Blackmore on Satriani

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by townsend, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I mentioned McLaughlin because he is in part a rock player who played and mastered cranked Marshalls. I don't consider Mahavishnu Orchestra completely outside the realm of rock. I agree Jazz players generally shouldn't be compared with rock players, the former being much more sophisticated. Vai is an interesting case, he may be able to go quite far in jazz, I haven't spent a lot of time with much of his music. I question very much J. Becks ability to play jazz rhythm guitar, and I consider him a rock legend and great. I don't think he's a real jazz player. That said, I'm sure some honest and legit jazz players admire his phrasing. I'm also sure many can't get past their ego's.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I've never thought of music as a competition so 98% of the posts here are needless arguing to me. Guitar playing is not an olympic sport. It shouldn't be judged in that manner. I only have one real criteria: does the song, or performance or solo deliver some sort of emotional response or connection? If so, I like it and stick around. If not, I move on.........

Old Rusty, MoonPool, SG47 and 5 others like this.
  3. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Someone who definitely subscribes to this philosophy is Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service. He told me that he likes it when he makes a mistake during a solo (not that he intentionally tries making a mistake, because he doesn't), because then he has a job to do -- fixing the mistake by what he plays afterwards. In other words, a wrong note is an opportunity for inspiration and creativity.

4. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

exactly :righton:

showtaper and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I suppose I see it like this: There's a value to having well-developed chops and living within your means, as it were. There's also value in hearing someone play by the seat of his pants, where you're not sure if he's going to stick the landing or not. It's like watching the Michael Jordan-era Chicago Bulls compared to the Knicks in the late '90s. The Bulls were going to hit their marks and make the plays, and Jordan was guaranteed to hit the shot at the buzzer. But Latrell Sprewell might snap and choke his coach. Both teams were entertaining to watch for different reasons.

6. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more, very well put. To me it is irrelevant whether Satriani is technically "perfect" or that Blackmore may be flawed, they have both produced some amazing music and some quite mediocre stuff as well. I don't think, "no, I won't listen to Satriani because he's technically too good, or Blackmore because he may make mistakes". If their music sounds good to me, I listen to it, I don't get hung up on what their credentials are or who they are either. Hendrix is not generally my cup of tea. I like some of his stuff and not others, that neither makes him good or bad in my books. I don't think the Beatles were technically the best either, yet they produced some of the best pop tunes ever and with all their less than perfect playing it still sounds great. Forget the "who's best" arguments, just enjoy the music for what it is and not because of who played it.

7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

McLaughlin may be the only player who could play straight ahead jazz and high octane rock w/distortion, at least in his generation.

Beck can sound exactly like Les Paul, if he wants to. Les was a jazz player at heart, though he ended up blazing his own trail (thank God). I get the feeling Jeff could do anything he set his mind to, but comping behind a horn player isn't his thing at all.

rodentdog likes this.
  8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It certainly did. I had no idea who Steve Vai was until I bought Slip Of The Tongue in January '90, and when Passion And Warfare came out I was very interested in it. I'm sure that was the case with many other people out there.

And I'm glad things went that way. To this day, Passion And Warfare is one of my favouritest albums ever; and to this day, Steve Vai's music continues to be something I'm willing to hear, I always welcome each new album. I'm a bigger fan of his composing/writing than his guitar prowess (I actually don't quite like his improvising). He's written some wonderful melodies (Building The Church just came to mind).

Check out this live version of Oooo. It keeps getting better and better. Fantastic little solo too, and what a pay-off.

drobo and mcchocchoc like this.
  9. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

LOL, Some of that comping behind a horn is extremely difficult, and there's a lot more to playing jazz than that. Anyway I'm a Jeff Beck fan and it won't be enjoyable to keep it real here. He's a gifted player with limitations.. We can agree to disagree. I will say, he does things nobody else does.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for that, it was new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

But what's there that might blow Satriani or [insert name of guitar wizard of choice here] out of the water technically?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm a big Ty Tabor fan and one of the reasons I love his solos so much is that you can hear him get into trouble and work his way back on track. It's like he made a turn and was ok for a minute then the road came to a dead end...he has a little trouble turning around, but eventually gets it.

FVDnz likes this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

"Guitar players I find kind of boring—and that's not meant as a dig. I find myself boring."

There are guitarists who can hold a single note for 16 bars and have it tell a better story than someone else flying all over the fret board.

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

There's an interview with Mike Keneally who has toured with Satriani and he says similar things about Joe. You have to pay to subscribe to the interview channel, but I'll paraphrase...

Joe is great at what he does with melody and I try not to step all over him while playing behind him. I let him do his thing and support it the best way I can.

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Years ago I probably would have agreed with Blackmore. However these days I find that I enjoy and appreciate both sides. IMHO the reason Joe sounds so smooth and like he's not taking chances is at least somewhat because he knows where the notes are in a zillion combinations because he's literally made his whole life about learning music and teaching it to others. It's probably harder to play outside the box when you've already expanded the box beyond what most others can do in the first place . I can totally get behind that. For some guys playing music precisely and to perfection (and I'll add speed) IS a part of their personality on the instrument -not all guys have to be soulful fewer notes are better guitar players like BB King or more stream of conscious players feel like Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck.

So yeah I'd take a guy like Hendrix all day long but often I just like to marvel at listening to a guy who clearly took a more schooled approach to learn his craft (like say a classical/jazz musician)and marvel at the skill it takes to play like that beyond just the musical enjoyment I get.

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Luckily we as music fans don't have to choose one style over another and can enjoy both...all.

Lonecat and mark winstanley like this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yes, but it's rubbish from the soul, so.... ;)

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea and i hate this argument, it is so futile.
    sometimes jj cale is the best guitarist for me ears in the moment, sometimes blackmore, sometimes beck, sometimes vai or satriani, sometimes mclaughlin, sometimes dylan ... the lounge chair expert mentality that some guy plays without feel, because they don't like it, drives me bonkers ... holdsworth cops that stuff a lot too and it makes me want to start punching people .... "serenity now, SERENITY NOW! .... " :) :( :/

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

We're disagreeing? About what? Not sure what's meant by "keeping it real" either.

I can't see Jeff Beck actually playing real jazz. I play off and on with players who do, and yes, it isn't just comping. I used that as an example of something I can't picture Jeff doing.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Depends on who's sharing the experience, I guess.

21. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Satriani has made a career out of instrumental music. That's a very tough job selling it to the masses, it needs plenty of melody and discipline

Stormrider77, McCool71, Murph and 3 others like this.
  22. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes but can they tap, shred or sweep pick appreggios? Surely that's all that matters. :) make guitar great again America!

23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

While I appreciate his technical ability, I find this boring and unmelodic. Just like I find a 20 minute Bonham solo boring.

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Blackmores observations in essence are right on. I've heard Joe say really similar self criticisms very recently. Joe is a musician, a studio type guy who happened to become an act himself. Kind of, to me, like Chet Atkins a superb musician. But less messy or wild than the people they play with. Chet and Joes when left to their own devices can get surgeon like. The rhythm tracks on Joes stuff is just generic. To me Not of This Earth is the best because it is a little more messy and lo fi. Joe and Chet are best when they have a foil, someone to bounce off of.

The thing with Blackmore is he's kind of an a hole in how he says stuff. It's the old thing of getting a compliment then realizing it kind of was an insult. He's that way totally. Ritchie is a great player but his personality is f ed up really. Passive aggressive. Mean kind of guy who presents himself one way but ain't building up anyone just takin' 'em down really. He would be hard to be on the road with i think. But who knows i don't know him. I just know what i've read for years of interviews in Guitar mags. Maybe he's a misunderstood angel who build up everyone around him. Joe from all accounts is a sweet guy. Who does build up those around him. A great teacher too.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Agree it isnt a competition.

However, maybe it should be.
    Couldnt be any worse than rhythmic gymnastics, dressage, or diving.
    And I bet most of us would watch it.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.