Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I would be willing to pay for the red tights if it meant that the album and live show would be mixed/mastered the way the FZ releases have been since 2012 though.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

But Zappa fans (me included) have been offered tons of previously unreleased music lately, silly packaging and all.

3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Surprised this one won’t have a surround mix. It’s probably their very best album for that type of treatment and we know a Quad release had even been planned back in the day.

I will have to get it for Asbury Park. I know it probably won’t sound as good as the flat transfer of the masters that is out there, but somehow having that show officially just seems hard to pass up.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I am going to fast forward a bit here, but if there's EVER a Never Say Die box set, all they have there to release for live material is audio from that Hammersmith show, yeah?

Sean and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  5. Pittsburgh 1978 too.
    Black Sabbath - Sep 2, 1978
    And there's a soundboard recording from Abilene, Texas. But it's less complete and more rough-sounding than both London and Pittsburgh, so... well... Thinking about it, this is Sabbath we're talking about, so Abilene is likely to be picked precisely because it sounds rougher and is more incomplete than the alternatives. ;)

supernaut, wrat, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. I will purchase this set only if either the album mastering or the live portion sound better than what I have. Or, even more unlikely, if the live portion is not Asbury Park but a previously unreleased show.

So probably not.

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Yeah I'm not all that excited by this. The "5LP" box is the album, three records worth of live stuff and a 7". There was really nothing else from the studio?

8. Will this be released by Rhino as well? So far I only see it labeled Sanctuary? This makes the Sabbath Super Deluxe series even more confusing, since the previous ones were released by Rhino.

The price is crazy. Especially for what's basically a 3xCD set.

9. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

and....?

i'm not complaining about getting the great music, just the silly and stupid things Ahmet would add to the box sets to make them more expensive for us to buy, which some may want, but from what i've seen in threads here, there are a TON of us that hate it.

Anthrax likes this.
  10. I can't really say I am surprised, given our experiences with the previous two Super Deluxe releases. But it is a shame, yes. Even more so since we don't get any outtakes from Sabotage either.

BDC likes this.
  11. I hear you. However, it seems that with Sabbath, we are asked to pay high prices even without getting those silly and stupid extras, let alone the tons of previously unreleased music.

supernaut likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

and inferior releases of the album material to boot. just cash grab city with the Sabbath camp. I never really feel like that with Zappa.

Purple, Rne and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This.

tonyballz likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is the biggest issue here; the price is way too high.

supernaut, GRompre68 and Purple like this.
  15. motionoftheocean

The Zappa camp has put out releases with crappy Halloween costumes in them and that still manages to feel less desperate than what Sabbath does.

Tojo, Purple, Anthrax and 2 others like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Of course, Sabbath hasn't got a huge vault like Frank, so there's less material to offer. But, yes, Black Sabbath offers a new remaster of their albums every ten years (or even less) and the bonus material is not that interesting. Furthermore, the price tags are a bit excessive.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Same distribution like Vol.4. Warner/Rhino=USA, Sanctuary/BMG=Europe.

By the way, it is funny to read all that speculations! Fact is... the producers of this box set couldn’t find the multi tracks or the Quad mix. Period!

18. Probably, but it is far from clear that Sabbath don't have a large vault. What we do know is that if they do, not much from it has been released.

Purple likes this.
  19. Thanks for the info! Of course we speculate as long as we don't know anything. So in case of Paranoid, Rhino had a great tape source for the Quad mix but decided only to release a stereo down fold; in case of Vol. 4, they did have all the multi tracks but for some reason told Wilson they don't; and in case of Sabotage, they had nothing at all?

What a mess.

wrat and rnranimal like this.
  20. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’ll bet they have tons of stuff buried away. Iommi had mentioned countless times the multiple boxes of old tapes he has. And I recall Geezer in one interview commenting on listening to old recordings of Ozzy singing an early version of ‘Die Young’ - imagine having that!

Purple and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Cool. Cautiously looking forward to this!

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It makes a difference, if you have outtakes in good or bad quality. I strongly doubt Iommi has lot of tapes, maybe cassettes :D

23. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Should have done this:

Disc 1: Sabotage album remastered
    Disc 2: Am I going Insane / Hole in the Sky single mixes, then jams, outtakes, alt. mixes
    Discs 3 & 4: Live show

24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

As long as they even release that live show. Hoping it happens! Thanks!

tinnox likes this.
  25. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Agreed, but it wasn't so great on Past Lives, so who knows what the quality will be on the super. I love the WB disc, just afraid they'll ruin the 2021 remaster. Sometime things should be left alone. Probably, not a must have for me.

supernaut, hi_watt and Use_Your_Koala like this.