dutch NEMS or two that was inferior to the first US press.

Stick with the described Vertigo matrices (indicating pressed by Polydor records). They are far superior.

14. TLMusic

My personal copy (Vertigo swirl) has 1Y//2 2Y//1 matrices, and that is the most common variant is see advertised. That's also what a UK expert dealer told me. However, the very first UK press Paranoid had 1Y//1 2Y//1, but it's a bit rarer.

The 1st pressings also had a bigger swirl on the side two label.
    [​IMG]
    I've not personally seen a record with 2Y//2 on side two. However, the concept that were using a second lacquer cutting for the side two WWA pressings does not surprise me. Paranoid enjoyed robust sales in the UK

You are completely correct that eBay prices can quickly get out of hand. Especially when described as "UnPlAyEd with stunning gloss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and such. I guess I was lucky and scored my copy last year for £55, and it plays NM.

15. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

In case you need this info, the deadwax stampers of my WWA pressings are as follows:

S/T
    VO 6 1Y//2∇420
    VO 6 2Y//2∇420

Paranoid
    6360011 1Y//2∇420
    6360011 2Y//2∇420

Master of Reality
    6360050 1Y//2∇420
    6360050 2Y//1∇420

Vol.4
    6360071 1Y//2∇420
    6360071 2Y//2∇420

Jerod likes this.
  16. TLMusic

Thanks! That is very useful information!

17. motorcitydave

Ok, guys, thanks for all of the info! Very much appreciated. Basically, I'll hold on to the NEMS 'Master of Reality' as a back-up copy. As far as the WWA 'Paranoid,' I better snap that up. Soon.

18. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

BTW there are also Vertigo spaceship label versions with those Vertigo/Polydor matrices. I do not know about Paranoid, but have Master of.. and s/t. Usually cheaper that the Swirl label versions.

19. TLMusic

This is true. I have the Vertigo spaceship label Master of Reality and found it for $30. It's definitely cut from the same lacquers as the swirl originals. I actually prefer the spaceship to my swirl copy.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Yes, thanks for this. I asked a guy for some deadwax info and he gave me the
    following:

1st : V06 1Y/2 420 122 - V06 2Y/2 420 131
    Paranoid : 360011 1Y 2 420 1/09 44 - 360011 2Y 2 420 1/30 1 7
    M.O.R : 6360050 1Y 2 420 12 2 - 6360050 2Y 1 420 17 13

What's it all mean? Does the deadwax info need to match the above exactly to get the 'good' pressings?

Forgive the newbie question!

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

The numbers after 420 aren't so important. The LPs will sound good with those matrices he's given you (if they are in nice condition).

22. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Thanks for the information Scott.

23. motorcitydave

Cool. Thanks for the info! How much do they run on average? :cool:

24. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

You are welcome. Se post #19. IIRC mine were cheaper, around $ 20 or so. the Master of Reality even had the special cover (not exactly NM of course), but the poster was missing.

25. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident

Just a tip,

Check out the WEA Canadian pressing with the tan label. It sounds very similar to the Vertigo UK to my ears, maybe even with slightly better highs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.