Black Sabbath Vol. 4 Super Deluxe with Steven Wilson mixes coming 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Ooh, love to hear any Sabbath outtakes and remixes!

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. No outtakes etc on the SHM-SACD so this is essential nevertheless,

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I hope for a better mastering as the Paranoid Deluxe debacle!

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

No surround mix, pass.

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

There will probably be a 1 or 2CD version as well.

Joti Cover and moops like this.
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Hope your right. A partial remix of some outtakes and a live disc for 99 squid? The rest is largely redundant for me.

Doggiedogma and JoeF. like this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Weird disc 2. Steve Wilson mixes of "outtakes". But then disc 3 is alternate takes. What's the difference between outtakes and alternate takes and why would Wilson only be used to mix some of them?

I personally have zero interest in a remix of the album but the rest of the set is certainly interesting. I just hope they don't bone it up in mastering like usual.

8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I bet that disc 2 is not straight outtakes but assembled versions using different takes to create a Wilson sort of semi finished product.
    An alternate way to get new versions out there without remixing the original. If the case, I kind of like the idea. I suppose we'll get the best ever mastering of Live at last, and I wonder if the guy listed as having mixed it is different from the mix we know?

More stuff to create suckage from my wallet....

supernaut likes this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, this is pretty surprising/disappointing, particularly given the high price point. With these Wilson packages, the stereo remix is pretty much secondary to the surround for me. It's strange that he'd get involved without going all out here, though I guess he did the same thing with Chicago.

Vol 4 is probably my least favorite of the original Ozzy albums, so I'll likely pass on this one, though I'm curious about the live stuff.

10. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I'm in. Very interesting release. Hopefully SDE of other Ozzy-era albums to follow.

11. Count me in

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I wonder if the live material is a newly remixed, or is it the same vintage mix that was used on Live at Last?

13. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I think I will be in on this. Not a massive sabbath fan but I am a massive Vol.4 and Steven Wilson fan. Interested if released in an LP Set

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Can't Wait! Hoping the live material is not the Live At Last album. Sabbath other live material in the vaults from 73.

slipkid and hi_watt like this.
  15. Doctor Flang

AFAIK Sabs recorded two shows on that UK Tour on Rolling Stone Mobile: Manchester and London. Live at Last was taken from those tapes and most likely so is this. At least the setlist is corrected.

16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Meh, this really isnt that interesting especially considering the price tag

slipkid, hi_watt and Lovecraft like this.
  17. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Given the reshuffled track listing which seems to reflect the set list of the time more accurately, I’d go out on a limb and say it won’t be just the Live at Last material straight up (though weirder things have happened especially in the Black Sabbath catalog so we will see).

Hopefully a press release will happen soon, I am very intrigued by this. I’m hoping the current listed price isn’t indicative of what it will actually be when it’s announced. If it is, it better come with a nice book at least.

ODShowtime and Instant Dharma like this.
  18. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

As Edwin, Duke of York, so famously said on the eve of the Battle of Agincourt, "Shut up and take my money!"

Instant Dharma and Goldy like this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

WHATTT!!? :faint:

*fans self*

Sean likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Possibly from the same 2 shows, but all things point to a remix from Multitrack tapes, and in a different running order...probably the correct running order, too. Live At Last didn’t have Supernaut, for example.

Anonamemouse and ODShowtime like this.
  22. Doctor Flang

Really?

23. My thought is it will actually be a 3 CD and 1 DVDV or BR once it’s announced.

24. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

After sleeping on this, I’m still not quite sure what to make of it. I’ll be really interested to hear Wilson’s take on how he became involved and why his involvement seems restricted to a handful of outtakes.

The album itself isn’t one of favorites, but I’ll wait for a fuller story on all the discs, and a settled price before making a final decision.

Like others, though, I hope these types of releases continue because for other Sabbath albums, I’d be all in from the start.