Black Sabbath - Sabotage | The Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CaptainSizzle, Jan 8, 2022.

1. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Only just came across this on my YouTube feed and didn't realise you had made a thread here as I posted a link in a different Sabbath thread

Just wanted to say thank you for making this

I was thoroughly entertained throughout

It really is marvellous stuff, very well done

2. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Great fkn job @CaptainSizzle !!!
    Succinct, comprehensive & entertaining! I'd watch these all day long if it were a series. Thank you for this.

3. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

This is really good.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. CaptainSizzle

CaptainSizzle The Tapes Archives Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind words, it really does encourage me to make more. It's funny you bring up the picture thing with Simpson. I only found 3 and they weren't that great. Plenty of him over the last 10 years but from the 70's not much. I'm glad my 40-year love of Sabbath showed through. Thanks for watching and commenting.

5. CaptainSizzle

Hi Remurmur!! I had to respond to just say thank you so much for the kind words. I know it sounds corny but making a video that gets someone to take the time to throw some props my way hits me on the feels.
    I thought I was a big Sabbath fan until I started digging in on Sabotage. lol..TBH there were more than a couple of things I didn't know..haha thanks again!!

Northwind and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  6. CaptainSizzle

Zappa is my other love...Now I can't decide if I want to do another Sabbath video or Zappa. lol

7. CaptainSizzle

Hey Cat!! Thank you so much! And just know many of us hate you that you got to see Sabbath so many times when some of us never saw them in the 70's lol
    Cmon man I want to see you in that shirt. Or at least a picture of that shirt...Trust me my fat-ass could def not fit into my Ozzy Bark at the Moon shirt..haha But if I still had the shirt I'd post a pic.

8. CaptainSizzle

Hahah so funny you caught that...TBH I sat there in front of my computer for like 5min debating if I was committing a Sabbath sin by reversing that image. BUT it was the only way it worked unless I wanted to redo the Ozzy side. Laziness took over.

animaux likes this.
  9. CaptainSizzle

Thank you! It's called K22 Gadget. You can download it here.

gpalz likes this.
  10. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Me too. Do Bongo Fury! Would love to have your take on what exactly was going on there.

11. CaptainSizzle

Thanks, Street Legal! In hindsight, I wished I would have reworded that end part. I'm actually a fan of Technical Ecstasy and Never Say die. Are they as good as Sabotage IMO no, but I still think they are quality albums. I don't think it was a secret during this time the band was starting to split more and more.

streetlegal likes this.
  12. CaptainSizzle

Thank you! Did you use to come to my record store? Check out below..lol

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. CaptainSizzle

Thank you! I would love to..But I'd actually probably skip Paranoid and maybe their first one. Not because they are bad records, but because it seems like they have been covered in so many other ways and videos.

tages and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. CaptainSizzle

Thank you! I def used Mick Wall's book amongst others. Below is the list in case anyone is interested.

Books and Authors used for research and critical lines:

Iron Man by Tony Iommi

I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne

Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe: Symptom of the Universe by Mick Wall

Sabotage! Black Sabbath in the Seventies by Martin Popoff

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: The Battle for Black Sabbath by Garry Sharpe-Young

How Black Was Our Sabbath: An Unauthorized View from the Crew by David Tangye and Graham Wright

Rat Salad: Black Sabbath, The Classic Years, 1969--1975 by Paul Wilkinson

Mr. Big : Ozzy, Sharon and My Life As the Godfather of Rock by Don Arden and Mick Wall

One of the family: the Englishman and the Mafia by John Pearson

Black Sabbath: An Oral History by Mike Stark

Black Sabbath: Doom Let Loose: An Illustrated History by Martin Popoff

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  15. CaptainSizzle

HAha this may be the only new fact that I actually discovered on my own.

16. @CaptainSizzle I thought this was exceptional. Great job, and hope to see more of your work. Sabotage is a Masterpiece and not only my favorite Sabbath album but my favorite album by any artist.

One thing I came away with is Butcher was not yelling “checking” like checking the levels, but rather yelling Attack! Love the explanation of how that silly phrase wound up becoming so iconic and ingrained in our collective Sabbath psyche. Can you imagine playing the album now and not hearing that? I’ve been running around yelling that phrase incessantly since I watched the documentary. Also the tale of how Blow on the Jug dropped was in the end of the album, sheer brilliance. :laugh:

My new toy . . . ATTACK!

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Megaphone-Speaker-Bullhorn-Built/dp/B003CIXLJ4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  17. tages

tages Senior Member

I really loved the way yours was put together and I think it would be fantastic to have a full (Ozzy era) set.

What books would you particularly recommend on 70’s Sabbath? I would love to read one that goes in-depth on the actual music.

18. Sabbath, please. As an aside, one of Frank’s favorite songs was Supernaut, I’m sure you know. With so much amazing Zappa vault material coming our way, perhaps you can focus on more Sabbath documentaries, that is before ZFT hires you for their needs.

CaptainSizzle, hutchguv and tages like this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I enjoyed the video. Not sure you quite managed to stitch together the management issues with the making of Sabotage, but I'm nitpicking. I enjoyed it - thanks for making/posting it.

20. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

[​IMG]

Pardon me for cutting in to a post directly asking CaptainSizzle a question, but I got this for xmas, I still have to read it, but a quick browse through it and it’s literally about every single Black Sabbath song ever recorded from the debut up to 13. Looks a bit technical in the descriptions, like maybe a musician would understand it more, but I’m looking forward to digging into it.

21. tages

tages Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, looks like what I’m looking for. :righton:

Gus Tomato and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. Wow looks like a great tome. Anyone have this and recommend?

23. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I've pm' you :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. animaux

animaux Bababooey!

There's a really good preview here: Experiencing Black Sabbath

25. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Saw this yesterday :righton:

Scope J likes this.