Black Sabbath Vol. 4 Super Deluxe with Steven Wilson mixes coming 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Aw, shucks! :hugs:

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Gus Tomato

The 2009’s are very highly regarded here (bar a few exceptions) - I’m just a bit of an oddball who detests digipaks with a passion and likes a decent booklet with a non-compressed cd (the vast majority of my beloved CDs are pre-1991 I would say).

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I wonder how those people came to believe that.

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I saw it written on a restroom stall wall. Figured it must be true.

5. Raf

Raf Senior Member

By listening?

blacksabbathrainbow and damnit like this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Don’t let the party poopers get ya down, it’s a great release and actually gets better with each listen. I’m certainly enjoying the hell out of it.

Jam757, wrat, KeninDC and 9 others like this.
  7. David67

David67 Forum Resident

So will I be when the price is right not only for this set but Paranoid too. BTW, are you listening to the vinyl release or CD?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

CD set, and I’ve also got the CD set for Paranoid, fantastic stuff.

As a side note I’m also enjoying the new Mob Rules deluxe CD set more and more with each listen.

wrat, jmadad, Curveboy and 4 others like this.
  9. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Ok good to know about the reversed channels and coda.
    I have as of right now the 2004 repressing for Vol4
    Do you know if that one has the corrected channels?
    I probably had seen that in Roland's thread awhile back.
    I have the 1991 Tecp for Vol4 too
    Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
    Interesting that some folks rank it high up as a favorite disc :)

10. Gus Tomato

There was a 2004 repress of the 96 Castles on the Sanctuary label. I would say it’s more than likely it’s the exact same with the reversed channels.

As for the 91 Japan Vol 4, I know Dissidence rates it highly. I’m sure there are better versions but I like old CDs - to me 2009 is still way too modern :laugh:

damnit likes this.
  11. jmcgoldrick

jmcgoldrick Forum Resident

I don’t usually buy stuff like this, but I picked this one up on vinyl for $100 on Amazon over the weekend. I’ve been on a bit of a Sabbath kick lately and haven’t been buying many records lately, so figured why not?

I love the sludgier songs on this album and really am excited to hear the live tracks since I never ended up buying Past Lives. If all goes well I may get the Paranoid super deluxe next!

12. Gus Tomato

[​IMG]

50 years ago today.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

And the UK is still getting screwed on price, with Amazon UK wanting £65. I'd say I'd stretch to £50.... so still some way to go I'm afraid.

DementedAvenger and David67 like this.
  14. David67

David67 Forum Resident

For a fiver more and a limited time offer at Amazon, I managed to bag Pilots of PurpleTwilight to add to the superb In Search of Hades.

Vaughan likes this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I know man, the Sabbath pricing is ridiculous. I have heard the two bonus discs, and I like them. But the pricing is just wrong.

blacksabbathrainbow and David67 like this.
  16. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

It appears Amazon US is out of stock and fulfilling via third party sellers at much higher pricing now. Good thing I got my order in when stock was under 10.

May want to keep a close eye on the UK side.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. You are sure you are talking about Black Sabbath? I've been following the Sabbath mastering discussions on this forum for years, and that's not at all the impression I got.

I have no idea what @Gus Tomato did to you to deserve that comment, but I know I've never ever seen him behave the way you suggest he did.

I don't know where you got that impression. Maybe you're referring not to the 2009 through 2011 but some earlier Sanctuary issues? With the exceptions of Paranoid (which turned out to be a copy of the 1996 Castle remaster), TE, NSD (both of which turned out to be remastered not by Pearce but someone else) and Dehumanizer (where the Sanctuary remaster turned out to be a copy of the original CD), the Black Sabbath 2009 through 2011 Sanctuary remasters are among the most highly praised on this forum.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  18. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Added compression both the 2009 and 2016 even if it’s minimal

19. Maybe. But there also seems to be a mentality of feeling personally offended by any criticism leveled at a new remaster.

Also, the Black Sabbath 2009 through 2011 Sanctuary remasters received quite a bit of acclaim on this forum when they came out.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Purple and rnranimal like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh well yes, it goes back many years long before you were here, and it's not just Sabbath, those super-ultra rare ones that top the best would include Pink Floyd. You should check those threads out some time for some good holy grail reads.
    You act like I threatened his life over a disc suggestion. I only said there are always folks that make the claims of grail versions of discs said to be the best (that may or may not be true), and they are often (or always) the rare, nearly impossible-to-find, or most expensive issues. That is true.

damnit likes this.
  21. It may well be the case for other bands, but this is a black Sabbath thread.

No, you were just being rude to him over a disc suggestion. A disc you obviously know nothing about, since all you've been saying were overgeneralizations.

"Always" is almost always wrong. So it is in this case. Sabbath have released 20 studio albums (if we include The Devil You Know). For the majority of those, the most commonly recommended CDs are not Japanese.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The difficulty here is that in this case, the purported "best versions" are relatively obscure and therefore expensive. And I mean EXPENSIVE. These being the SACD's from Japan. I've been lucky enough to hear some of those, and I have no doubt that if you want the very best version, they should be your go to releases.

That said, at $150 per copy for some of those, they're way over the price bracket for most of us. So, we must settle for something more realistic price wise. In other words, if the question is: "What is the best version" of these titles, the answer (I believe) are the SACD's. But once tempered by not wanting to pay those kind of prices, other versions, such as the 2009's, come into focus.

It's not something to get upset about. Well, unless you want to get upset about prices............

wrat and Curveboy like this.
  23. The SACD is great, but the 2009 remaster is great too, so there's not really that much of a difficulty here, no need to settle with a bad mastering.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh goodness me, given the number of versions out there - with many of them being very reasonably priced - there's never a need to settle for subpar on these titles, imo.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'll give you Pink Floyd, I've read a bunch of those threads over the years, but I say no to your claim that it was the same with Black Sabbath.

In the olden days, the general recommendation for Sabbath was to get the old Castle editions, some old Warners, etc. In other words, the ordinary domestic CDs that were plentiful and cheap second hand either side of the Atlantic. The most esoteric editions used to be the Japanese twofer with Paranoid, an early Japanese press for Heaven And Hell, and that's about it. There were never any super-ultra-rare, absolute-must-have "grail" editions for Sabbath 20 years ago and there aren't now either. Fortunately, the general best sound for their core catalogue has always been inexpensive and easy to find. If anyone wants to go spend a couple hundred on some rare pressing and then they come saying it's the best thing ever, who cares.