Black Sabbath Vol. 4 Super Deluxe with Steven Wilson mixes coming 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Nov 11, 2020.

1. I would imagine the DVDV or BR will be used for audio (high resolution and/or surround) but added video is a possibility.

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Those are most likely the manufacturer suggested retail prices. Should come down substantially soon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Sean, danielbravo and OE3 like this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I only dabble in HR audio for unique improved mastering's, not because I have hearing range like a dog.
    IMO HR is most often a gimmick..... not a point I'd care to argue with anyone who disagrees, just my belief. I don't own a surround system and have no room to install one, and I really have minimal interest there. Stereo is my priority. I don't really even see Vol 4 as a good candidate for surround, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I'll have to see what packages emerge.

4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Interesting. I typically don’t like these remix deals but Vol. 4 has a few tracks that were always a bit of a mess. It was the first band produced record, which probably means Iommi did 95% of it. There are so many guitar tones and layers on this album that I’m not sure how it will sound if too much revision is attempted.

There are a few tracks that, IMO, need little if any work: Snowblind, Tomorrow’s Dream, Laguna Sunrise and Changes are pretty much perfect to my ears.

The two that have room for what could be significant improvement are Wheels Of Confusion and Under The Sun. The former gets busy and the bass gets lost in the mix, and the latter lacks overall bottom end.

This is a Top 10 Rock album of all time for me, so that vinyl box will likely be impossible to resist. I could listen to Wheels Of Confusion a thousand times and never tire of it. There will never be another band who could pull that off.

Sean, Joti Cover, ODShowtime and 9 others like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I totally forgot about Supernaut. With Live At Last, the mix is very flat with little bottom end. And, Children Of The Grave fades out. I always found that disappointing. We don’t even know where this show comes from. If it is a remix of Live At Last, that could be great

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm in for the records hopefully.
    Depends on who masters it.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  7. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

This is interesting, yet really surprising. I wouldn’t have expected Wilson to tackle Sabbath after Yes and Chicago. Certainly cool, but a bit of a head scratcher.
    That said, if the CD set is reasonable, I’m in.

8. how much is the four cd set in USD???

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I like all three bands as well.

Joti Cover and Tim1954 like this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's only half the album on the V4 outtakes disc, though.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yeah this is a bit puzzling. I have no idea if these outtakes have ever been released before, but the use of the word "remix" for something no one's ever heard makes little (if any) sense. I'll hold out for some more details but right now this has "digital download" written all over it for me.

blacksabbathrainbow and hi_watt like this.
  12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I was hoping for a whole disc of FX outtakes.

BDC, Jam757, FVDnz and 16 others like this.
  13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

A setlist online claims that the March 11 '73 show is where "Hole in the Sky" was first played. If that's true, then maybe the show on this set is the March 16th show. A setlist for the 16th has the same songs as this upcoming set but in a different order.

14. :biglaugh:

Jmoog likes this.
  15. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Some years ago Steven mentioned a major rock band asked him to remix their catalogue but they couldn't find all the multitracks. I wonder if this is that project.

Anyways I'm probably in. The six songs he remixed are probably my favorites on the album anyways. Who knows maybe on the outtake of Snowblind Tony actually tuned his guitar?

Also would love to see a remix of Technical Ecstasy. Just recently realized how terrible that mix is, but not a terrible album.

16. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Really? A terrible mix? How so? Sounds fine to me.

That said, I'd guess I'd be willing to at least hear a remix of the album, so long as any superdeeeluxe box of such an album was to ever arise (and I'd be highly in favor of that as, to me, Technical Ecstasy is one of the most criminally underrated hard rock records ever.) :thumbsup:

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Maybe this has been mentioned but I'm still a bit fuzzy - is Wilson remixing the original album or just the outtakes?

I'd like to see a 5.1 mix of this album (or any Sabbath album really) but I'm not really that jazzed about a stereo remix. Seems gratuitous.

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The tuning on Snowblind is C#. It is not “out of tune” unless anything outside A440 is playing tricks on your ears.

Not sure I’d rate my original UK or US vinyl of Technical Ecstasy as “terrible” but I’d like to hear it opened up a bit. That album was overproduced by Iommi, IMO. Just too much time spent on it. It lacks almost anything that sounds sonically organic. Way too many layers. Some tracks work better than others.

19. warpig

warpig Senior Member

I see some mention something about vinyl. Is there going to be a vinyl release also? Thanks

20. This, and I’ll go one step further, imho - the most!

MechanicalAnimal6 and giantleech like this.
  21. I suspect with Steve Wilson’s’ involvement there will be a multi channel aspect to the box. I’ve sent an email to the S.O. camp to inquire and hopefully I can shed some light, otherwise we wait for formal announcement. It’s imminent so it seems from Amazon placeholders.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    dkmonroe likes this.
  22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

If the album multitracks are lost, hopefully Steven Wilson can at least mix the outtakes in surround sound. Will be very disappointed if there are no surround mixes in this box set.

J_Surround, Frank Field and Plan9 like this.
  23. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Gah! If there was ever an album that needed a ground-up remix. Still, I've learned to live with its soupiness over the years.

was the 'problem' something to do with Iommi's amp set-up in the studio? Or was that a red herring?

pexie likes this.
  24. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Maybe he just really clicked with Sharon? She's always seemed to easy to work with.

Rob6899 and Lovecraft like this.
  25. They definitely haven't. No outtakes from Vol. 4 have ever been released.

It's been a while since I have listened to my Vol. 4 tour live bootlegs - was Hole in the Sky played at all before the Sabotage tour? Many of the setlists on setlists.fm are full of errors because created by random people and/or from memory, so if that's the only source I'd be very skeptical.

I don't know.

Crimson Witch likes this.