Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I have zero expectation they will do anything other than ruin it. The announcement of this release made me go check on my WB CD to make sure it's safe.

2. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Agreed. That is some straight up kookiness.

3. He has repeatedly mentioned piles of tapes he has in his basement. I don't think it's only cassettes.

wrat likes this.
  4. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

As mentioned by other posters, the lack of a surround sound remix is another disappointment considering the production and sonic qualities of the album.

wrat, Sean, ODShowtime and 1 other person like this.
  5. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

They wanted to replicate the original 7" which is stupid to do on a CD. It's not double sided or the right size.

supernaut, Purple and rnranimal like this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

For me this is the one that's gonna hurt most.
    We know how this is going to go.
    Let the commiserating commence.
    At this point im out of sock jokes.
    Hardest thing I did recently music wise was passing on that 4 box.
    Crosley owners and the deaf on a audiophile forum shout from the rooftops.
    Great just great.

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Good points.

I guess I’m only surprised in that it is the one album (aside from Paranoid) that did have a Quad mix at least in the working stages and with Steven Wilson having been involved with Vol.4, I kinda figured this would be the album they’d do it.

But as Claus points out, if they can’t find the multis then they can’t find the multis.

8. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

Finally !!! After Paranoid and Vol4 another album as super deluxe edition. I can't wait to hear the new remaster. My expectations are high. I was very satisfied with the latest remasters of Paranoid and Vol4 (super deluxe editions).

animaux and UlisesLima like this.
  9. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I really liked the Vol 4 box set but it is a bit curious there is no studio outtakes here or anything. Would love to hear just what the hell went on in the studio when Bill & Ozzy put down Blow on a Jug.

Sometimes I'm Happy never attempted in the studio? Who knows, perhaps this is saved for the - hopefully - upcoming Sabbath Bloody Sabbath box too.

Never having really gotten into any live Sabbath material before I got the Vol 4 deluxe box I am looking forward to this. Also really enjoyed the book from the Vol 4 box set. Pity about no studio extras, but I will get this nonetheless. Megalomania is one of the most interesting Sabbath songs, Symptom of the Universe is one of their very best songs and I was always fond of Thrill of It All. Such an uplifting song, a slow build with a lovely relieving climax.

Interesting how so many awesome box sets come out in 2021 though there isn't a proper anniversary!

hi_watt and Tomcat83 like this.
  10. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

This is okay box set for 30 pounds max.

11. I have a hard time believing they don't have anything at all, but if they really haven't, I imagine it might have something to do with the huge legal battle against their manager/former manager at the time, Patrick Meehan, that was going on while they were recording Sabotage. The accounts I've read sounded like it was a time of chaos for them.

<BLACK SABBATH - FAQ version 2.0 > has the following to say about Blow on a Jug:
    28. Mysterious track on SABOTAGE

The song appears at the end of "The Writ" on the album 'SABOTAGE'. The Song
    is about 20 seconds long and a little Sgt.Pepper like. The text is:
    Last one

Blow on the Jug

Everybody come on blow on a jug

Be like me and blow on a jug

I want you to blow on a jug

Everybody dig it blow on the jug tonight

If you are blowin' on the jug you are the jug love man

oh yeah heh heh oh yeah heh heh

Sadly enough the song doesn't appear on every 'SABOTAGE' version. You can hear
    him only on the US and UK vinyl version! Mark Jones (the secretary of Bill Ward)
    wrote the following: "Blowing On A Jug" was a little bit that was added to the
    end of one of the albums ['SABOTAGE']. It was Bill singing and playing the piano
    and was just something that the engineer caught during a session and it was
    put into the album. I'm not sure if it was the first time Bill had been caught
    singing on an album. He has sung "Swinging The Chain" and "It's Alright".
    Ozzy also sings on Blow On a Jug. The song is originally done by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
    This from BSAS vol 4 p. 18: [The story behind it relates to the Hollywood festival
    SABBATH played at in 1970 where an amusing incident occurred while Mungo Jerry were
    playing. Apparently all of the other name acts like Free, Family and Traffic were,
    along with SABBATH, desperately trying to blow each other away by borrowing amps to
    outstrip one another. But who went down the best that day? ****ing Mungo Jerry!
    Ozzy said "He was playing ****ing jugs and he stole the day! So it just shows you
    it doesn't matter what anybody thinks...after Mungo Jerry we didn't have a hope.
    Blowing on ****ing jugs!"]

I doubt they played it in studio. As nice as it was as a live jam, it's not really something I see as a proper Sabbath song. But of course it is possible they tried. I am content with the Asbury Park version.

wrat, hi_watt and Joe W like this.
  12. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

That Mungo Jerry story is priceless!

13. Speaking about the Sabotage Quad mix, I found this post quite helpful (if a bit frustrating):

Murph and Tim1954 like this.
  14. Speaking about Blow on a Jug, is anyone here familiar with the original by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band? Didn't find it on Youtube.

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This is swell, but, I wish it were a Sabbath Bloody Sabbath set instead.

wrat, rnranimal and drapes like this.
  16. Gus Tomato

Ive tried looking for this as well before. Maybe the melody is from a NGDB track? Doesn’t look like they’ve a song called ‘Blow On A Jug’.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  17. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

They skipped over the debut too.

Any one know of the release date?

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The "Blow On a Jug Story" is one that should be clarified, but not sure the band would remember too much more than we know.

It's Bill and Ozzy singing and Bill playing piano, AFAIK. From what I've read over the years it was a bit of an inside joke about a festival they played in 1970, iirc. This was like a three day festival with lots of big names, and apparently Mungo Jerry just went down insanely well. And the papers were talking about how Mungo Jerry was the story of the entire festival and I think as a band they kind of had an inside joke that maybe "jug band" music was the coming thing. Something along those lines...

I remember it being attributed to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band but I'm not exactly sure how that started.

hi_watt and Gus Tomato like this.
  19. Gus Tomato

I’d go with that - it does sound like a totally made up in the studio effort.

Purple likes this.
  20. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Lots of potential here, both positive and negative. I myself prefer Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath but might pick this up if the price ends up being right.

A couple of comments: Sabbath have never been adventurous with their set lists, so the fact that it matched Asbury Park doesn’t mean it is. Bands usually record a few shows when they are making a live album even if it’s just to practice with the recording gear. That being said I would guess it’s highly likely to be that show.

Regarding Sometimes I’m Happy, it’s been ages and ages since I’ve listened to it, but didn’t the riff for that morph into the acoustic outro riff of Symtom of the Universe?

21. Gus Tomato

22. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

23. I don't think Sabbath were planning a live album though, were they? I thought Asbury Park 1075 was recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour. I believe Sabbath were probably too busy with their legal battle etc. to even think about a live album. (Too bad because I believe it could have become huge.) Only two years later, a live album was indeed planned and shows recorded, but somehow the album was cancelled:
    Black Sabbath Unreleased Live Album

As for Sometimes I'm Happy, there's multiple live renditions available on ROIO from 1974 and 1975. I don't remember them all, but at least the 1974-11-05 Sydney and 1975-08-05 Asbury Park renditions don't seem to morph into the SotU outro riff as far as I can hear.

ODShowtime and Joti Cover like this.
  24. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Yes, you are probably right about the live album.

I meant that it was the same basic riff. Someone up-thread asked if it had ever been used in the studio and I was under impression that it had been, but not directly - changed a bit, funked up and played on an acoustic. Is it not similar? Again, it's been years since I've listened to it. I might have to rectify that!

25. Ah, of course. Sorry, I completely misunderstood what you meant by "morph into". There definitely is a similarity, I agree. I am not 100% sure the SIH riff was intentionally developed into the acoustic SotU riff, but it doesn't seem unlikely, and the latter certainly sounds influenced by the former.

drapes likes this.