Black Summer (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Yup I had to go back and watch the end of the previous episode a 2nd time because I was sure I missed something. Definitely seems like they dropped an episode or something.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

:laugh:..I did the same as I started to think I had accidentally ended the previous episode too early and I missed something.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Just finished it tonight and thought it was pretty good full of action and very intense. Yes the zombie thing has been done to death now but this short series had plenty of thrills and I liked the cast. One of my favorite members loses his life in the final episode, that sucked.

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hope S02 is better

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

S2 starts 17 June

6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Season 2 is very tense ... maybe Walking Dead should hire these writers.

vegafleet, MikeInFla and noname74 like this.
  7. noname74

Would you say it’s better than season 1?

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Cool! Downloading now!

9. masswriter

I liked season 1, and so I thought the second was just as good.

I don't really understand the hate some people have for black summer ... walking dead is unwatchable and so this is a marked improvement for this genre.

What I love in Black Summer is that the characters take action when they need to, they don't spend a whole season talking about it ...

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Agree on all counts. Liked both seasons of Black Summer, and both seasons are far better than p0st-season-four Walking Dead.

I hope Black Summer comes back for a 3rd season, but I hope it doesn't hang around for a bunch of additional seasons, jump the shark, and become a post-apocalyptic soap opera like The Walking Dead did.

11. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Three episodes into Season 2 and it's been great so far. Way more energy and intensity then The Walking Dead. TWD seems like a soap opera compared to the intense realism and brutality of Black Summer.

masswriter likes this.
  12. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I liked S1 (some episodes were really good and different) so I'm glad to see S2 has arrived.

masswriter likes this.
  13. noname74

Watched episode 1 of season 2 and I am lost. Either I have forgotten a lot about season 1 or this episode was meant to be confusing?

14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Wow! Episode 1 of S2 felt like the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but then with rabies infected zombies. Intense!

Johnny66 and Bruce Racket like this.
  15. masswriter

I found a rewatch of season 1 realigned me with the characters. For example, Lance was MIA by the end of Season 1 after he is chased by a zombie horde. He reappears on Season 2, Ep. 1 to close that arc.

noname74 likes this.
  16. MikeInFla

This might be my problem too as it was so long ago I don't remember anyone. Already on episode 4 (S2) now so I don't want to go back and catch up with season 1 so I will let it roll for now.

17. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I loved Z Nation. Yes, it was mega-stupid, but at least it knew it was mega-stupid and was all the more entertaining for it, unlike the po-faced upitselfedness (sometimes only made up words will do) of 'The Walking Dead'.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Season One had some semblance of a storyline. I watched the initial
    episode of the second year last night. It was just non-stop cartoon -
    like violence aimed squarely at adolescent males...imo. Shall I keep
    watching?

20. noname74

I wasn’t thrilled with episode one either but decided to watch a couple more episodes and things are coming together after a very confusing episode one. Will stick with it I think.

Daryl M likes this.
  21. masswriter

I guess I'm an adolescent male ... it kept my attention.

Daryl M likes this.
  22. MikeInFla

On episode 6 now and it is quite odd how they jump around. I really need to go back and watch the first season because I just don't remember much about it and I haven't made a connection to any characters yet. I just don't remember if any of them are in the first one. I did like episode 5 as it had a lot of dialogue between Spears and Braithwaite.

23. noname74

I wish Netflix had 5 minute recaps available for past seasons so we could quickly refresh our memories when a subsequent season comes out a year or two later.

Curveboy, Macman and MikeInFla like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am always a little suspicious of a drama that feels the need to fracture the narrative and indulge in constant flashbacks and flashforwards. To me it betrays a lack of confidence in the material. I am enjoying Season 2 but I remember enjoying Season 1 more.

25. noname74

I am up to episode 7 and am enjoying it to a point however I must admit that after each episode I check out the Wikipedia episode recap for that episode as I am often confused who some of these people are after it being two years since I watched season 1. A little 5-10 min season one recap would really have been helpful.

It’s definitely the anti-Walking Dead (at least the last few years of WD)…very few character detours or exposition and more constant action.

MikeInFla likes this.