BlackkKlansman (new Spike Lee film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I saw the film today ! great film! I think Spike Lee gave both sides a decent view point ! its a confronting film as it should be !

Taxman, Lightworker and smilin ed like this.
  2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Uhhh... he did?

I don't think many people would walk out of that movie thinking, "Wow, the Klan are so misunderstood..."

razerx likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, no one feels that way - obviously Lee didn't attempt to give the KKK's perspective.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are stories to be told about what brings a person to the KKK or any group defined by bigotry, but "Klansman" wasn't that film - and it shouldn't have been.

Woulda been nice to know what brought the lead character to his place in history, though!

4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

You should visit the United States sometime. Your perspective might change.

Scott222C likes this.
  6. Oh boy!

Why do we still call them films? They don't even shoot on film anymore.

razerx, Grant and Lightworker like this.
  7. Four thousand holes in Spike Lee's movie script
    And thought the plot was rather small,
    I stayed and watched it all
    And I'm not that really sure why I bothered to remain that long...:)

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"They Shoot Films, Don't They?"

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was thinking about the concept of "hate groups" the other day. So here we have lonely people, so hungry for SOME form of friendship, so much so that they join a group based on HATE for companionship. What? o_O

I hope there's a lot of infighting among the KKK, that they're always killing each other or carving themselves up, and that they don't go fishin' or share chili recipes together, or I would be sadly disappointed by the quality of their HATE!

If I was going to start a hate group, a prerequisite would be killing your family to earn your place among the "haters." Then we would be talking about one tough group! ;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Lightworker likes this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That isn’t true in the least. They have just contributed more to a culture or parts of a culture you necessarily subscribe to or recognize.

There’s a part in the movie where Kwame explains to blacks in attendance why they should perceive themselves as beautiful. You might also not consider that a contribution to cultural dialogue, but you’d be wrong.

There is no “cultural dialogue” possible when part of the participants are considered inferior in the first place, so perhaps that’s where Kwame and Spike come in.

12. Lightworker

There are probably a lot more 'Bronies' in the United States than actual
    K.K.K. members these days. If it weren't for the outrage-driven mainstream
    media, we wouldn't even know that the Klan still existed...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't think either of us can prove that one way or the other. I need to see this film, and I can have a more valid opinion, but I suspect Dave Chappell's "Black Klansman" sketch will have more lasting impact than this film.

goodiesguy and Lightworker like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Now you have me visualizing Bronie Klansmen in pink robes and hoods.

Lightworker likes this.
  15. Lightworker

[​IMG]

Pink power! Pink power!

Chris DeVoe and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’m with Colin all the way on this one. I had high expectations going in, but thought it was just a mess. I think it would’ve worked much better as a black comedy, overall. The klansmen were cartoon characters straight out of some sort of Mississippi swamp - illiterate inbreds with bad teeth and sinister grins. But sadly, there wasn’t much comedy, because, despite the trailer emphasizing that aspect, this was high drama, or thought it was.

At one point, a speech exists about how, “if we’re not careful, we could someday wind up with a president that thinks like this... What, not a president of the United States - that couldn’t happen!” Whether you like or dislike the current guy in that job, you can’t help but roll your eyes at the hamfisted insertion of that dialogue in the film. The father from Get Out was a much more compelling and interesting character than these clowns were, just because he wasn’t as obvious a villain. Populate your movie with more of those type characters - klan members who don’t openly display their racism, and you’d have a much more interesting film.

BluesOvertookMe and Oatsdad like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Probably. I've never seen any sign of it. Although I did get a hair cut in South Carolina and got a "Yankee" revenge haircut. What a horrorshow.

Lightworker likes this.
  18. Lightworker

LOL. You should have not have been using the word "youts" so much...

[​IMG]

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Well the folks at Rotten T certainly like it.

20. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

IMO, the film was looking at working inside the system versus outside the system. In that way, it’s similar to Do the Right Thing. But I think it’s newly relevant, particularly WRT police, in the wake of BLM. From that vantage point, I thought it was a pretty nuanced movie, like Do the Right Thing. It’s pretty clear that Lee sees the appeal of both arguments (inside versus outside).

I don’t think the membership of the actual KKK is relevant. As we’ve seen in my town and elsewhere, there are plenty of racist groups that aren’t KKK.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, most aren't even connected to any particular group. They're your neighbor, your co-worker, cop, teacher, insurance agent, dentist...

IronWaffle likes this.
  22. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Well said Grant...no doubt about it.
    Very sad indeed.

Grant likes this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, they may even treat minorities and women with courtesy, but don't be fooled!

action pact likes this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I would say it’s more for what the movie says, and that it’s a knock against you-know-whom, than about how good the movie actually is.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Lightworker

That's what they used to call "outside agitators" way back when. But it seems like one side has a bigger budget that the other these days...and are consistently given a 'free pass' by the media when things start to get get ugly and violent. I don't want to have to choose between putting up with either professional commies or weekend nazis. History has proven that both suck in every context imaginable.

Scott222C and Dudley Morris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.