Black Sabbath Vol.4 2016 CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Personally I find that of the multiple version I own, the Japan SHM-SACD is my favorite. :agree:

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I don't have it yet but the 2016's are all $10 at Walmart in Canada.

3. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

The JPN SHM SACD?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

no the digipac warner bros./rhino remasters

Mike Campbell likes this.
  5. Mike Campbell

ok,,,,,will give it a try, where is that available? and what year was it out?

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

7. Mike Campbell

as ALWAYS some like it, some think its no big deal.......it's cheap....so I will get it....but also want to get the SHM SACD and hear the difference....and again as always, it depends on one's system and their hearing capabilities.....every one has different hearing, as they do eye sight.....thanks though.....as of right now, I have the 1996 Castle. I want better. So therefore, just ordered it....thanks, $7.00.....no big deal. I've pissed away money on a lot worse things.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Brenald79 likes this.
  8. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I just want to give another option as I like this one too, CLACD 199 (France). It's brighter than the SACD but also a bit cleaner sound and better dynamics.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

9. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I have the SACD which I love but I would like to give the CD you noted a go.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the 2016 cd. I wanted to have the complete 2016 collection, and Volume 4 is the only one I'm missing. I will say that judging by the other releases thus far, I've been absolutely blown away by the tonal quality of these remasters. If the sound on Volume 4 is anything like those, I'll be very happy. The 2009 sounds a lot like my 86 Castle, with a bit of extra punch thrown in for good measure. It will be interesting to hear how the 2016 stacks up against those two. As an aside, what does the 86 Castle most closely resemble? Is it the UK porky, or the US green label?

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

OK, I think I better try the newest US disc based on these comments. Right now all I've got is the 96 Castle.

yesstiles likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The 2016's also come with a very nice booklet with lots of pics and liner notes.

Shvartze Shabbos and John Bliss like this.
  13. Mike Campbell

Just got the 2016 Warn Bros.......version. Comes out of the speakers like a run away train.....Jesus....Supernaut is the one being used as a test....Geezers bass is like a heart beat......at about the 30 second mark....geezer goes berserk....again about the 1 minute mark...Still need to digest it......so far I like the work done this recording . when the percussion section hits it blasts off......no one has ever done it better...some odd hissing in a few spots no sure what that is.....but who cares.....now snow blind.........

14. Mike Campbell

the 2116 sounds brighter to me also....

zen likes this.
  15. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend a version of this CD that doesn't have the long dropout during "Wheels of Confusion"? It's on the 2016 CD but not on the original US WB, which I have but of course isn't that great. The drop-out is in the right channel and starts at 4:52 and lasts for about 25 seconds. There was a version posted on YouTube that had a 2009 copyright and that had it too.

16. zen

zen Senior Member

Had a chance last night to compare the 2009 and 2016 re-masters...thanks to a friend who let me borrow the 2016 version. I did an A/B of the first two tracks only, with my main focus being the drum set. Essentially, the 2016 cymbals didn't sound natural. They're far too bright for my taste. So, I'm thrilled to have the 2009 version. My friend was happy with the 2016 CD...and I know for a fact, he's a little hard of hearing so the added highs must be a godsend.

Same booklet in the 2009 version.

17. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Zen - "My friend was happy with the 2016 CD...and I know for a fact, he's a little hard of hearing so the added highs must be a godsend."

I have a little high end hearing issues and the 2016 sounds nice, to me too.

John Bliss, zen and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did you compare any of the other 2016 Remasters?

19. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2016 is similar to the original UK Porky vinyl tho. I'm sure this is one of those albums where the master tapes have deteriorated and lost some top end. I can definitely hear dropouts on more recent remasters. Many people on here seem to think this is how this album is supposed to sound. Many versions are muddy and veiled sounding.

driverdrummer and MadCajun like this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

Last year...

21. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

The 2016 Vol. 4 is good for analyzing the music. The late 80's version is good for listening to the music.
    In Changes, one of the more other-worldly Sabbath works, the 2016, in its clarity and brightness, has managed to remove all the dreamyness of the mellotron and the piano and put everything in your face. What were they thinking?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Just got my 09 CD today, playing it for the 1st time...This looks to be my go to copy. I liked the 2012 Mastering to but this is better. Less high end sheen but amazing mid range, for me 09 kills. I think I'm done buying Vol 4...It seems like more than just better EQ though...Like it went through better sounding gear.

Music_dude likes this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The 2016 CD has a shorter running time than the 2009, anyone know what happened here? I have not had the time to see what the earlier CDs have for total run time. It is not just a case of time between tracks.

24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I think the 2009 has the coda after "Wheel Of Confusion"...or was it the 1996 version ??? That could explain the different playing time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.