Black Sabbath Sabotage 2021 digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wrat, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Super cheap and lazy......unbelievable!
    I'd think, maybe the demographic that buys box sets would be the most likely to care about quality audio. Apparently the record company has a one size all approach, assuming nobody cares. Either that or they think the booklet and new remaster was enough to appease buyers.
    For many this MP3 sourced material was their incentive for buying the box.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. animaux

animaux Bababooey!

It almost sounds like maybe there was some...sabotage.

...showing myself out, now...

stetsonic, Zumbi, Robotlove and 21 others like this.
  3. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I feel like I've been ripped off. Even the book has not much in terms of song descriptions, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, it's only quotes. And several of them copied from the tour book, also included in the box. So, lot's of repetitions.
    Also, hate the CD sleeves, they are too wide open, and do not hold their CDs at all. And with what I am reading here about the concert, it just seems Rhino have not done much effort on this box, at all. I really hate the fact that I paid for pre-order at Rhino... Never again! The remaster is not bad, I'll give them that. But not for the price I paid!

BDC, supernaut, hi_watt and 5 others like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rhino just got the audio for this set as digital files from whomever, in the UK, and plop…here’s the deluxe. No further tape research needed. Cheap cash grab in the worst possible way. I feel bad for those who spent their money on this.

hutchguv, slipkid, supernaut and 4 others like this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

We should try leaving messages to Black Sabbath / Sabotage super deluxe edition box sets – SuperDeluxeEdition

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I confess I'm rather surprised how badly these are being mangled. Rhino does great work with the Dead. Some “Start Your Ear Off” and “Rocktober” pressings are outstanding, AAA, and very good value.

Either the guy they hired for Sabbath is a fool… or they just figure Sabbath listeners don’t care.

Disappointing.

supernaut, hi_watt and Greenalishi like this.
  7. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I was excited when I first heard about this box. Now, I will also pass on it. Shame on Rhino. Hire back Bill Inglot !

8. Maybe return it and let Rhino know why? You have been ripped off.

wrat, supernaut, Anthrax and 7 others like this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

A bit of both, most likely.

All that's left now is for the next Sabbath box to feature MQA CDs and the mess will be complete.

10. MP3-sourced MQA CDs with overcompressed masterings in mono, 1 track/disc, marketed as something super fancy.

wrat, Plan9 and rnranimal like this.
  11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Really a bummer. They should have just issued quality releases of the original album. The big box with stickers n stuff is like a distraction away from poor quality sound.

12. I would actually love to hear good bonus material, but if they somehow can't pull that off, nor improve on earlier masterings of the album proper, a DVD with a collection of funny raccoon videos would make me much happier than disc 1-4 of this box set.

JulesRules, wrat, Greenalishi and 3 others like this.
  13. Thinking about this, I think I will be pleasantly surprised when/if Sabbath ever again release any bonus material that comes even close to being as interesting as a collection of funny raccoon videos. Let's face it: raccoon videos are hard to beat. ;)

wrat, sons of nothing, Plan9 and 4 others like this.
  14. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Sounds good… it’s being shipped right now so I should be able to hear it myself in a week or two. I found the 2009 could have used a touch less bass, and a bit more high end. Hopefully the 2021 fits the bill.

15. Music_dude

Thanks for the input! I should have noted that I was basing my opinion on a YouTube version of Hole In The Sky and Symptom Of The Universe. Once I get the actual disc in hand I’ll be able to do a proper comparison. However, if it sounds like you say it does, I’ll have to stick with the original WB disc. I know in the past I’ve said I prefer dark masterings, but the 2009 Sabotage is just too dark, even for me.

16. Music_dude

Thanks for this! I feel like a sucker for having pre-ordered this mess. For me it’s the principle of it, and moreover the fact that this does not bode well for future “super deluxe” sets. Up until this point, I was actually looking forward to the prospect of having a deluxe version of Technical Ecstasy, and especially Never Say Die - ( given the whole Pearce “lost mastering “ debacle). If they screw that one up, I’ll never forgive them!

hutchguv, rnranimal and Greenalishi like this.
  17. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Really sad that half-assed jobs like this are the norm for these expensive sets. The Rush 40th anniversary sets were a huge disappointment as well.

GRompre68, The Hud, supernaut and 4 others like this.
  18. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Does anyone know how long it takes for an Amazon UK review to be “approved” before it actually appears on the site?

I don’t think I’ve ever left a review before, or if I did it was so long ago I’ve forgotten (admittedly that might mean more than 10 days ago :D)

wrat, BDC and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  19. hutchguv

Thanks Claus, that was both sad and interesting to read

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  20. Four of this latest batch of Deluxe releases - Vol4, HaH, MR and Sabotage - are already available, and none of the remasters used for them comes close to being the best IMO. MR and HaH are bad, Vol. 4 is extremely bad. Sabotage has been the best so far, yet it is still no. 3 at best - or no. 4 if you count side 2 of the 1986 Castle which is significantly better as well. As much as I would love to finally get a satisfying remaster for NSD and TE, I won't put much hope on that happening.

21. It is sad! Though I would like to add that this one is below the norm, even for today's standards. About 2/3 of the material on this set are lossy-sourced. I think that's rare.

wrat, Music_dude, supernaut and 2 others like this.
  22. hutchguv

I gave the title track of the 2021 Heaven And Hell remaster another listen last night, comparing to a couple of other versions

It really is the most different compared to the other masterings out there….

I’m only going on what I hear, but it’s like the top mid range to lower treble has been boosted so much it makes the guitars much louder, but they are now too much in your face.

It’s like a reverse smiley face eq, but not quite

I can almost see what they were trying to do, bring the guitars up more… I can imagine Tony hearing this and loving it :)

But I don’t like it

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

At least Rush A Farewell To Kings 40th ann. had a fantastic 5.1 remix of the album by Steven Wilson...

24. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

- Yes! - this really annoyed me too - the whole thing just looks so cheap - it is my fault for buying it of course. The concert is great though - during one of the jams Geezer start playing stuff that sounds like what ended up in Sign of the Southern Cross.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I really wanted to get this one, as I would love to have a silver copy of the live show. The thing is, most average people won't care if the concert is lossy. They'll say it's on a cd and sounds good. Oh well. Here's hoping the next one is better..

supernaut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.