Black Sabbath Vol.4 2016 CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is no louder than the 2009, just improved due to better EQ. It's not over the top bright like the black box.

John Bliss likes this.
  2. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Black Sabbath Vol 4 is one of those notoriously muddy-sounding albums that everyone has tried to tinker with one way or another over the years. The upside is that fans have many different versions to enjoy.

I'm personally a big fan of the Rhino LP, which blasts out waves of powerful bass. It's probably a bit much, but after listening for a few seconds, I feel that it sounds right, that this is how it should sound. I greatly preferred this reissue to the original "palm tree" and "green" label WB records. Loud (in a good way), punchy, strong, instruments are cleaarly defined. Yeah, I love this one.

I also have a UK NEMS pressing, which I really enjoy (I love that little label and endlessly regret the chance to grab a NEMS Sabotage LP). It sounds notibly lighter in the low end, but very crunchy and balanced in the guitars.

I previously owned a Germna Vertigo press, and that was soooo thick and muddy. The Rhino is ppositively bright by comparison. Too soupy for my tastes, and I eventually sold it.

On digital, I've had the original CD, the first remaster that followed that, the Black Box set that was notoriously clipped & distorted (still sounded really good at times). I wondder what fans think of the 1995/96 Castle masters? I had a Paranoid & Vol 4 LP that were cut from the Castle CDs and sounded terrific. That Vol 4 is brighter but fairly balanced, definitely an attempt to "correct" the album's sloppy production. I looved that one to death. The cover lacks the gatefold or photos, but the cover had a red-orange shade that I absolutely loves, and the LP only cost $10 back in 2008. I ought to find that pressing again, whoever made it (cough, bootleg, mobsters, cough).

danielbravo likes this.
  3. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You need to hear the UK Porky Vertigo mate ;-)

Mike Campbell and Daniel Thomas like this.
  4. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I have the original Warner Brothers CD, the Black Box CD and the 2016 CD. On only the 2016 CD there is a bad tape drop-out in the right channel in "Wheels of Confusion" that starts at 4:52 and lasts for about 25 seconds. I imagine all copies are like that. Can anyone please confirm if theirs has it or not and if the 2009 has a similar issue?

Mike Campbell and John Buchanan like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, today I ordered the 2016 Sabbath remasters by Amazon (except for the debut album, because I have the latest Deluxe Edition; Paranoid, because I'm going to buy the 4-cd set; and Master of Reality, because it was not immediately available, and I didn't want two different packages being sent). I hope this is the last bleeding time ever I have to buy these albums!
    Regarding Volume 4, I've always loved my old Castle cd, but I'm looking forward to listening to these remasters, anyway.

6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

This !

2009 remaster by Andy Pearce or the old Castle (remaster by Ray Staff)

BDC, Mike Campbell and zen like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, at least I have the good old Castle.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  8. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

For the Volume 4 cd, I prefer my 86 Castle. The 2009 Pierce remaster sounds great as well, if you don't mind a touch of compression.

9. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

wheels of confusion at the 3:30 mark, when they push the gas pedal through the floor boards......is one of the greatest hard rock moments of all time.....at that 3:30 mark not sure what ward and iommi were plugged into, but holy Christ......if this song doesn't prove that ward is one of the most under rated drummers ever, I will eat my shorts....and at the 5;00 mark, ward blows the drums up....this is off the 96 castle.....still not sure what version to get to upgrade.....so many opinions and thoughts....vary confusing......looking at the SHM version right now.....what to do, what to do.

10. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

The 2012 SACD sounds good to me but Black Sabbath is probably best heard on a nice vinyl pressing.

11. Mike Campbell

A teensy weensy off topic here, but Supernaut? Ward hits those drums like a jack hammer......the whole band is on fire.....one of the greatest SAb songs and greatest rock songs ever.....IOMMI must have been plugged into 220 volts......No one has EVER done hard rock better.......I will check the SACD....do you mean the JPN SACD? ward hits those drums at about the 3:30 mark....Jesus, that's beautiful.

CBackley and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. Mike Campbell

is the SACD you refer to 2 channel or surround?

13. Mike Campbell

I think they hit their stride on 4.....really came together. Their best. Musically...

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Stereo.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Ray Staff did the 1996 Castle which I don't care for.

16. Mike Campbell

The staff doesn't breath....

rnranimal likes this.
  17. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Yes the Japan SACD (stereo) but I don't find the drums too kick ass so that might be a disappoinment to you. The debut album and Master of Reality sounds much better on SACD so it's probably the mastering for Vol. 4 to be the problem. For example St. Vitus Dance sounds great but Snowblind seems to go through volume spikes. On Tomorrow's Dream the drums appear more prominant than on Supernaut.

18. Mike Campbell

much appreciated...

19. Mike Campbell

So the JPN SHM SACD is the way to go? it's apparently pricey.....I don't care. I must have it.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The SHM-SACD and UK Vertigo Porky (better than Vertigo non-Porky) are the best I have ever heard them on digital and vinyl respectively.

21. Mike Campbell

thanks. they never made a bad release, but 4 has always been my favorite....it seems to stand the test of time, IMHO. I must have 4, at any cost. I have the top OPPO and the top Revels.....so, like Ozzy used to say "Let the madness begin."

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's one of the Ozzy era albums I can never tire of hearing, so I've heard a ton of versions.

23. Mike Campbell

I've had a ton also.....lps and discs...so on to another one...

24. Mike Campbell

hope they get GEEZER proper.

25. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

I've been debating picking up the 2016 cd version of volume 4, to complete my Sabbath remaster collection. I'm on the fence about this since I already have the old 86 Castle for this title that I'm very happy with. Moreover, I've read both positive and negative reviews of the 2016 cd edition. Some say they like how it's eq'ed, while other members here feel it's too bright. I was wondering if someone here wouldn't mind comparing the 86 Castle with the current 2016 version, along with their opinion whether it's worth the purchase. Thanks! Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.