BLACK SABBATH - Technical Ecstasy box coming October 2021.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Rudy Sarzo's book talks about how much of a struggle it could be to get Ozzy on stage during the Blizzard tour, especially when playing two shows a day. The implication being that Ozzy still wasn't that interested in music and took for granted the amazing band he had with him. It seems Ozzy regretted this once Randy died.

obi, Curveboy, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  2. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

The Wilson Mixes minus "It's Alright" of course are excellent!!!
    Best this album has ever sounded hands down :)
    So many buried parts are now audible and the seperation is great

3. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

I'm hoping when the next Black Sabbath Box Set is released it's announced on this thread, so I can get an alert.

Joe Seigler closed down the Black Sabbath Online forums, that was my main source for Sabbath information.

Music_dude likes this.
  4. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

He did? Why??

5. tillman

tillman Forum Resident

There are a few CD sets left for ~$50 on eBay.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

7. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

Thanks for that and kudos to him for knowing when to say when. I know from firsthand experience how exhausting it can be to manage other folks' moods and emotions. When something similar happened to me in the work realm I had to recognize the fact that it was a "me" problem and that it was time to step aside and let it go (...at least for now!).

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Sounds quite similar to how the All Pink Floyd Fan Network died (except that in that case, the whole site is irretrievably gone). I hope people won't have lost too many valuable connections with each other... :(

9. Yeah, I am familiar with such situations myself.

However, there are also different cases, of course. We are not allowed here to critically discuss other forums, so I cannot talk specifically about what happened on Siegler's; let me try to phrase it more generally: Sometimes former forum members and/or owners who announce that their forum has been closed actually bear a significant part of the responsibility for what went wrong themselves, even though they refuse to acknowledge it.

Back to topic: In the course of listening to Steven Wilson's TE remixes several times, their loud mastering has increasingly started to bother me. Plus, unlike several other people here, I like It's Alright, it has further grown on me recently, and the mono version included with the remixes sounds significantly inferior to the original stereo mix. I'll probably end up listening to a re-EQed version of the 2012 Pearce remaster of TE most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2021
  10. OzzyIsDio

Because of continuous arguing with a psychotic sociopath who went by the name Back To Eden aka Doc, there were numerous people fighting with this guy because he kept hurling insults at other members who didn't agree with him and in the end I got fed up with him too, and called him out on his lying and called him every name in the book, I use to be one of the only friends he had and a sock puppet account he had by the name of ronn, in the end he wouldn't stop playing his games with me and continuously kept fish baiting me with Sabbath gifts has he had with so many others before.

I told him I don't need your free gifts and all the other Bull$h!t that came with it, he got a lot of people banned from that forum, so I got fed up with his BS and lies and let him have it, so I guess that was the final straw that broke the Camel's back and Joe Siegler shut the boards down, plus there wasn't too much activity going on anymore as most of the important members got banned because of Back To Eden and the rest left because he kept continuously insulting people who didn't agree with him , so they left.

He is an actual Doctor with money so he basically had Joe in his pocket with all the money he would donate to the forum, and Joe let him get away with a lot, where people who would've said a lot less than he did would get banned, but I guess Joe had enough and shut down the forums.

There is more to the story, but I'll just leave it at this, I actually thought the guy was my friend and had changed his ways, but he didn't, he then started playing his games with me, I guess he ran out of people to mess with, so I let him have it, and so Joe closed the forum down.

BluesOvertookMe and Music_dude like this.
  11. animaux

animaux Bababooey!

Sad. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

12. OzzyIsDio

Yes very sad, I’m surprised he hasn’t joined this forum yet.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. I am surprised by the accurateness of your narrative, but you forgot to mention how you did the dirty work for him many times and how you cheered when so many people who disagreed with you and him were banned. You were one of his two or three most devoted followers and enablers. Every time when the exact points you just made here here were pointed out over there by me and others, you did your very best to hoot us down. I am not trying to start a discussion, just amending the missing parts of the story.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    OzzyIsDio, Curveboy and rnranimal like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I wasn't a member of that forum, but with the limited experience I have with knowledgeable Sabbath folk, I'm not at all surprised he had issues. And you're right, setting it aside is the way to go. No-one likes ivory towers.

sillycornelius and OzzyIsDio like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I think we'd all be better off not dragging whatever angst was over there into these good forums. As Steve Hoffman himself posted recently, there's way too much angst on THIS forum today. At the end of the day it's just music, and as such caters for all kinds of opinions. Some just can't handle that.

16. OzzyIsDio

I think you’re right Vaughn, and I stop here no further discussion about BSO.

if these posted I posted I will delete them and ask anyone who quoted me to delete theirs I don’t want anyone banned or reprimanded or I myself banned I joined this forum in good faith.

I’ll say this and then I’ll speak no more of the other forum or what took place. Linda is a 100% correct in what she said about me.

I no longer have any contact with that sicko and have cut him off completely.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Vaughan and sillycornelius like this.
  17. OzzyIsDio

@hodgo can you please delete this post and others I made regarding the other forum and also the posts of mine that were quoted, I didn’t know you weren’t allowed to discuss other forums, sorry for my actions.

18. OzzyIsDio

Correct Linda and I’m truly sorry.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Some people are very easy to fall out with, especially when they have the unfortunate trait of always having to ne right, and never conceding their own words or actions are what need addressing. Some are simply unwilling, or unable, to perform self-reflection. Eventually, once you've seen it enough to recognize it for what it is, they deserve to be relegated to the also rans. That is, ignoring them, no matter what knowledge they may have, they've simply discredited themselves. Not that, at any time, everyone will agree with the assessment, that's the nature of the internet. It really doesn't matter. Enjoy what you enjoy, and don't let other lecture you on why you should hate on something. It's all negative energy. I could have predicted some of the responses you've had here, it's the norm for some to attack others, over and over and over. It's all a rather childish "I must have the last word" mentality. So weird in grown adults. There are no winners, only losers on forums.

That said, when you join a new forum, you get to go again. Don't bring over the baggage of the old site. Start afresh, and have fun. If you know a bad player, ignore them as best you can, but don't get drawn into a silly petty, back and forth. :righton:

OzzyIsDio likes this.
  20. OzzyIsDio

Agreed Vaughn, you’re a smart man, I’m glad I joined these forums lots of good people here.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Don't be fooled, most know more than I do. :D

JulesRules likes this.
  22. OzzyIsDio

What you said above was very wise, and I’m truly sorry that I ever even wasted time with that guy Doc, I lost a lot of friends on that forum because of him, I felt like I had to be loyal to him despite him disparaging people, then I just left the forums for awhile I fell out with him, I didn’t like the way he was treating people but at the same time I felt I had to be loyal to him, so when I came back to the forum he started fish lining me again, and when the forum wars broke out I felt I had to back him up because the people that fought against him, had received a lot of expensive gifts, I’m talking vinyl box sets and other rare Sabbath stuff, so I had his back, and that people were being ungrateful to him, when all along they were right and I was wrong, so people got banned, people I was friends with, yes I felt bad and even tried to get the banned people reinstated back to the forum but Joe Seigler wouldn’t have it, Doc had him in his pocket with all the money he was donating to the forum and in the end when he ran out of people to mess with he started his games with me, so I let him have it, I called him out in everything he did, I called him every name in the book along with a psychotic narcissistic sociopath, so Joe shut down the forums because of that, the guy Doc played stupid pretended he didn’t know what I was taking about, so I called ******** on him that he knew very well what I was talking about and that was the end of that.

One of the Guys I was friends with before we fell out because of the forum wars, died of a drug overdose, I felt bad I never got to make amends with him, I thought about him for a very long time, his username was BillyUnderdog, very cool guy, it was sad what happened to him and the remorse I felt was unbearable. So that’s the story, there you guys have it, and yes Linda is right I backed him up to the end till all those members got banned including Linda.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  23. OzzyIsDio

I think the Technical Ecstasy was a great Idea I hope Never Say Die! is next and that eventually all the Ozzy era albums get the Super Deluxe Treatment, I'm really hoping for the eponymous one to get the Super Deluxe treatment.

24. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Maybe someone else did a better job with an answer, but here's my try (I wasn't aware of this in the past, but since I record, mix and master music by myself, I don't stop learning a bit every day:)):

Your theory only works with certain scenarios - e.g. AC/DC recording with Vanda/Young back in the 70ties: very samey musical, instrumental and vocal choices, all recorded within a few days in the same environment - and you're done more or less, bang!

But this wasn' the case with Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy. TE is REALLY varied in its soundscapes, so what works for "Dirty Women" most possibly won't work for "Gypsy" (or "It's Alright" which is even further away soundwise):
    Different instrumentation, different dynamics - heck, even changing the guitar amp can lead to rethink the complete aural situation!

Back in the day, your sound was bound to the studio of your choice, and that "helped" to create a certain coherence (nowadays, "enjoying" total flexibility with every imaginary VST, that goal really is harder to achieve!).
    But if you have such a bouquet like Sabbath had in '76, your mixing choices have to (yes, they have to) be adjusted in major ways to empasize what you want to be heard and how dominant that shall be the case for every single song.
    It was the daily routine for engineers in the big studios to handle stuff like that, so no big deal (depending on the engineers's competencies;)), and the producers were more like supervising them, judging results and/or possibilities.

What I want to say is making for a cohesive listening experience within an album was/is part of the job - it's not something that just happens along the way.
    When I started with recording, I thought that by making a mix for a song, you have something like a blueprint for the rest of the songs - boy, was I wrong!:laugh:
    As I said before, that only works within very strict regulations - and clearifies again how much of a lucky guy Rodger Bain was: Those first three Sabbath albums have almost zero input by him, he just had to record what was already there and enjoy his time.
    In case you're interested: the sound engineer's name back then (I mean with the first Sabbath albums) was "Tom Allom" - and in case you don't know, he became famous for producing Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Krokus, Y&T, Pat Travers...

25. Great post, thank you.

Tom Allom has several appearances in the Paranoid - Classic Albums video. Great to hear him talk about the recording process and see him play around with the tracks:
    Classic Albums. Black Sabbath - Paranoid. - video Dailymotion