Black Sabbath Vol. 4 Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I mentioned this very thing some two pages ago: almost verbatim.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Oh..... so you mean that......huh?:confused:

Mark J, hi_watt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

30 Pages! Even my two Stones threads didn’t make it to 30 pages!!

4. Rose River Bear

Great job and a great choice for an SBS thread. What's next? SBS? :D:D:D

el supernautico and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

I’m currently running Holland by The Beach Boys; after that, here’s a list of albums I’ve got lined up
    1. Genesis, Nursery Cryme
    2. John Lennon, Walls and Bridges
    3. Miles Davis, Sorcerer
    4. REM, Reckoning
    5. Deep Purple, Come Taste the Band
    6. The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
    7. Allman Bros Band, Brothers and Sisters

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Wow Nursery Cryme. Cool.
    I could not subject anyone to technical reviews of that music. Especially Seven Stones.
    I vote the Allmans since I already wrote reviews on it in my ABA thread. I'm getting lazy. :cool:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

That is because Sabbath rules! You helped too. :D

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Miles Davis would be great. At some point I want to do a Kind of Blue song by song thread.

Doggiedogma and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Go for it, I can’t wait.

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Under the fin Sun! So good. So heavy. So memorable and otherworldly. Love these too. 10 of 10

Thanks all. Great discussions. Rock on!!!!!!!!

Zoot Marimba and Rick Robson like this.
  11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Under the Sun

Love the proto-Doom Metal opening riff. When the song breaks open, I love Ozzy's vocals (not crazy about how they're recorded, though). Iommi delivers a couple of killer solos, and The Warden brings it on drums, as usual - I especially like him at the 2:41 mark.

A pretty epic way to end the album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Under The Sun shows how great Sabbath were at at writing songs where seemingly different sections flowed together effortlessly. You have the slow, doomy intro, the sludgy shuffle of the main verse, the fast part in the middle, then back into the verse, and then into the outro riff that gradually slows down before grinding to a cold stop.

Zoot Marimba and GregM like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I commented on Meehan’s participation in post # 699.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, there seems to have been more thought/organization to the abrupt changes that are the hallmark of Sab. But I wouldn't say Under the Sun is more evolved than the type of change-ups we saw on MoR. Under the Sun lurches from one heavy riff to the next with more purpose, though, because it leads to that thrash section. I think this gave rise not just to modern metal and grunge but to the punk movement. And Iommi knows how to create headbanging power chords so effortlessly. A real gift.

Doggiedogma and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Iirc, my very favourite off MoR "Lord Of This World" is the only one from that album which features a relatively comparable intro, not that slow and doomy like in Under The Sun, besides it being briefly repeated in the middle of the song. Two enough reasons for putting the latter's intro in the War Pig's league .

P.S.:
    The Master Of Reality Deluxe Expanded Edition 2009 features a killer version of "Lord Of This World" with slide guitar, which gives an astonishing bluesy feeling to it. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thanks to this thread I’ve sat down and really listened. Knew the first three well and never gave the rest of the Ozzy period much of a chance. Foolish me...

Paulette, Soundhead and Rick Robson like this.
  17. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Under the Sun
    Is it just me or does Sab music have incredible sexual energy?John's voice, for sure. Anyway, to me, Under the Sun does. It is a song that has "let's ****" written all up in it. The power and rebellion are quickening.
    I feel the music in me this way and wonder if anyone else does.
    I think oh, it's supposed to be Barry White or Boys to Men or something that usually makes someone feel like that.
    Not me, it's dark demented Sabbath.
    Something's wrong with me.

BDC likes this.
  18. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

^Highly sensual in the way it seducts me, even though being spiritual at the same breath.

Paulette likes this.
  19. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Under the Sun/Everyday Comes and Goes- Quite a fitting ending to an exhilarating and high mark within their repertoire, Under the Sun begins with a downtrodden, sludgy intro until Iommi introduces the chugging, driving riff with Geezer and Bill accompanying with a tried and true pulsating backing rhythm and Ozzy's declarative vocal lead. Mid-way through, the number kicks into high gear with a classic Sabbath thrash rhythm courtesy of Bill and drives the number into a high speed gallop before reverting back to the song's original tempo. Somewhat moody, but defiant and proud as the song's coda hears Iommi delivering multi-tracked leads amid the descending rhythm pattern, of which those leads recall a bit of War Pig's refrain, this number remains the icing atop of a splendid cake that was made well and garnered the group another specific notch of important growth in creativity.

Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes- 9 out of 10 rating or an "A".

Vol 4- 9 out of 10 or an A rated release. One of my top 5 favorites in their catalog.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

No. Nothing wrong at all if that's the way it makes you feel. That's what's great about music and the human ear's reaction to it. Like a painting or a sculpture, everyone has a different angle or interpretation as to what is perceived. And as such with music. My feeling of Under the Sun is that of a start to the day, it's a perfect number to "get up and go" to. Great song to listen to while driving down the freeway!:cool:

Paulette likes this.
  21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Great job @Musicman1998 been checking on thread work been keeping me away, anyway nice thread love this era of Sabbath and would love your take on Sabotage, like your ratings of Volume 4

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Good Lord... you really got to ignore Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage???!!!
    Respect!:tiphat::D
    But hey, it's never too late, and I hope you enjoy your ride!

23. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Well, I guess the participants have done a very fine job: I have decided that I must have this album :)

BluesOvertookMe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

This is definitely a must have LP

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

So are Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and the underrated Sabotage

Greenalishi and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.