Black Sabbath Sabotage 2021 digital

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wrat, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

And I said I never got around to buying it, now I have it as part of this set and I enjoy it as is.

It’s a bootleg, not audiophile by any means. I compared it to a CD my friend has and I didn’t really hear a difference but I know my ears are not the best.

Jam757 likes this.
  2. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Nice… Pretty impressive!

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Greenalishi like this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

LOL You are of my tribe!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That’s quite the rationalization. But I paid off my “I was such a huge fan that in addition to buying ALL their releases, I also traded some bootlegs” debt to them many botched releases ago. These days, they need to earn my money with well done product.

wrat and Anthrax like this.
  5. David67

David67 Forum Resident

You could acquire the lossless boot online and burn it to CD.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very true, but don’t have a CD burner, so not really set up to go down that path. My friend offered to burn me a CD but I said don’t bother, when I wanted to hear the show I just hit up YouTube. Plus I’m not sure these ears would make out the difference.

The only difference that stuck out the most was I found Bill’s snare not as up front as other versions I heard, but I could be off.

7. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

Have you always had those ears?

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

No.

Library Eye likes this.
  9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Maybe they did Google it and found it ... on youtube. :tsk::doh:

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  10. Well, my complain isn't even that they didn't use the "best analog source" (which would have been the multi tracks) but that they used one of the worst possible digital sources - a lossy one.

And in my book, they did price this set as if they had used the best analog source, yet what we got was mostly MP3-sourced.

I frankly cannot believe that members of an audiophile forum are actually trying to defend using a lossy source for a live concert on a CD/LP box set in a case where a lossless source is (I know I am saying this for the 50th time) available everywhere for free.
    :D

But no, @rnranimal's findings suggest that they didn't use Youtube files but one of the early, lossy-sourced CD bootlegs. I guess under the circumstances we should be grateful for that?!

JulesRules, slipkid, BDC and 7 others like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I just think you need to go call them out on social media or via email.

slipkid and wrat like this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Fair play, your post shocked me. Well done. :)

But guy, these sets have not been cheap. In the UK you're talking $80 or so each. So, $20 a disc. And yes, you've got to pay for the box and book, but damn. These are sold as "Super Deluxe" products, and they under-perform the Special Editions. I just don't get it. These sets have "money grab" written all over them. Slap it together fast, spending the least amount of time and effort, and put it in a pretty box - job done. There is so much they could have done, but surely the very least is a tiny bit of research? How long did it take members of this forum to figure out something wasn't right? Yet people in the business didn't pick up on it and care?

I just don't get it. The bean counters are running this series.

Queezma, slipkid, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  13. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

The world is full of kings and queens. Who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell!

Zumbi, Queezma, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Boy and to think I felt my pleas in the vol 4 thread for quality, pride and sock hampers might have been over the top.
    If Sab keeps it up you can have a stylish hamper in every room of the house.
    Thank the music gods VDGG is getting it right with their box.
    The craziest thing about this is how often the bands with the most money and ability to do it up right do it up wrong.
    Makes no sense.
    Kidding aside this has been maybe the most self control I have ever had to practice concerning music product.
    I really wanted these and if done right would have bought both cd and record sets. The final word on Sabbath.
    I was bummed but over it.
    F##k em.

Anthrax likes this.
  15. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much input the band has in these super deluxe releases. Do they have final approval ? No approval at all ? Any say in the matter ?

Gus Tomato likes this.
  16. According to one well-informed fellow member, Tony and Geezer were heavily involved at least in the making of the Vol. 4 SDE set. I don't know about this one though.

t-man 54 likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The next Super Deluxe coming soon :shh:

18. OMG. I am trembling with horror.

BDC, wrat, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

They could all look to the world of jazz which is currently enjoying some fantastic top class AAA reissues & digital transfers. Masterings are top notch, pressings and album covers are excellent, attention to detail is spot on. How does this happen? They are done by people who actually care about the details and quality.

There are so many classic bands that could use this approach to create some very lucrative reissue campaigns of their back catalogs. Sabbath unfortunately is a disaster and I can't see how they can fix their problems now, their catalog has been reissued so many times (exploited) that casual fans must feel bewildered by the mess.

Queezma, Greenalishi, wrat and 3 others like this.
  20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

After this one I'm going to wait for some reviews. Thanks to everybody who discovered and pointed out about the MP3 mess. Totally unacceptable. My copy just came from Amazon. Going right back

slipkid, Adam Bosman, wrat and 6 others like this.
  21. I am wondering: is that because jazz fans are expected to care about that kind of thing? And if that's indeed the case, does it mean the problem with Sabbath box sets is that people with Rhino and (to a lesser extent) Sanctuary believe metal fans are stupid anyway, so they'll buy whatever is thrown at them?

JulesRules, wrat, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  22. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I guess it includes the Cal Jam show taken from a bootleg.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Maybe to make it an authentic experience the new set will have us download the mp3s from Limewire.

24. I believe you have a very good chance to win that bet.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  25. I would kinda respect the honesty of that.

noname74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.