Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Me too. I see bad sound and high prices.

2. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  3. As well as the Jethro Tull box sets. I really, really don't like Jethro Tull music, but the reissues are great value-for-the money for their fans (at least that is what I perceive).

4. :biglaugh:

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I have them all and they are. Even later Tull LPs that I wasn't really crazy about at the time are worth getting in this series, simply because they are so well done on so many fronts that you always find some sounds of interest that you never knew existed. Fabulous, in-depth booklets, and tremendous amounts of rare photos and graphics, too. These and the Be-Bop Deluxe sets have really set new standards for essential content and uniformity of design across a series of releases - the Black Sabbath offerings sadly look incredibly inferior compared to these other collections.

Edit: I must add as well, the value for money on the Tull and Be-Bop sets are right in tune - very reasonably priced.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  6. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It would be cool to to a reproduction of Tulls early single with the misspelling, jethro toe. A record store day fun thing

Haggis Wampovich and frank3si like this.
  7. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I can't seem to find a dedicated thread on the 24\96 release of this album from this year. Is the vinyl sourced from it? Just checked the files on spectrogram, they look healthy although I did not listen yet. At DR10 I'm hopeful it will replace my current cd version of this great album.

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Yes those Tull sets are incredible

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

All Super Deluxe incl. the upcoming sets were mastered from 24/192 hi-rez files. The LP-sets were also cut from hi-rez files. By the way Andy Pearce remastered the complete Ozzy Years already…. the 3rd time!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Real value in Sabbath deluxe box sets was when I bought the Paranoid CD box real late for $12.

Greenalishi and mmars982 like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Geez, I got it for $20 and thought I found a steal.

If Sabotage ever gets down to $12, I'll buy.

12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

To keep sealed and sell later... If they hadn't crapped on the book I'd open it.

Greenalishi, Purple and mmars982 like this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have the hires. I like it but cannot comment on the source. What is your current CD version? All I had was the 2016 and it has replaced that for me, but I don't think that is considered one of the better ones here.

Omnio likes this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

You should not fool yourself, flat mastering or better sounding reissues will not happen again. There is a hint on 13, called Zeitgeist :D

15. There is a thread dedicated to the digital copies of this release:
    Black Sabbath Sabotage 2021 digital
    The hi-res uses the same mastering as the CD release. The vinyl is sourced from the same digital mastering as well, although it possibly sounds more moderate due to whatever the vinyl cutter has done.

I think it's a bit rash to assume that the mastering probably sounds good just because the wave file doesn't look brickwalled. There are a million ways to ruin the sound of a recording without adding compression.

sathvyre and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, best example how to ruin great music is the back catalog of Genesis' SACDs. All were remixed with almost no compression, but the eq is smiley-face. Unlistenable to me. The CD-layer got an extra compression.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's worth remembering that Vinyl requires the music to have a specific mastering and EQ applied. So the digital files would have been worked on and "adjusted" to ensure it had optimal playback for the medium. What we really need is the same care and attention given to CD.

sathvyre and Greenalishi like this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, I took a look at the Paranoid 3-disc set today. There's been a lot of talk about how great the books have been, and while I've been critical of the Sabotage effort, I thought the Paranoid one was well done. Looking at the booklet that came with that earlier release really puts it into perspective though. There's nothing new in the hardback book. So if you have that earlier version, there's nothing worth getting worked up about. I'd compare the Volume 4 booklet, but honestly I think I know the answer.

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. You're talking about the 2009 Sanctuary 2xCD+1xDVD release, not the 2016/2020 Rhino 4xCD release, right? I thought that previous posters were referring to the latter. I might be wrong though.

20. Omnio

I just finished listening and comparing my current version (1987 Germany 832 706-2 Vertigo) to the hi-rez version and I prefer the cd, easily. Less in-your-face, more balanced and more dynamic sounding than the 2021 remaster. Ceterum censeso, I stick with my cd.

21. I recommend you to check out the original WB CD when you get the chance.

sandimascharvel, Omnio and Gus Tomato like this.
  22. Omnio

Yup, I've listened to that one and the Castle edition, to boot, but for my rig the boosted bass in the German mix just works best here. I guess we don't stand a chance for a proper dsd transfer for sacd, like the first five. That would be a killer, like MoR.

23. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

July 17 ..... today is Geezer's 72nd birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cheers:

24. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

Who’s guess is what that next Super Deluxe set is going to be?

To everyone in Jersey Vintage Vinyl Record shop is closing July 31st 2001.

sandimascharvel and Greenalishi like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is what I'd love. It sounds so good right now, it needs a good mangle.

Greenalishi likes this.