BlackkKlansman (new Spike Lee film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Almost immediately after 9/11, there was a sharp uptick in violence against those perceived to be Middle Eastern and/or Muslim (including turban-wearing Indian Sikhs).

IronWaffle, Chris DeVoe and Grant like this.
  2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You do know this is a true story, right? And you do know why people go down the kkk path, dont you?

Grant likes this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think you answered your own critique here. Sure, there's a lot of ground this movie could have covered in terms of race relations, what leads to/fuels racist behavior, institutional racism within police departments, etc. Lee did, in my opinion, a decent job of bringing those subjects up for context, but the movie wasn't really about all of that - it was about this one particular cop and this one particular investigation. And I think it did a great job of covering that.

Taxman and brownie61 like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, I know it's based on a true story, but it's not a "true story" in all - or even most - ways. It takes a slew of liberties - changes the year, invents characters, makes up events, etc.

Lee didn't commit to the facts here, so he could've done whatever he wanted.

I think the "why" of the path to the KKK is less simple than you imply. The question is what brought the people to believe what they believe, a subject touched on in "American History X", like I mentioned.

Not all bigots are identical, and not all bigots follow the same path to their beliefs...

mrjinks likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

I disagree that the film covers the cop and the investigation well, but even if it did, I'd still fault the film for the other deficits because Lee made it about those topics.

He didn't write/direct a simply police procedural - he created an explicitly political/cultural document that intends to comment on those subjects.

Lee couldn't make an apolitical film if he tried - and with "Inside Man", he kinda did try, but even there, he injected his political POV.

I don't criticize Lee for his decision to pursue political commentary with "Klansman" in and of itself - I do criticize the hamfisted way he did it!

6. Slippers-on

Its Hollywood, they always do that...so Im not surprised one bit.

And the why of your question can be found in the documentary "the uncomfortable Truth". check it out.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Grant likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I'm from D.C. too, and my first thought was "joint venture" (as far as production financing went, anyway).

8. Oatsdad

Again, I'm not saying that I'm personally seeking the "why" behind the KKK - just saying "Klansman" could've used more depth.

Though I also noted that I don't really fault the movie for the lack of backstory about the KKK members themselves - it's more the thin nature of Ron and the other cops that's an issue. We don't get a lot of insight into those roles.

Also, whoever made Ron's wig needs to be fired! That's the worst wig I've seen in a long time - it looks like they bought it at a dollar store! :laugh:

9. Oatsdad

I get why that sounds good, but I don't think it makes sense in the context Lee uses it.

Lee utilizes "joint" to mean "film". No director ever bills his/her movie as a "Ridley Scott Joint Venture" or whatever - it's a "Ridley Scott Film" or the like.

I think Lee just thought it sounded cool and that was that - I don't think there's more of a backstory behind it... :shrug:

Lightworker likes this.
  10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Wonder if Lee has ever been asked about that in an interview. Some of his "joints' have been skunk weed, unfortunately.

11. Oatsdad

He must have discussed this at some point over the last 30+ years! I didn't dig deeply but I couldn't find anything.

The truth is out there! :)

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I like this definition from Urban Dictionary:

Rhapsody In Red, Oatsdad and Grant like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Honestly it may well be the best way to approach it. Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock have contributed more to the cultural dialogue about race than Spike Lee has in his entire career, for better or worse.

goodiesguy and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Richard Pryor

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

True, I was thinking mostly of contemporary comedians. But I would put Chris Rock's "[N word] vs. Black People" bit up against anything Pryor ever did. It was revolutionary.

goodiesguy, vince and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

To me, "hate groups" is an oxymoron, I hate most people so I avoid "groups" whenever possible. :unhunh:

17. Slippers-on

Did you see the interview with Spike and the real black cop who was the black Klansman? And did see where Spike said David Duke called him up to ask how Spike portrait him? I gathered from that interview it was mainly about the black cop and how they did it. Nothing more, nothing less. You sound like you want a 10 part series with 2 or 3 seasons one can binge watch on Netfix.

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Outsider

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm not so sure about that. But, in your support, it was Richard Pryor who really got the ball rolling by allowing us to look at racial (and gender) issues. Eddie Murphy took it further. Murphy lacked the finesse of Pryor, and was more blunt, but he zeroed in on the things we should be discussing.

I don't think David Chappelle is that funny, and, increasingly, comedians only speak to the choir. We are so culturally divided as a nation now that we only want to hear from those entertainers that seem aligned with our own world view. It used to be that anyone listened to Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy. Now, David Chappelle has a specific audience, and Jeff Foxworthy (or whomever is popular on that side these days) has a specific audience, so their ability to spark discussion has greatly diminished.

action pact and alexpop like this.
  20. Slippers-on

And I'd put Rudy Ray Moore "Dolemite" up against either of them...lol!

For you movie buffs....

"On June 7, 2018, it was announced that Craig Brewer would direct Dolemite Is My Name from a script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski with Netflix producing and distributing. Eddie Murphy was set to star as Moore.[13][14] Later that month, the rest of the principal cast was announced.[15][16][17] In July 2018, Chris Rock and Ron Cephas Jones joined the cast.[18] Principal photography began on June 12, 2018.[19]"

Rudy Ray Moore - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  21. Oatsdad

Uh, no.

I wanted a movie with well-fleshed-out characters that has some real depth.

It can be done in the 2:25 or so "Klansman" runs! It can be done in less time! I've seen it!

Larry Mc likes this.
  22. Slippers-on

I don't doubt you that it can be done. But we all have our own opinions

23. Chris DeVoe

Vickie just came back from seeing this one for a second time. She hadn't intended to but missed the film she been planning to see, and it was $5 Tuesdays so what the heck. She said it gained a lot of additional resonance on the second viewing.

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think Spike Lee's purpose for the movie is to send a message, and he revealed one of his goals a few days ago. Do a Google search. I'm not repeating it here.

25. Oatsdad

Yeah, I get his goals. Lee isn't subtle - his goals are spray-painted all over the movie.

That doesn't mean I have to judge the end result as a raging success despite its weaknesses as a film...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.