Black Sabbath - Sabotage | The Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CaptainSizzle, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Well done! I really enjoyed it.

CaptainSizzle likes this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

3. CaptainSizzle

CaptainSizzle The Tapes Archives Thread Starter

4. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Hi again :wave:

I finally got to see the published version in Metal Injection.

This was fantastic and there should be one for all the albums or the one's with a lot of controversy or interesting things happening around them.

Imagine one on Born Again with the huge stone fiasco and all.

Idk, just a thought that entered my brain.

5. CaptainSizzle

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

^^ Thanks for providing the above polls/links; I voted for SBS on twitter and I'm pleased to see it's currently well in the lead there, with a little over 70% of the votes. I was tempted to vote for their 1st album/how they formed but I have The Black Sabbath Biography book by Chris Welch (previously mentioned and quoted in this thread) which does go into quite a bit of detail on Sabbath's formation and their early days, so I'd like to see a doc. on their 5th album first.

Ted

7. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Just voted on YouTube

Technical Ecstasy Never say die period

For the bands Ozzy Randy Rhoads period

Also

Just ignore negative YouTube comments

it's easy to hide behind a keyboard and throw insults

I type everything online that I would say in real life

good or bad

Constructive criticism I believe can be helpful, but a person leaving only negative comments with no actual explanation is worthless

8. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I used the YouTube link but can we vote in them all?

And I chose Vol 4 purely for the cocaine story. What I have read seems pretty hilarious and I think maybe there is more to the story....?

For the band, I chose Deep Purple because I would like to find out more about the video for 'Hush" with the singer dancing and singing in a only towel or small blanket or some such.

9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Voted on TY for TE/NSD. That's the story I want to know, although any of the others would be fine as well. Love "Speak Of The Devil" it would be interesting to hear the story behind that one as well. I remember reading the band rehearsed for it without Ozzy.

10. CaptainSizzle

Thanks for voting! It's funny, depending on the platform every one of the polls is different. I may just have to decide which one has the best backstory...BTW I bought the Chris Welch book today. I found it on eBay for $5, I could not believe it.

11. CaptainSizzle

Nice! Glad you liked it!! Man, I just don't know if I will have time to one on each. Don't get me wrong I love Sabbath, but there are other bands to cover. Hahaa
    I love Born Again!! To me, it's as Sabbathy as any other Sabbath album.

12. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

You're welcome. That's a great price for that book, cheers to finding it that cheap. It's frequently a very detailed read, and has some great photos of the Ozzy and Dio lineups of the Group.

Ted

13. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

That was an excellent documentary which I enjoyed very much. Could have easily consumed an hour-long version, it was that good.

14. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

Due to your and CaptainSizzle's detective work.
    I'm not sure which is more disturbing...knowing Bill is wearing Ozzy's underwear or now knowing Ozzy is naked underneath the kimono :D.

15. CaptainSizzle

Probably the highest compliment you could give an editor. Thank you!!

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  16. CaptainSizzle

FYI everyone it really looks like overall most people want a Master of Reality video next. Starting my research today!!

Paulette, 100423, hutchguv and 4 others like this.
  17. CaptainSizzle

Hey Nod!
    I"m working on my next Sabbath video and I'm hoping you can help me correct where I went wrong to you with studios. (The video is on Master of Reality.)
    Any idea if Island Studio was a 16 or 24 track studio? I see info that points to both.
    Do you have any images/video of the studio? Or of Roger Bain the producer?
    Thanks!

18. What a mess indeed! And in 1986, when Don Arden got arrested and stopped being Tony's manager, who did Tony turn to, again? Patrick Meehan, of all managers in the world! In hindsight, Tony has admitted that was a bad decision, and blamed the coke. Still mind-boggling. Luckily it didn't last long.

19. hutchguv

In audio interviews Tony mostly comes across as this humble, likeable, mellow chap. He's very interesting when he's talking about the music.

But as numerous sources have pointed out, that's not his personality at all

If you compare Ozzy's post Sabbath and Tony post Ozzy Sabbath careers, it really is amazing how important a manager is to Rock Stars.

I'm sure it's mentioned in books that Sharon was at one time interested romantically in Tony.... Imagine if things were different and she had married Tony, I wonder how that might of affected Sabbath's career

I realise that's just speculative nonsense, but I reckon we would have had a lot more archive material released

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  20. hutchguv

Looking forward to seeing it, even though that wasn't my choice, as I've said before really enjoyed your last documentary

21. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

How's it going with this?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  22. CaptainSizzle

Hey Paulette!!
    Not bad...Yesterday I finished the first draft script, which is 19 pages. For comparison, the Sabotage one was only 9 pages. So I probably need to cut it down some. I'm hoping to have the final script by early March. So that would make it by maybe mid-April to have a new video. But it just depends.

23. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I can't wait!!

24. I have only started watching the documentary today, and even after having watched only the first 8 minutes I fully agree this should have been part of the Sabotage "Super Deluxe" box set. However, I am not sure I can agree that this "would have fit very nicely" - even the first 8 minutes of this video are already 1500% better than anything included in the box set, and clearly created with much more care. A mediocre remaster, a lossy-sourced, badly remastered live bootleg and a fake CD single? The documentary would have made the rest of the box set look even more bad.

I'll be back later when I'm finished watching. Very enjoyable so far. I am not sure I've ever seen the conflict with Meehan properly covered in any video documentary before.

25. Congratulations @CaptainSizzle for the success of the doc so far. You'll hit the 1,000,000 views, soon.