Black Sabbath - Sabotage - 5 LPs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cranny, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

if they did them as super deluxe theyd be way to pricey for a box with an album and a live show....

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Regarding the price: as with every single release to ever come out in the past 25 years, this is the MSRP and the price will come down before release date if you order from the right places. Always does.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

Ozzy era is my favorite era, that I love and cherish it’s got a special place in my heart, but I also like the Martin era and think he deserves a lot more respect than he gets.

4. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Another cash grab, this time with no studio outtakes? What a drag, this is my favorite Sabbath album.. I would love to hear a pre-synth Am I Going Insane or Supertzar before the strings and voices (or an isolated strings and voices track). I have better things to spend that much money on.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I feel bad saying this but this year’s Sabbath releases have been why downloads (particularly the illicit kind) are here to stay. These releases are sucker’s deals and they’re basically begging people to steer away from the physical product through sheer embarrassment.

supernaut, oneway23, Anthrax and 4 others like this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I agree that the box set is a ripoff, but this is probably my favorite Sabbath album of all time. Actually, it's probably one of my favorite albums of all time, period. I'll probably buy this just to get the Asbury Park show on vinyl. So yeah, I'll likely fork over more than $100 just to get a live album on three LPs.

supernaut and MetalPatchesVinyl like this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Official press release??

8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

This is my sadness as well. I have a nm uk and us record. The remaster will never better those. Its all about the live show.
    They managed to screw up the last one so we shall see.
    Im still not over 4 though. I guess as long as there is this cheer for mediocrity it will be a while to never that we get a truly thoughtful respectful quality approach to the material.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Agreed. As unfortunate as it is, a large percentage of the Sabbath fanbase buys anything with the Sabbath name on it as long as it’s new and louder. Those folks are the target market for this stuff, not us. I’d like to think although I respect audio quality, I’m not doctrinaire enough to avoid something simply because it doesn’t have a DR of 105. That being said, these recent releases have sounded like straight trash. It doesn’t require much beyond laptop speakers to hear that.

10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I would feel better about buying any of these Sabbath sets if the main album would not be subjected to such gross brutality in the mastering process. I have avoided buying the Vol. 4 box, so far, but if I decide to peruse "the net" and can find a sealed copy at a heavily discounted price (or at least some reasonable price) I'll eventually want to take a bit (just to be able to hear and have the material that is exclusive to the box.) I'll get Sabotage at some point in the same manner (if possible) as well.

Are any of these Sabbath boxes finding their way to lower price-ville or is the original retail price remaining steady on them?

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm assuming the main album will have the same garbage mastering the last 3 2021 Sabbath remasters have had so that's of no value and the 4th CD of 2 edit version songs is a new level of absurdity in the art of the bloat.

That leaves 2 CDs of a show I already have in excellent quality. That's nowhere near enough need to be buying this. But I'll be curious about the live show source/sound- Is this show a different mix than the boot? Like the Past Lives tracks, did they just use the bootleg as the source? Did they ruin it in mastering?

12. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Completely predictable.

ODShowtime, giantleech and hi_watt like this.
  13. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

It hardly deserves the title ‘Super Deluxe’ with that content in all fairness. Even if the remaster and live show sounded brilliant I’d still feel ripped off.

14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Like Claus already advised us, they were unable to locate the multis for Sabotage, so it's certainly possible that they are simply having to make due with what they have.

While this triple live LP is something most of us bootleg collectors have (assuming it's Asbury Park), I would suspect the majority of listeners don't collect that type of thing, so making it available commercially seems a decent enough idea, IMO.

Asbury is a superb recording by KBFH but if they could find a little more bass it would be great. Sadly, I doubt it'll improve on the flat transfer of the master that is already out there.

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

If the live material is from Asbury Park it is hard to believe this release will have better SQ than the KBFH sourced bootlegs I have do I will wait to get reviews before I order.

Now if it is from other shows not in circulation count me in.

16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

As I don't have the live show i am excited to get this box.

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Meh

Lovecraft and hi_watt like this.
  18. The Asbury Park show is so universal. I can't justify spending that kind of money on something I already have. I'll have to pass, but I wouldn't mind it at a grossly discounted price as mentioned earlier. I am way more down for the Never Say Die box whenever that comes out assuming it has the Hammersmith show.

19. You can always start a thread.

20. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

If they couldn't find the Sabotage multi-tracks, WHY DOES THIS SET EVEN EXIST?

I already know the answer to that question.

21. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Wow.

Someone needs to show Sabbath and their management what the Who are giving us for the Who Sell Out SD, at a significantly lower price point, and ask them to look at themselves in the mirror really, really hard.....

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right!

The Ozzy years are on schedule and they will finish the Super Deluxe Series within 2 or 3 years. BS are not The Beatles, where the producers have enough time to check all vaults.

23. MetalPatchesVinyl

MetalPatchesVinyl Forum Resident

I really want that Asbury Park show on vinyl, so I’ll probably buy this.

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Weird. So they are releasing the even albums (2, 4, 6, etc) and skipping the uneven.